MLS Match Updates and Talk 2022

Big_M

Just now, Gian-Luca said:

There was no contact at all, the NYFFC player tripped himself, it was so obvious on the replay. 

There was obvious two strides before the NYCFC player went down. In any case they'll have their lead soon enough, TFC look clueless so far.

41 minutes ago, MM3/MM2/MM said:

Caldwell is an idiot, there was absolutely no contact.  Wasn't in favor of VAR, now yes.

He compounds it at half time by saying the VAR ref “allowed the ref to see the wrong angle”. WTF?!? The angle which clearly shows no contact and the NYCFC donkey tripped himself is the “wrong angle”? Why is that?

1 hour ago, Gian-Luca said:

He compounds it at half time by saying the VAR ref “allowed the ref to see the wrong angle”. WTF?!? The angle which clearly shows no contact and the NYCFC donkey tripped himself is the “wrong angle”? Why is that?

And the idiot continues his insistence after the game.

I have no problem with Caldwell's take on the penalty shout, but I don't understand how any Canadian would want to listen to Wileman (personality of a box of nails) and Caldwell (brogue so thick I can barely understand him after watching for years) at Qatar instead of an announcing duo whose main fault is that they are too enthusiastic.

Edited by jonovision

11 minutes ago, jonovision said:

I have no idea if Kansas City is a good team, but that was a very composed performance by the Whitecaps. Teibert in particular was very good.

SKC lost energy as the match progressed.  Their subs didn't give them a boost, either, and seemedcto be stumbling over the ball a lot, killing the floe of the build up themselves.  I did like the combo play and chemistry between White and Gauld, and Veselinovic and Blackmon are solid while Hasal was steady.

5 hours ago, MM3/MM2/MM said:

And the idiot continues his insistence after the game.

I had tuned out that that point as I had to take my girlfriend to a concert (which is the reason why I wasn't at the game like I usually am), in fact I missed both the NYC goal and whatever Caldwell said post-match, not that I am complaining about having missed both mind you. I found his comments on the female Canadian VAR ref assistant at halftime to be appalling, pretty much accusing her of being unprofessional (not what he said, but is pretty much what is implied by suggesting that she showed the ref the "wrong angle". She was only supposed to show him the angle which supported his opinion then, rather than the one which clearly showed it wasn't a PK? Ridiculous.

23 minutes ago, Gian-Luca said:

I had tuned out that that point as I had to take my girlfriend to a concert (which is the reason why I wasn't at the game like I usually am), in fact I missed both the NYC goal and whatever Caldwell said post-match, not that I am complaining about having missed both mind you. I found his comments on the female Canadian VAR ref assistant at halftime to be appalling, pretty much accusing her of being unprofessional (not what he said, but is pretty much what is implied by suggesting that she showed the ref the "wrong angle". She was only supposed to show him the angle which supported his opinion then, rather than the one which clearly showed it wasn't a PK? Ridiculous.

There is debate here on this particular call:  fair enough.  However, this play highlights why I don't like having colour commentators in the both with the pbp person.  They feel the need to make a snap decision and often double down later in the broadcast.  Jason De Vos used to be bad for that, as was Forrest.

I like listening to the half time show discuss a controversial call and there is usually debate.  During the Euros, Caldwell and Kilbane disagreed but at least they had some time to look a play over.  But when you make a snap decision, it seems very hard to walk it back.

8 hours ago, Stryker911 said:

Wow. 6 Canadians saw the field for Montreal, 8 for Toronto, and 7 for Vancouver. And all 3 teams won. What a night for Canadian MLS fans.

...and for Canadian soccer fans in general for that matter because this should translate through into greater quality in depth for the CMNT in the years ahead. Changed days from when Gabe Gala, Joey Melo and Andrea Lombardo were the emerging talents and hopefully a sign that the huge investment made in academy systems is finally paying dividends.

I see that Crepeau won the high-scoring battle between two World Cup bound keepers (assuming Peru does the business against either UAE or Australia, but I think they will). As with St. Clair, I don't think Max had much chance on either goal he let in, which is more than I can say for Gallese with a couple of the four he let in.