CPL 2022 Season Attendance

20 minutes ago, jonovision said:

Final home match of the season, playoffs on the line, big marketing push within the Portuguese community for "Portuguese Day". Also much easier to sell tickets for a fall weekend than in the summer for reasons obvious to anyone who has lived in Winnipeg or Manitoba.

I'm not questioning the crowd size for this game.

On a related note, however, do CPL teams generally offer flex pack tickets?  I've know of sports teams that do and then they just count any unused flex tickets as being used on the last home game of the season.

3 minutes ago, Kingston said:

I'm not questioning the crowd size for this game.

On a related note, however, do CPL teams generally offer flex pack tickets?  I've know of sports teams that do and then they just count any unused flex tickets as being used on the last home game of the season.

Valour sold 3-match mini plans but I believe you had to select the matches at time of purchase.

It is interesting looking at CPL vs. USL attendance. Overall, 2022 USL Championship attendance is up some 26 percent over 2021 numbers, a season impacted by COVID-19 and early-season capacity limitations. They are averaging 4,905 this season with 13 teams over 5k a game. The average is taken down by the MLS 2 teams that draw flies. In 2023 there will not be a single 2 team in USL as all we have moved over to MLS Next Pro. 

1 hour ago, ted said:

Victoria is hurt by the fact that our team is playing like crap since Diaz was sold. ;)

It was night and day without Diaz, on and off the pitch I would say. Had he be there, Pacific would have advanced in Concacaf League. 

There's more guys with profiles like Diaz develop by Liga MX strong clubs but couldn't quite break into the league. 

With Mexico stopping pro/rel, CPL could attract some of those guys stuck in Liga de Expansion MX after witnessing who this league help Diaz go to Europe

Attendances from the last week are up:

• Pacific @ HFX Wanderers - 4332
  • Edmonton @ Pacific - 4107
  • Ottawa @ HFX Wanderers - 5944
  • York @ Forge - 5129
  • Valour @ Cavalry - 2662

HFX Wanderers finish with an attendance of 5825. Up 12% from 2021 and down 4% compared to 2019. Pacific finishes with an attendance of 3178. Up 21% from 2021 and up 2% compared to 2019.

18 hours ago, shermanator said:

HFX Wanderers finish with an attendance of 5825. Up 12% from 2021 and down 4% compared to 2019. Pacific finishes with an attendance of 3178. Up 21% from 2021 and up 2% compared to 2019.

Overall, attendance is up about 16% from last season. I think the best way to look at attendance in CPL is to ignore the year 1 bump (with lots of freebies in many cities) and instead to target continued attendance growth of at least 10% per season. Obvious exception being Halifax where they don't have the room to grow their crowds much more, and York and Edmonton, where larger increases are probably necessary for continued survival.

Edited by jonovision

16 minutes ago, jonovision said:

Overall, attendance is up about 16% from last season. I think the best way to look at attendance in CPL is to ignore the year 1 bump (with lots of freebies in many cities) and instead to target continued attendance growth of at least 10% per season. Obvious exception being Halifax where they don't have the room to grow their much more, and York and Edmonton, where larger increases are probably necessary for continued survival.

I always thought York was sort of a canary in the coal mine for comparison with a new Lower Mainland CPL franchise even with different variables in play.

32 minutes ago, jonovision said:

Overall, attendance is up about 16% from last season. I think the best way to look at attendance in CPL is to ignore the year 1 bump (with lots of freebies in many cities) and instead to target continued attendance growth of at least 10% per season. Obvious exception being Halifax where they don't have the room to grow their much more, and York and Edmonton, where larger increases are probably necessary for continued survival.

Agreed. Every single club has had double digit percentage growth in attendance over 2021, ranging from York at +10% to Cavalry at +38%. This includes the league owned club that some people believed would have been run into the ground. The growth is somewhat exaggerated due to the pandemic, but people are coming back and that's important.

With the first real offseason not marred by a global pandemic upcoming, it will be interesting to see if clubs can continue growing their fan bases, and by how much. I would argue Edmonton may end up being the most successful next year given the low starting point and work put in to re-engage with existing supporters and youth clubs.

17 hours ago, Ftduck said:

Very interesting to see attendance in Hamilton tomorrow night compared to the last two weekend games. 

Just being a midweek match and the 2nd of 3 home matches in 8 days I expect a bit of a drop, it is gloriously sunny and warm in The Hammer today so that may influence a bit of a walk up crowd!

3 hours ago, BearcatSA said:

I always thought York was sort of a canary in the coal mine for comparison with a new Lower Mainland CPL franchise even with different variables in play.

I hope it isn't and don't think it is. 

I honestly believe that you could have put a team at Swangard in CPL, to give a more comparable scenario, and it would have worked much better than York.

Of course, if they build a stadium with a bit of character, that will help. They can also fail in that department, but if you look at the basketball team at the same location, it is getting the kind of crowds that are pushing the lower end of what you'd want for the CPL. 

42 minutes ago, youllneverwalkalone said:

Some context amongst 1st tier leagues from TM:

Charlotte (of all clubs) tops in NA ahead of Besiktas at 52.

TFC at 86 ahead of Racing Strasbourg.

HFX at 451 (totals off by about 1,000) just ahead of Slovan Bratislava.

Atletico at 513 ahead of UNAM Pumas.

Looks like you missed Atlanta at 28th (ahead of Stuttgart).

https://www.transfermarkt.com/verein-statistik/zuschauerrangliste/statistik/stat/plus/0?verein=weltweit&wettbewerb=liga

The Pumas number also surprised me. I assume the numbers for Mexican teams are COVID restriction affected. Highest Mexican team is America at 16k fans per game. There are 12 Mexican teams with attendance lower than 5k per game.

Thanks for the rabbit hole :D