Kyle Hiebert

Big_M

30 minutes ago, SoCalTransport said:

We are very thin at that position, give him a look...Vitoria can't have much time left with the NT at his age.

Usually, I would like this comment and move on, but I just stopped to think for a second:

This guy has 21 appearances and 5 goals this year in Liga Nos, as a CB. I haven't watched closely enough to know whether those are mostly PKs or headers, but they all count the same.  

Not saying I expect him to last the complete cycle, but maybe we see Vitoria longer than we expect. Herdman said they'll be some transition, but it won't happen all at once. It will be gradual. Vitoria has 38 caps at the moment, can he break 50? I would not be surprised. 

10 hours ago, Bison44 said:

Ummm, wasnt just last year Kone made his debut for Canada as a 19 year old, after about 5 MLS games??  I guess that was a different era.  And before you say it, yeah I dont think heibert is on Kone trajectory, but CB is the thinnest spot we have, so calling up someone green as grass isnt all that crazy.  

and we were all very surprised by Kone's inclusion at the time, but Herdman was very astute in assessing Kone's "special ability/skill set" for a 19 yr old even with a small sample of pro games. JH  was spot on with that call up. Kone was also a dual. I'm sure if Kyle continues to nail down a starting spot for his club the call will come as soon as the GC.

10 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Usually, I would like this comment and move on, but I just stopped to think for a second:

This guy has 21 appearances and 5 goals this year in Liga Nos, as a CB. I haven't watched closely enough to know whether those are mostly PKs or headers, but they all count the same.  

Not saying I expect him to last the complete cycle, but maybe we see Vitoria longer than we expect. Herdman said they'll be some transition, but it won't happen all at once. It will be gradual. Vitoria has 38 caps at the moment, can he break 50? I would not be surprised. 

This. We better pray that Vitoria takes all his vitamins and eats his Wheaties, because we don't have anyone currently with his height or aerial defense in the box with both AJ and Miller suspect in that regard. Besides we need him as  back up for David on PKs

3 hours ago, Obinna said:

This is an important part that I think some on the forum overthink. Of course the long term goal is fielding our best team for 2026. However we have short term goals like competing for trophies in nations league/Gold Cup this year and then a good performance at Copa America.

So we aren’t going to just replace everyone that we think will be too old for 2026, we need to balance it with working on our chemistry and tactics with guys that will be playing big parts at these upcoming tournaments, like Vitoria and Borjan.

12 minutes ago, Fresh Prince of MTL said:

This is an important part that I think some on the forum overthink. Of course the long term goal is fielding our best team for 2026. However we have short term goals like competing for trophies in nations league/Gold Cup this year and then a good performance at Copa America.

So we aren’t going to just replace everyone that we think will be too old for 2026, we need to balance it with working on our chemistry and tactics with guys that will be playing big parts at these upcoming tournaments, like Vitoria and Borjan.

Yup - Vitoria's had a great season with Chaves. Don't know where people get the idea we can just phase him out.

I also think we’re overrating how important “integrating them into the team” is. Vitoria is having a career year, he’s our guy for the foreseeable future. If you’re concerned over his form for Gold Cup for any reason, bring him in, as a professional in a limited role, he should be able to fit in to the team right away. 

it makes sense for Koleosho, not because he’s a dual, but because at 17, you want to expose the kid to some players who have done what he wants to do with his career, show him what it’s like to be part of a team, etc. Hiebert is older, he should be able to translate his STL performances for Canada, whenever that moment happens. I mean, Waterman’s first call up was for the World Cup. He didn’t play at all, but there was a possibility that he would’ve been forced to play our hardest games ever if something happened to Miller or Vitoria. Think KH will survive gold cup if he has to.