CPL 2022 Season Attendance

47 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

That’s weird.  It felt more than 2,600 in the stadium.  Although come to think of it, the two extreme ends were empty.

From the second deck it seemed smaller than your estimate. But people kept rolling in to half time

If your vantage point is a case of looking across a tier where most of the spectators are standing or sitting it's difficult to gauge crowd size accurately. Best vantage point is from the other side of the pitch because it's much easier to see the empty seats that way:

FRJJz5XXMAAKaM2?format=jpg&name=4096x409

If the total capacity is 24,000 and fans can only access roughly half of the seats on one side, you need 40% of those seats filled for a crowd of 2600 in actual as opposed to tickets distributed terms.

Given there will be no shows, people up on the concourse, in the corporate boxes etc, it doesn't look too far off what's reasonable for a tickets distributed number of that size in this picture posted on previous page.

I watched that Ottawa game , they should open the other side and let people sit in a few lower sections on that other side . Even with a few lower sections opened on the other side it would add a bit more to the look of the game on TV and even for people at the game . In watching the York game the other day they added these box style seats on the other open side and had some fans sitting on that side and it actually added a bit to the look of the game even with a few people sitting there , so every little bit helps in enhancing the presentation of the game .

5 minutes ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

The camera angle was from the other side sometimes during Fury USL webstreams so they could easily have the crowd as the backdrop if they wanted to.

I remember them doing this as well, but I suspect that with the MediaPro contract/corporate sponsors the current camera angle is going to stay the norm so that the digital ads can get caught by the camera on the other side of the pitch. 

2 hours ago, SoccMan said:

I watched that Ottawa game , they should open the other side and let people sit in a few lower sections on that other side . Even with a few lower sections opened on the other side it would add a bit more to the look of the game on TV and even for people at the game . In watching the York game the other day they added these box style seats on the other open side and had some fans sitting on that side and it actually added a bit to the look of the game even with a few people sitting there , so every little bit helps in enhancing the presentation of the game .

They choose not to open the North End stands and the upper side of the South End because of staffing/operating costs.  The only time they might open the seats closest to the pitch in the North End is if the attendance will be really good (> 5,000??).  But even then, there are no concessions ever open on that side.  

The league's website has all attendances for week 3 on their match reports. Attendances are as follows:

• York vs Cavalry - 1004
  • Forge vs Edmonton - 3133
  • Pacific vs Halifax - 3042
  • Ottawa vs Valour - 3345

For the 5 clubs who've had home games, attendance change compared to last year is as follows:

• Edmonton -34%
  • Forge +1%
  • Ottawa -2%
  • Pacific +21%
  • York + 26%

3 hours ago, ted said:

Not sure comparing to 2021 is of any real value.

If it gives them the spin they want in a press release they'll go with it and there's nothing inherently wrong with a business accentuating the positive in their marketing. What might be worth exploring in a thread like this is why we have had one attendance number in Ottawa revised downwards from what the club was saying on gameday when the league subsequently released all the numbers for the week followed by two that appear to have been revised upwards.

Agreed. I'm usually pretty good for guessing the matchday attendance here in Ottawa, and the 2601 figure surprised me when I would have pegged it around 3500.

I wonder if the discrepancy for the last two matches is tickets sold vs. tickets scanned in? The weather was *perfect* on Sunday, but this early in the season I can still understand attendance being a bit lower. 

Edited by m-g-williams

image.png.5610584fdfd5e29d9eaf3202159c9bd6.png

I'm sure there are brighter minds than mine that can explain this, so here goes: every time I look at the ticket availability for FC Edmonton, it seems like they should be doing alright when it comes to attendance. But then come matchday, it's . . . well, I think we all know what it is. What gives? 

Maybe tonight will be a pleasant surprise and attendance will actually be in the ~3500 range as the availability above would seem to suggest. But based on the most recent matches (and the fact that this is a mid-week game), I just don't see that happening. 

Edited by m-g-williams

1 hour ago, Cicero said:

I've been told this is pretty standard practice for many events. Gives buyers an artificial feeling of scarcity, and probably also spreads people throughout the stands more evenly.

When I renewed my Valour SSH this year, I was surprised at the lack of availability in some sections. My first thought was they increased their membership but quickly realized it was probably what you described above.

5 hours ago, johnyb said:

When I renewed my Valour SSH this year, I was surprised at the lack of availability in some sections. My first thought was they increased their membership but quickly realized it was probably what you described 

Same for Forge games. I looked at Ticketmaster maps for the Cruz Azul game and it looked like they sold a ton. It was a good turnout because of the extra Mexican fans but not as sold as the map indicated. 

9 hours ago, johnyb said:

When I renewed my Valour SSH this year, I was surprised at the lack of availability in some sections. My first thought was they increased their membership but quickly realized it was probably what you described above.

Very curious how Sunday is going to play out.  Weather is always a factor.  Not sure how much the early starts will impact things this year.  Looks like 104 will be back to 2019 form, 2/3rds sold, maybe a bit less.  Know 144 is as good as sold out!  Wondering if maybe we're seeing a migration of fans into that NE corner for the season?  Time will tell.

On 4/24/2022 at 12:57 PM, ATM said:

I am guessing we are talking about York United.....that is exactly what is happening there....but how much longer will a rich man keep a team afloat  and yet lose money. They are rich for a reason.

IF, an owner cannot be found how long will the LEAGUE allow FC Edmonton to suck the money from the league's account. 

Based on our population we should strive for stadiums 7k-10k. We cannot expect to have crowds as large as the U.S.

And with the cost of living increasing in this country people will be careful where they spend their entertainment money. And with so many options. Look at TFC, they are doing well in the standings yet they are not selling out like they did when Giovinco was here.  As you have mentioned, if there is no big name signings you will not get the crowds. When Insigne does arrive a team like York United and MAYBE Forge will see a slight drop....kids and their soccer parents will want to spend there money to see Insigne.

Two Cents from someone living in the region - the only way York is going to survive is to pick a market and stick to it. They've got one foot in York Region and another foot in Toronto and that won't sustain itself for very long.

A huge part of the football crowd in Toronto are already dedicated TFC fans, and as much as I believe Toronto can eventually sustain 2-3 teams, the fact is we just aren't there yet. Marketing York United to the suburbs should have been a genius move, but it's actually kind of backfired. People I know in Newmarket and Aurora aren't going to drive down to the Toronto-Vaughan border to watch a game due how much of a pain in the ass the 400 is. That cuts your market size by about 35-40%, so you're relying on Vaughan, Markham and Richmond Hill to carry the supporter base, alongside whichever Torontonians are interested.

The problem is that Torontonians (like myself) are fundamentally arrogant creatures. We don't want to cheer for a team that doesn't explicitly represent us. And there's a real weird relationship with the suburbs that doesn't exist (as far as I'm aware) in the rest of Canada. People from Mississauga, Brampton, Vaughan etc don't actually spend that much time in Toronto short of working there, but act like they're part of the city. Torontonians look down on suburbs in a way that I'm not sure is as prevalent out west. Case in point - give me the choice between a team in Hamilton or a team in Vaughan and I'll be speeding down the QEW in a heartbeat.

Now York have rebranded and are trying to pretend that they're a Toronto based team, which just isn't going to fly. They would have been better off marketing themselves as that from the get-go (similar to whatever is going to be announced in Vancouver) and just stuck with the losses until a community developed. Doesn't matter how many advertisements they put up on the Subway, the minute they decided to represent York Region and not the city of Toronto, they lost a huge part of Toronto, which might seriously harm their future prospects.

Edited by BurndenAce

19 hours ago, BurndenAce said:

And there's a real weird relationship with the suburbs that doesn't exist (as far as I'm aware) in the rest of Canada.

I think that sentiment is pretty ubiquitous in many cities. Just look at the discussions about Langford and Langley as examples