CONCACAF Nations League 2022/2023 - General Thread - Group Stage

I hope they share the games around starlight, Halifax, valour or ottawa would be awesome. Obviously biased but I would love them to play those smaller games in potential CPL markets to help with the push. Selling out Mosaic in Regina would do wonders here.

I think rewarding the CPL fans and clubs would be neat though.

21 minutes ago, Shway said:

This is the way to go….but I don’t think this means we will see games at HFX grounds or even a return to Starlight. 

The Canada Red+White+Black+Gold indicates to me that the CSA is shifting their thinking as it pertains to revenue.

Yeah they are not going sell these memberships and then go and ignore this engaged base you have by playing at Starlight, Halifax etc. Things have really changed from when they were going to play the pair of matches vs. T&T at Starlight. I think it is most realistic for moving around will be post World Cup. The CSA can make a lot of money over the next year so at this point I do not see them leaving a lot of it on the table. 

6 hours ago, Shway said:

This is the way to go….but I don’t think this means we will see games at HFX grounds or even a return to Starlight. 

The Canada Red+White+Black+Gold indicates to me that the CSA is shifting their thinking as it pertains to revenue.

As soon as they get a bunch of corporate yahoos in their faces crowing about luxury boxes or seats (which they won't fill and those there will get drunk in), plus all the provincial SA guys and then the League One club presidents and equipment managers, they'll pull back and the Red+White+other tones will be repealed. 

It has no future going forward and they haven't really even thought it through, it is good for 2022, if that.

As for HFX or Starlight, they won't get on that flight tonight--you guys get to see a u-20 training match, you are very very welcome.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

I do think Starlight will get something. Those games sold out and I'm assuming the CSA gave the venue some sort of assurances of a make-up date. They could do a window where their home games are one at BC place and one at Starlight. Perhaps a smaller opponent goes to Starlight (for example if we draw Grenada in our group).

26 minutes ago, VinceA said:

I do think Starlight will get something. Those games sold out and I'm assuming the CSA gave the venue some sort of assurances of a make-up date. They could do a window where their home games are one at BC place and one at Starlight. Perhaps a smaller opponent goes to Starlight (for example if we draw Grenada in our group).

Sounds good in theory. 
But they could also do a Gold Cup tactic where they do a 2 for 1 price for both games at BC Place, or buy Costa Rica tickets and get Grenada tickets for %20 off.

54K sellout vs a Tier 2 opponent is likely. 
20K plus is definitely a possibility against a tier 3 opponent. 

Why limit that revenue opportunity to a max of 6k? because of the cancelled out of FIFA calendar friendly.....gotta think the CSA is thinking bigger, striking while their product is hot. 

I'll be surprised if a game is played at small stadium, regardless of the size of the opponent. 

In some interesting and depressing news in Nations League it seems Curacao has a lot going against them. As usual with Caribbean country feds, it looks like the president has stepped down leaving them with over $800l USD in debt after having his hands in their coffers for years. 

The worry now is they have to see who is willing to play for them without any sort of compensation. Some fans are saying they may not even be able to cover airfare.

Their ascent has been fun but when the federation is corrupt, there's a ceiling. Trinidad can attest to that.

Hopefully they can still attract more dual nationals, their team has been fun to watch as they've grown.

Edited by VinceA

3 hours ago, VinceA said:

In some interesting and depressing news in Nations League it seems Curacao has a lot going against them. As usual with Caribbean country feds, it looks like the president has stepped down leaving them with over $800l USD in debt after having his hands in their coffers for years. 

The worry now is they have to see who is willing to play for them without any sort of compensation. Some fans are saying they may not even be able to cover airfare.

Their ascent has been fun but when the federation is corrupt, there's a ceiling. Trinidad can attest to that.

Hopefully they can still attract more dual nationals, their team has been fun to watch as they've grown.

Blame CONcacaf. 

You would think after all these years, they would have an internal auditor of all the federations doings.

• 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

Only a week a way from the big draw that we've been waiting months for; that's right, I'm talkin' about the CONCACAF Nations League draw on Monday, April 4th :D :D

The funny thing is that after being spoiled for games over the last year, I am really, really looking forward to NL.  Whether we use it as a tune-up opportunity for the main squad or a chance to bring in some young/fringe guys and develop our depth, I know I will be thoroughly enjoying thee games. 

24 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

The funny thing is that after being spoiled for games over the last year, I am really, really looking forward to NL.  Whether we use it as a tune-up opportunity for the main squad or a chance to bring in some young/fringe guys and develop our depth, I know I will be thoroughly enjoying thee games. 

I really hope they bring in as much as the core as possible. I know some will likely need a break after the recent conclusion of season in Europe. Regardless the June home game is something to look forward to. 

3 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

Now that we are officially qualified. I'm equally excited for this tournament as I see it as the games that will solidify the depth roster.  Maybe this is an unpopular opinion but I would like to see two sets of rosters for these coming windows.

An "A" roster for when we have a 2 game window where theres only 1 NL game, and we schedule a friendly against the likes of Argentina.

A "B" roster for the other two games where we will play either one of Jamaica, Panama, Honduras, or El Salvador, and one of Grenada, Suriname, Martinique or Curcao. 

That roster to me would look like this:

GK: Creapeau, DSC, Breza
DF: Waterman, ZBG, GutiĂŠrrez, Cornelius, Kennedy, Shaffelburg, Holmes *
MF: Kone, Fraser, Piette, Paton, Okello, Priso, Petrasso, Choinière, Mitrovic*, Flores*
FW: Millar, Ugbo, Corbeanu, Akinola, Bair, Pasher, Brym, Jebbison*

Those two games will be the last ones before the WC to assess any "Kone" type players who are capable of being great depth pieces. There's 5 spots up for grabs in a 23 man roster. 18 barring any absences are guaranteed spots in the squad.

I'll stress this point for the A team: THERE'S NO SUCH THING AS PREPARATION AGAINST TEAMS THAT ARE INFERIOR TO US. 

Edited by Shway

On 3/28/2022 at 11:36 AM, Shway said:

Now that we are officially qualified. I'm equally excited for this tournament as I see it as the games that will solidify the depth roster.  Maybe this is an unpopular opinion but I would like to see two sets of rosters for these coming windows.

An "A" roster for when we have a 2 game window where theres only 1 NL game, and we schedule a friendly against the likes of Argentina.

A "B" roster for the other two games where we will play either one of Jamaica, Panama, Honduras, or El Salvador, and one of Grenada, Suriname, Martinique or Curcao. 

That roster to me would look like this:

GK: Creapeau, DSC, Breza
DF: Waterman, ZBG, GutiĂŠrrez, Cornelius, Kennedy, Shaffelburg, Holmes *
MF: Kone, Fraser, Piette, Paton, Okello, Priso, Petrasso, Choinière, Mitrovic*, Flores*
FW: Millar, Ugbo, Corbeanu, Akinola, Bair, Pasher, Brym, Jebbison*

Those two games will be the last ones before the WC to assess any "Kone" type players who are capable of being great depth pieces. There's 5 spots up for grabs in a 23 man roster. 18 barring any absences are guaranteed spots in the squad.

I'll stress this point for the A team: THERE'S NO SUCH THING AS PREPARATION AGAINST TEAMS THAT ARE INFERIOR TO US. 

That is where it gets interesting , as you say for the A group the preparation would be non against against a minnow. It many ways would be a useless exercise. I do wonder with it being a double break in June and Canada’s two matches being in the first week, does Herdman have an expanded camp with a possible friendly also in the cards?

8 minutes ago, Shway said:

question....is there rules against sending a B squad to play some of these games, while an A squad is playing a friendly at the same time?

No, none at all. for instances Canada has two NL games in June in the first week of the break. The first game is at home, the second on the road likely at a minnow. The CSA could do a friendly in the second week, its a double break. They could use June for an expanded camp, especially considering some guys will have just come off a long season in Europe. If all goes well Phonzie could be in the Champions League Final on May 28th, something to keep in mind too. 

5 minutes ago, Cblake said:

No, none at all. for instances Canada has two NL games in June in the first week of the break. The first game is at home, the second on the road likely at a minnow. The CSA could do a friendly in the second week, its a double break. They could use June for an expanded camp, especially considering some guys will have just come off a long season in Europe. If all goes well Phonzie could be in the Champions League Final on May 28th, something to keep in mind too. 

I was thinking two separate camps. One in Europe (A team) where two friendlies could be schedule, and one in Concacaf (B team) to play the NL games.

....but then again Herdman may not want that.

11 hours ago, Cblake said:

Fuck that! Ordinarily, I'd be all for the Phonz bossing the biggest club game of the year, but for him to do that, Bayern'd have had to have knocked over Liverpool in the semi. 

1 hour ago, InBorjanWeTrust said:

Give us Panama! We have some unfinished business here!!

Meh….chances are Panama is in a rebuild, and will bring in a younger core. And we’ll probably have a mixed squad. 

I personally don’t want to see our core against them….I want to see what Millar, Ugbo, Corbeanu, and Paton can do in extended minutes. 

What  I hope is that I will see my team sometime this year, somewhere I would be able to go when  I could go. Hopefully one out west. This is the benefit I can see in NL. 

No friggin way I can go to Qatar unless I win a lottery. I would be happier watching from afar on TV if I, at least ,had a chance to go and cheer them on in person.

7 hours ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

I've updated the first post now that the pots are settled.

Pot 1
Mexico
USA
Canada
Costa Rica

Pot 2
Panama
Jamaica
El Salvador
Honduras

Pot 3
Curaçao
Martinique
Suriname
Grenada

So Canada opens at home vs the pot 2 opponent and then on the road at the pot 3 one in June. 

Edited by Cblake