Have we morphed into the USA? Has the USA morphed into Mexico?

Obinna

At the risk of being dismissive, I don’t understand the frequent tendency to peg ourselves against the US or to use them as some sort of barometer for our status or accomplishments.   We have an entire thread following their team/program for some reason.  We compare our golden generation to their past iterations.  I just don’t get it. There are so many other more interesting objects of our attention.  

I agree with most of you that mentality, scrappiness, pride in playing for your country and teammates has an impact. But I do also think part of it is tactics. Both Canada and USA are better when they can counter attack, since we have good ball winning midfielders and we have athletic attackers for the most part. But USA faces a low block/bunkering more than we do. Whenever we face a team that plays a low block (like Costa Rica), we tend to struggle a bit too. Now the other difference is we have better attacking players/difference makers like Phonzie/David/Larin/Buchanan. So we can get struggle all game but still manage to get that 1 breakthrough goal, whereas USA doesn’t seem to have that at the moment (at least not against a team as good as Canada).