MLS Match Updates and Talk 2022

Big_M

16 minutes ago, Gian-Luca said:

Vic Rauter starting for TSN in the broadcast booth with Kevin Kilbane, about 7 rows up from where I am sitting. 

The pitch is almost back to being good.

Love him or hate him Vic has been calling soccer here in Canada since the last all Canadian League was around the old CSL back in the late 1980’s . Yes he doesn’t have an English ascent which seems to be what a guy doing play by play seems to need to have  before they get any respect it seems here in Canada and the US . But I love the fact he has been at this as long as he has , glad to hear him on the call tonight .

31 minutes ago, BearcatSA said:

All I saw was two lower table sides playing each other today.  They both have clear weaknesses and in the end the winning team got exploited less than the loser.

Montreal is in a playoff position and the third highest scoring team in MLS. Many of their early season defensive woes seem the easily-fixable type (at least 3 or 4 GA due to choosing poor moments to play out of the back), and their best (only good) striker hasn't played yet. 

In other words, I don't think Vancouver is good, but I'm not ready to write off Montreal.

2 minutes ago, jonovision said:

Montreal is in a playoff position and the third highest scoring team in MLS. Many of their early season defensive woes seem the easily-fixable type (at least 3 or 4 GA due to choosing poor moments to play out of the back), and their best (only good) striker hasn't played yet. 

In other words, I don't think Vancouver is good, but I'm not ready to write off Montreal.

They haven't fixed their play out of the back, they just got away with it today.  They have been scoring against some pretty crappy defensive sides.  I don't think the goal scoring rate is sustainable and they will likely descend down the table because they will still be conceding.  

The Caps are a hard working side but lack craft and presence in the central midfield.  Unless some new personnel are brought in, they will remain a team that teases you into thinking they might be a playoff lottery participant.  

1 minute ago, BearcatSA said:

They haven't fixed their play out of the back, they just got away with it today.  They have been scoring against some pretty crappy defensive sides.  I don't think the goal scoring rate is sustainable and they will likely descend down the table because they will still be conceding.  

This is possible, but Mihailovic is one of the best attacking players in MLS. Just like when they had Piatti and not much else, that can sometimes work in this league.

9 minutes ago, jonovision said:

I clearly don't understand the offside rule. You can be involved in the play in basically any way (without touching the ball) except unsighting the keeper?

Yes if your talking about the second Philadelphia goal that was called back yes . The Philadelphia player  was in an offside position basically screening the goalie , therefore, he is offside .

Just now, SoccMan said:

Yes if your talking about the second Philadelphia goal that was called back yes . The Philadelphia player  was in an offside position basically screening the goalie , therefore, he is offside .

I understand that. What I don't understand is countless other examples where the offside player doesn't play the ball, but draws a defender, or otherwise influences the play, but the goal is allowed to stand. Cavalry's first goal against Forge today is a good example.

1 minute ago, Gian-Luca said:

Looks like Kerr is warming up to come on in the 2nd half, I suspect for Nelson in case he gets another yellow in a chippy affair

Bradley and Pozuelo look like liabilities today. Both a bit off the pace and on yellows. I hope they both get subbed out ahead of Nelson.

Talking of subs, 7 out of the 9 on tfc's bench are 🇨🇦! Exceptional.

1 hour ago, jonovision said:

I clearly don't understand the offside rule. You can be involved in the play in basically any way (without touching the ball) except unsighting the keeper?

This has always irked me.  If a keeper doesn’t know that someone is offside, they have to take them into account. Maybe they cheat a bit to one side in case the guys gets a pass.  Basically in all but the most blatant scenarios, the offside player is probably influencing the keeper’s actions (even if it is just in terms of his positioning and the fact that he has to account for him) and therefore is impacting the play.   

2 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

This has always irked me.  If a keeper doesn’t know that someone is offside, they have to take them into account. Maybe they cheat a bit to one side in case the guys gets a pass.  Basically in all but the most blatant scenarios, the offside player is probably influencing the keeper’s actions (even if it is just in terms of his positioning and the fact that he has to account for him) and therefore is impacting the play.   

Not just the keeper, but the entire defending team.