CONCACAF Octogon Champion

kungfucious

Just tossing this out there for everybody to tell me what a stupid idea it is:

Since the Voyageurs Cup is now known as the Canadian Championship and is effectively not ours anymore, what do you guys think about creating a Voyageurs Cup 2.022, awarded to the Octogon Champion?  I haven't thought about how to keep it away from the federations bastardising it nor how to keep it within our national team supporters cousins, but I just thought it would be cool to have a trophy to celebrate this. 

UEFA is always a qualifying mess, CAF uses top of groups, and AFC uses top of two groups.   This leaves CONMEBOL as the only other federation which uses a single table to qualify teams, and as far as I know, they don't have any kind of celebratory trophy or anything to crown a continental champion.  The proper continental championships are the Coppa and Gold Cup so I'm proposing...

Since WE WILL win this time, it's only fitting the V's come up with something to commemorate this historic (hopefully NOT once-in-a-liftetime) event.  What do you guy's think?

Edited by kungfucious
typos

7 hours ago, kungfucious said:

Just tossing this out there for everybody to tell me what a stupid idea it is:

Since the Voyageurs Cup is now known as the Canadian Championship and is effectively not ours anymore, what do you guys think about creating a Voyageurs Cup 2.022, awarded to the Octogon Champion?  I haven't thought about how to keep it away from the federations bastardising it nor how to keep it within our national team supporters cousins, but I just thought it would be cool to have a trophy to celebrate this. 

UEFA is always a qualifying mess, CAF uses top of groups, and AFC uses top of two groups.   This leaves CONMEBOL as the only other federation which uses a single table to qualify teams, and as far as I know, they don't have any kind of celebratory trophy or anything to crown a continental champion.  The proper continental championships are the Coppa and Gold Cup so I'm proposing...

Since WE WILL win this time, it's only fitting the V's come up with something to commemorate this historic (hopefully NOT once-in-a-liftetime) event.  What do you guy's think?

Just to note, even if we dominate for the rest of time, this could still be a once in a lifetime event. Even if Canada, USA, and Mexico don't get automatic qualification in 2026, there will be 6 CONCACAF teams advancing to the World Cup starting in 2026. I really doubt they will have an Oct in 2026 (unless the 3 hosts are automatically qualified and not included in the Oct) or going forward after that, just to whittle the teams down to 6. There will be a serious revamp to the final round of qualifying I'm sure.

So this idea unfortunately just seems like us patting ourselves on the back for a one off accomplishment with no chance for another country to ever do it (aside from a big last minute comeback this year). It doesn't raise the value of the competition going forward (like the Voyageurs Cup did, and the Supporters Shield did).

Any thoughts on what the qualifying format will be in 2030 and beyond, assuming confederations remain intact and 6 is the number of spots? My vote would be for some sort of elimination tournament leading to a double hex. Either top 3 from each advance, or top 2 and some sort of playoff for the remaining 2 spots. 

Edited by jonovision

1 hour ago, jonovision said:

Any thoughts on what the qualifying format will be in 2030 and beyond, assuming confederations remain intact and 6 is the number of spots? My vote would be for some sort of elimination tournament leading to a double hex. Either top 3 from each advance, or top 2 and some sort of playoff for the remaining 2 spots. 

Could really do anything. I agree that your format would be very entertaining for us. They could also do a UEFA style and just have 6 groups of 7. It would give the minnows more games, but would really suck for us, since we wouldn’t get many big, important matches. 

Maybe a hybrid, with 7 groups of 6, group winners and next best 5 teams go into Double Hex? This would give minnows 10 games still, and the teams that make the 2nd round would get 20 games.

Edited by archer21

On 2/8/2022 at 12:09 PM, archer21 said:

Maybe a hybrid, with 7 groups of 6, group winners and next best 5 teams go into Double Hex? This would give minnows 10 games still, and the teams that make the 2nd round would get 20 games.

It depends on if we are gonna do WC every 2 years or 4 years...and also depends on the new calendar for number of match windows as it was suppose to be revamped.  Pre-COVID, we would get max 10 games (outside Gold Cup) per year.  Unless FIFA is going to make it standard 3 matches per window ?  All this info was suppose to be finalized before next year.

I do see 6 groups of 7 more of a realistic possibility.  While it sucks that we would not get important matches, that is what Nations League and Gold Cup are for.

7 hours ago, Jedi Ram said:

It depends on if we are gonna do WC every 2 years or 4 years...and also depends on the new calendar for number of match windows as it was suppose to be revamped.  Pre-COVID, we would get max 10 games (outside Gold Cup) per year.  Unless FIFA is going to make it standard 3 matches per window ?  All this info was suppose to be finalized before next year.

I do see 6 groups of 7 more of a realistic possibility.  While it sucks that we would not get important matches, that is what Nations League and Gold Cup are for.

I was assuming every 4 years. If it’s every 2 years, WCQ will be rushed no matter what, which sucks. I think if it’s every 4 years, the 2 separate group stages is reasonable. In 2018, for a team that entered in the first round, they’d have to play 22 games to qualify so the 20 games in that proposal isn’t too much.