Luc de Fougerolles

canuckgbp

Wouldn't it be strange to mould a natural fullback to a CB so young? I feel like CBs always take more time to develop and you're ideally looking for players who have already found their for lack of a better word, "man strength". Totally get positional need and maybe Fullham really is that pressed for good CBs, just surprised based on how young he is that they'd already try and put him at a different, tougher position. I'm pretty sure during the broadcast, one of the announcers mentioned that he's a natural RB that was converted to a CB.

But with that positional flexibility, considering how much we value Bombito who is 6 months older, Canada Soccer must love this kid.

9 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

But with that positional flexibility, considering how much we value Bombito who is 6 months older, Canada Soccer must love this kid.

6 years older. It is crazy how young LDF is. If his size ends up being too small for CB, I could definitely see him as midfielder or fullback.

Edited by blueseeka

32 minutes ago, blueseeka said:

6 years older. It is crazy how young LDF is. If his size ends up being too small for CB, I could definitely see him as midfielder or fullback.

I hope we resist this.  We are in desperate need of skilled CBs.  We managed to snag Bombito, a young athletic CB who is full of promise, and pretty much the first thing we do is start making noises about moving him to midfield.  Now the same sort of thing with LDS, a potential Premier League quality defender, and we are already contemplating repositioning him.  Please god no.  

I am sure McGraw is a nice guy, and Vitoria served us well during WCQ, but I have had enough of big slow CBs who get burned for speed every time -even against middling attackers.  Sure we need people capable of defending aerial attacks, but we also need guys who can move quickly with dynamic plays and who, above all else, have excellent skills.    

41 minutes ago, blueseeka said:

Yup- typo, that’s what I meant. Bombito was fast tracked to the national team because he plays a position of need but can also be played in different positions, so I’d hope the much (much) younger LDF is prioritized even more. 

1 hour ago, dyslexic nam said:

I hope we resist this.  We are in desperate need of skilled CBs.  We managed to snag Bombito, a young athletic CB who is full of promise, and pretty much the first thing we do is start making noises about moving him to midfield.  Now the same sort of thing with LDS, a potential Premier League quality defender, and we are already contemplating repositioning him.  Please god no.  

I am sure McGraw is a nice guy, and Vitoria served us well during WCQ, but I have had enough of big slow CBs who get burned for speed every time -even against middling attackers.  Sure we need people capable of defending aerial attacks, but we also need guys who can move quickly with dynamic plays and who, above all else, have excellent skills.    

If fulham thinks hes big enough before he even fills out to play CB, then im sure hes big enough at 26 to play CB for us. 

Having said that, Cornelius, JKL, stefanovic, bombito, nimick? miller and future unknowns could end up giving us a solid backline and having LDF move to DM could make the squad better overall. Like alaba or zinchenko have done for their national teams. I obv still want him as a CB though but wouldnt want a top talented CB on the bench so we can play an mls midfielder. Lots of IFs tho

3 hours ago, Bigandy said:

If fulham thinks hes big enough before he even fills out to play CB, then im sure hes big enough at 26 to play CB for us. 

Having said that, Cornelius, JKL, stefanovic, bombito, nimick? miller and future unknowns could end up giving us a solid backline and having LDF move to DM could make the squad better overall. Like alaba or zinchenko have done for their national teams. I obv still want him as a CB though but wouldnt want a top talented CB on the bench so we can play an mls midfielder. Lots of IFs tho

I guess I want more than solid.  If LDF is the calibre of player we are all hoping he turns out to be (after committing to Canada) I want him being an absolute stud in our defensive core for the next 3-4 cycles.  

As I have said before, I think my perspective on this issue has been skewed by my youth coaching experience where anyone with an inking of skill immediately wants to play as far forward as possible, and you are almost always left with a bunch of unskilled players that you try and cobble a functional defence out of.  In my world there is no such thing as a player too skilled to play defence.  Unless your magical ability is smashing in goals from distance, elite skills translate into elite defensive performances.  

49 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

I guess I want more than solid.  If LDF is the calibre of player we are all hoping he turns out to be (after committing to Canada) I want him being an absolute stud in our defensive core for the next 3-4 cycles.  

As I have said before, I think my perspective on this issue has been skewed by my youth coaching experience where anyone with an inking of skill immediately wants to play as far forward as possible, and you are almost always left with a bunch of unskilled players that you try and cobble a functional defence out of.  In my world there is no such thing as a player too skilled to play defence.  Unless your magical ability is smashing in goals from distance, elite skills translate into elite defensive performances.  

Assuming he even plays for Canada my opinion is that he needs to play where he beat serves the team. If that is in midfield so be it. If that is in defense so be it. As always, I have a bias for playing guys in their natural positions and in the positions the play the most with their club, but on occasion it makes sense to play someone elsewhere and that can vary game-by-game. For example, I am not a big fan of moving Davies around all the time, but when he played up front with David in NL against the States at BMO that was absolutely the right call. Similarly, maybe LDF has to play midfield because JKL turns into a stud and we need a 3rd midfielder to get LDF on the pitch.

All of that said, the way things are shaping up this kind DOES look to be our best chance to build around in the defense for years to come, so for me he goes in the back and we take it from there.

Feeling positive today, so here is a positive spin on how things went down in Japan:

Biello takes the Herman approach of not pressuring the kid. He brings him into the team to see how he gets on. The kid is good enough to play (otherwise he wouldn't be there), but is also 18 and despite leaning Canada wants to do the smart thing by showing up, participating, and observing, but not committing quite yet, which is fine with Biello and fits with his recruiting approach. Now post-camp he has data to reflect on and time to think about whether he wants to play for Canada now, later, or never.

Looking at his body language on the Canada mention, there seemed to be no awkwardness or signs he feels pressure or discomfort about the topic. His response was focused on being a scholar still (it was a two-part comment) and so he knows where he is and wants to push on. Yes he is English and has his whole career ahead of him, but he seems way closer than Jebbison who we all expect to eventually play for Canada. All things considered, I think we have a good chance of seeing him "push on" by making his debut in November, probably at home in Toronto. If not, I think odds are very good we see him debut for us within 12 months.

I don't get a vibe that he'll hold out in hopes of an English youth call, but again, I am feeling rather positive. 

On 11/2/2023 at 7:55 AM, InglewoodJack said:

Thank you Fulham Football Club for using the correct flag emoji here:

https://x.com/fulhamfc/status/1720023623438651821?s=46&t=spIaqlQfufAO3HreB1455Q

Look, I still don’t have a premier league team, so commit to us and I’ll be a Fulham fan for life

Man of the match?...Looks more like Boy of the match, lol.

Just now, Stoppage Time said:

Remember when  a rookie David Edgar scored for Newcastle against Man U.? Let's hope that LDF can surpass Edgar's ceiling.

Random Q but why did it take so long for Edgar to get a senior cap? He wasn't capped until 2011.

35 minutes ago, VinceA said:

Random Q but why did it take so long for Edgar to get a senior cap? He wasn't capped until 2011.

He was often injured in those early days,  but I’ll use this opportunity to take a rip at Dale Mitchell after looking back at some of his squads.

2 hours ago, VinceA said:

He was holding out and exploring his options, I believe. His dad was a Newcastle player, IIRC, and presumably he could have qualified to play for England. I watched him score live on TV vs Man United, and that must have garnered a little attention behind the scenes for a guy who was that young.