Match Thread: April 9, 2022 - Atletico Ottawa v Cavalry

I want to vent on reffing across multiple sports that sets the bar for a retaliation foul much lower than for the initial offence.  They'll see someone commit an offence, let it go, and then watch the victim like a hawk and penalize them the second it looks like they might be retaliating.  Just call the first penalty and you'll see a lot less retaliation.

18 hours ago, rkomar said:

I want to vent on reffing across multiple sports that sets the bar for a retaliation foul much lower than for the initial offence.  They'll see someone commit an offence, let it go, and then watch the victim like a hawk and penalize them the second it looks like they might be retaliating.  Just call the first penalty and you'll see a lot less retaliation.

That unfortunately is where Canadians miss the bus train and plane--it is also what had us playing with 10-men vs. Costa Rica. 

Precisely getting past retaliation, which we have ingrained from playing and watching hockey, will be a factor in our success at the WC. I know what you are saying, refs don't do their job, and their failure leads to a player redressing things.

In hockey, it even makes sense, because a dirty stick poke cannot really be dealt with in a short shift, so you go back to the bench and steam about it. And if you get back on the ice, within a shift or 3 you are pretty sure to see that same guy head down digging at a puck in a corner. You can retaliate legally in hockey, even cleanly, in basketball you can shoot past someone or drive on them or even dunk over top within a few minutes. Not so in football.

In football you may not even get near the guy again, and then, where it is easiest to get near someone and take out a bit of vengeance, in a box, is precisely the place you don't want to do anything dumb.

In anycase, a player has to have discipline, it sort of pisses me off that Janine bailed on her European career for something less ambitious (though perhaps equally well-paid), and now she's harping about her lower league brother's failures.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist