Poll: CPL, Sharing the Spoils: When Will All Teams Be Winners?

CPL, Sharing the Spoils: When Will All Teams Be Winners?  

29 members have voted

1. 1. CPL: How Long Will it Take for Every Club to Win the League at Least Once?

• 5-10 years
    • 10-15 years
    • 15-20 years
    • More than 20 years
    • Some club or clubs will never win.

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/25/2022 at 10:00 AM

The longest title drought in the CFL, a league with a similar number of teams to CPL, is 22 years (Ti-Cats). Until 2019 it was 28 years (Blue Bombers). This isn't to say that these teams were necessarily hopeless over all of those years. Part of it is the way randomness works.

I'm not clever enough to do the math on this, but I'm guessing if you picked a name from a hat with 8 names (or 10 or 12 if you want throw in some expansion) 20 times (20 years), more often than not there would be a team or two left out of the winner's circle.

Edited by jonovision

Ah, trick question.  Very sly.

If the Eddies die they'll never win correct?  Or do we simply eliminate them from the polling?  (I'm going to assume they've just never existed in that case).

Two the other 8 teams already have a title and we're in year 4.  Pacific is not going to repeat, or at least it's very unlikely and I'm not so sure Forge is a lock for a 2022 either so we could be 3 different title holders in 4 seasons.  Not bad eh?

That being said I think it's going to be tough sledding for Valour or HFX to win the league unless things dramatically change for either one.  Geography & infrastructure isn't on either one's side.  Valour is developing a "friends with benefits" relationship with Montreal it seems so that might go a ways in speeding up their progress.  

Voted 15-20.  A some point over the next 10-12 years I think everyone will win through.  Sometimes things come together in spite of ourselves, right?

2 minutes ago, Cheeta said:

Ah, trick question.  Very sly.

If the Eddies die they'll never win correct?  Or do we simply eliminate them from the polling?  (I'm going to assume they've just never existed in that case).

P.S.  Should note I'm assuming Edmonton is changing locations.  Either to Ontario or BC which would be a game changer for them of course. 

Edited by Cheeta

• Unnamed Trialist changed the title to Poll: CPL, Sharing the Spoils: When Will All Teams Be Winners?
On 4/10/2022 at 2:44 PM, jonovision said:

I'm not clever enough to do the math on this, but I'm guessing if you picked a name from a hat with 8 names (or 10 or 12 if you want throw in some expansion) 20 times (20 years), more often than not there would be a team or two left out of the winner's circle.

According to the math here https://www.quora.com/How-many-times-do-I-need-to-throw-a-die-to-get-all-the-sides-at-least-once-at-average if you use the same formula but for an 8 sided die it would take 21.74 years on average, assuming the league stays at the same 8 teams.

I went with "more than 20" before doing this math or reading your comment. The "never" option is probably the smartest one.

For anyone curious, the NHL expanded from 6 to 12 teams in the 1967-68 season. The Oakland Seals folded about 10 years later without winning a Stanley Cup. Minnesota North Stars moved to Dallas and won a Stanley Cup in 1999, and the St. Louis Blues were the final expansion team from that year to win a Stanley Cup in 2019, 51 years later. Obviously not at all the same situation since we only have 2 former champions going up against the 6 teams without championships in the CPL compared to 6 former champions going up against the 6 teams without championships in the NHL. And even the most bullish fans are not likely expecting the CPL to expand as much as the NHL did.