League1 Ontario Men's Premier Division 2022 Season

Familiar names from League 1 Ontario:

Guelph United: Alexander Zis (CPL draft), Jace Kotsopoulos (CPL), Marcel Zajac (CPL) Thomas Skublak (CPL)

Electric City: Jordan Brown (CPL), Caden Rogozinski (CPL draft), Zachary Ellis-Hayden (USLC), Zak Drake (USLC) Jordan Webb (Singapore/CPL) Quillan Roberts (CPL, TFC 2) Luke Green (CPL) Eleias Himaras (CPL/TFC2)

Waterloo: David Chung (CPL draft FC Edmonton) ?

Scrosoppi FC: Cyrus Rollocks (CPL), Tajay Reid (recently played US Open Cup with Des Moines Menace)

North Mississauga SC: Chris Campoli (CPL draft)

Unionville Milliken: John Smits (USLC)

Sigma FC: Daniel Stampatori (CPL), Robbie Cleary (CPL), Mateo Marques (CPL), Soji Olatoye (CPL draft), Mohamed Alshakman (CPL draft), Dino Bontis (TFC Academy), Oluwageun Oyegunle (CPL), Kadell Thomas (CPL)

Darby FC: Stefan Lamanna (CPL)

Woodbrdige:  Giulano Frano (CPL)

Blue Devils: Kyle Porter (CPL)

Simcoe County: Jah’Moises Corona (Kaiserlautern U19, TFC Academy), Shawn Lawson, (CPL) Jarred Philips (CPL), Jadon Vilfort (USLC), Alain Sargeant (PDL/TFC/St. Kitts International)

Vaughn: Dylan Carreiro (CPL) 2 goals, Gianluca Catalano (CPL, TFC academy) on the bench for York on Friday, starting keeper on Sunday.

The Credit River Cup (winner gets a trophy and can call themselves 'Best team in Mississauga') has expanded to include four teams.  

Sigma FC (always in it)

North Mississauga SC (always in it) 

Pro Stars FC (excluded last year for being from Brampton) 

First time ever!  A guest team--Simcoe County Rovers just added in last few days. 

Last year with the shortened schedule it was only a home and away between Sigma and North Miss.  This year without changes it would have been only 1 game as each team only plays each other once.  

Simcoe County will be great for publicity but I looked at the L1O schedule and their games against these three teams (I know it will be semi-final then final so two games played) are June 4th v Pro Stars FC, June 18th v Sigma FC, and July 8th vs North Mississauga SC.  OK lucky for Simcoe they are all HOME games!  

Isn't that like inviting Brazil to guest at the CONCACAF Gold Cup and having Brazil play nothing but home games?  Just wondering how all the Credit River Cup fans (judging by their ages) are going to enjoy riding their bicycles all the way to Barrie to watch these games in person!  104 km away.  Start peddling! 

On 4/25/2022 at 12:49 PM, SoccMan said:

True good point , but Windsor is full of decent soccer players you would think they can muster up to 20 or so decent soccer players to try to be competitive, but I understand that it’s mainly the younger kids they are more interested in.

I'm not from Windsor and have never watched them play, but I have heard about them having player attendance problems for some away games due to the big time commitment (maybe 3 to 5 hours for most away games, each direction, so 6 to 10 hours total drive time for a single game). So my wild speculation makes me wonder if players aren't keen on playing for Windsor if they have to frequently make long drives out to the GTA, or in the past Ottawa as well (google tells me that is more like 8 hours each direction for Ottawa). I have no idea if they are taking buses or driving/carpooling themselves to games, but driving for 4 hours before a game can't be the best for your performance either.

But like I said, this is all just wild guesses.

10 hours ago, Kent said:

I'm not from Windsor and have never watched them play, but I have heard about them having player attendance problems for some away games due to the big time commitment (maybe 3 to 5 hours for most away games, each direction, so 6 to 10 hours total drive time for a single game). So my wild speculation makes me wonder if players aren't keen on playing for Windsor if they have to frequently make long drives out to the GTA, or in the past Ottawa as well (google tells me that is more like 8 hours each direction for Ottawa). I have no idea if they are taking buses or driving/carpooling themselves to games, but driving for 4 hours before a game can't be the best for your performance either.

But like I said, this is all just wild guesses.

If players don’t want to play because of the long travel then why are they playing . This league should be viewed as a stepping stone and a pathway to hopefully making it to the CPL, MLS and even Europe . League 1 Ontario can be like a sort of OHL in hockey one day . I doubt players in the OHL opt not to play because of the long travel . I know you are just speculating and don’t know what’s going on in Windsor, but I would not be surprised if that’s one of the reasons.  Hopefully with more players like Alistar Johnson, Buchanan and a few others who have played in league 1 making and hopefully more to come players will see this league as a stepping stone and will make sacrifices like the long travel and play for teams like Windsor who have a lot of travel in order to play in this league. 

Edited by SoccMan

Result and details of the League1 Ontario game of Sunday May 1/2022 between Woodbridge Strikers and North Mississauga SC played at Vaughan Grove. Includes post game interviews with coaches Peyvand Mossavet (with comment about Credit River Cup) and Michael Aquino. 

http://www.rocketrobinsoccerintoronto.com/reports22/22l1o011.htm

Edited by Rocket Robin

3 hours ago, Kent said:

For anyone interested that doesn't already know, I hadn't realized how many games are available on youtube. It looks like approximately all the games (I didn't actually check against the schedule, it just looks like a significant amount of games).

https://www.youtube.com/c/League1OntarioTV/videos

Yes , L1O has a camera at every game both women's and men's, the video is uploaded within a day or two. 

All the audio from the post game press conference of the Voyageurs Cup  preliminary round of May 10/22 between League1 Ontario side Guelph United (Keith Mason & Tomasz Skublak) and  Canadian Premier League side HFX Wanderers FC (Stephen Hart & Aidan Daniels) held at Alumni Stadium. http://www.rocketrobinsoccerintoronto.com/reports22/22york050.htm

At the Sigma FC game today an official said two games have been moved from the Paramount Stadium fields in Mississauga to Tim Horton's Field in Hamilton.   1.  Saturday July 23rd against Hamilton United and 2. Saturday August 6th against Unionville-Milliken FC so they will be doubleheaders after the Forge home games on those dates.  Sigma won't be the first L1O game played here this season as Sat May 17th St Catharines Roma Wolves 'hosted' North Toronto Nitros after the Forge vs At Ottawa game.  

57 minutes ago, Rocket Robin said:

At the Sigma FC game today an official said two games have been moved from the Paramount Stadium fields in Mississauga to Tim Horton's Field in Hamilton.   1.  Saturday July 23rd against Hamilton United and 2. Saturday August 6th against Unionville-Milliken FC so they will be doubleheaders after the Forge home games on those dates.  Sigma won't be the first L1O game played here this season as Sat May 17th St Catharines Roma Wolves 'hosted' North Toronto Nitros after the Forge vs At Ottawa game.  

Sigma vs Hamilton is the perfect game to be at THF. The local team (Hamilton) vs the unofficial Forge farm team (Sigma)