Jump to content

WCQ: El Salvador vs Canada- Wed, Feb 2, 9pm EST / 6pm Pacific - San Salvador


Recommended Posts

  • RS changed the title to WCQ: El Salvador vs Canada- Wed, Feb 2, 9pm EST / 6pm Pacific - San Salvador
47 minutes ago, Joe MacCarthy said:

 

Great video. There's a section when Jaime Macias says he was talking to South Americans on a talk show and he was asked about Canada and he replied something something Canada in South America. The feed broke up and I couldn't make out what he said but it was something complimentary to Canada because the South Americans were upset with his answer.

Also he was asked how far Canada could go in the WC. His reply: it's for conceivable they can go as far the quarters.

There was a section where Platt said a friend of his spoke to a MLS coach who after a few games in this qualification said that Canada was going to finish on top of the division.

The football world is taking notice of this excellent team.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Sal333 said:

Also he was asked how far Canada could go in the WC. His reply: it's for conceivable they can go as far the quarters.

As I wrote in another thread I want to see them against some highly ranked European and SA competition before the WC (if we get there)  I don't want any unpleasant surprises that we have been deluding ourselves like the US does.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, jonovision said:

I really hope Hutchinson and Eustaquio start in midfield together tomorrow. I had to check, but they've been in the XI together only 3 times so far in the Octo: vs Honduras (1-1), vs El Salvador (3-0), and vs Mexico (2-1). Possibly our biggest let-off of the campaign, and two impressive wins.

It was Eustachio and MAK for that game versus Mex (1-1) at the Azteca and for several other games. I think that is the strongest pairing for DM's.  Granted, i thought that MAK struggled on Sunday likely due to being in off season.   

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Joe MacCarthy said:

As I wrote in another thread I want to see them against some highly ranked European and SA competition before the WC (if we get there)  I don't want any unpleasant surprises that we have been deluding ourselves like the US does.

I agree with you 100%! The more the better. This team has lots of room to grow and by facing top level competition (and I don't mean the states and Mexico, they're paper tigers) they'll know how much more they need to give to reach THEIR best level.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Free kick said:

It was Eustachio and MAK for that game versus Mex (1-1) at the Azteca and for several other games. I think that is the strongest pairing for DM's.  Granted, i thought that MAK struggled on Sunday likely due to being in off season.   

I was referring to Canada-Mexico in Edmonton, which did feature Hutchinson and Eustaquio. I would also like to see more of Kaye. On my second viewing of Canada-USA he was not as bad as I had thought, or as many have said in that match thread.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Sal333 said:

I agree with you 100%! The more the better. This team has lots of room to grow and by facing top level competition (and I don't mean the states and Mexico, they're paper tigers) they'll know how much more they need to give to reach THEIR best level.

One or two non-embarrassing defeats against truly top opposition would probably be a good learning experience too.  Our guys clearly play well with confidence but you don’t want to lose your swagger after the first game of the WC because some pot 1 team humbles you in the opener.   

Link to comment
Share on other sites

39 minutes ago, jonovision said:

I was referring to Canada-Mexico in Edmonton, which did feature Hutchinson and Eustaquio. I would also like to see more of Kaye. On my second viewing of Canada-USA he was not as bad as I had thought, or as many have said in that match thread.

indeed, i was aware that you were referring to that game in Edmonton,  that was why mentioned (1-1) at Azteca.   Even though it was a draw, that game in Azteca might have been our best performance of the whole ocho when you consider the venue, the significance of the match, the opponent, the score etc...  i am going to be more impressed with someone who stood out at the Azteca where  i am very much inclined to throw out of the window (for evaluation purposes) anything that happened in Edmonton.  That surface seriously affect the game and the way it was played.  Players were struggling controlling ball because of the surface and the narrowness of the pitch.  It was not a not a normal soccer game.  

Edited by Free kick
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, jonovision said:

I really hope Hutchinson and Eustaquio start in midfield together tomorrow. I had to check, but they've been in the XI together only 3 times so far in the Octo: vs Honduras (1-1), vs El Salvador (3-0), and vs Mexico (2-1). Possibly our biggest let-off of the campaign, and two impressive wins.

Oh it was definitely our biggest let off of the campaign especially considering how Honduras has done since then and how we haven't had many disappointments since!

But in any case, I'd say there's a good chance of both of them starting. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Free kick said:

indeed, i was aware that you were referring to that game in Edmonton,  that was why mentioned (1-1) at Azteca.   Even though it was a draw, that game in Azteca might have been our best performance of the whole ocho when you consider the venue, the significance of the match, the opponent, the score etc...  i am going to be more impressed with someone who stood out at the Azteca where  i am very much inclined to throw out of the window (for evaluation purposes) anything that happened in Edmonton.  That surface seriously affect the game and the way to was played.  Player were struggling controlling ball because of the surface and the narrowness of the pitch.  It was not a not a normal soccer game.  

I thought the Panama game was our best effort.  After they went up early, it was wave after wave from Canada.  We had them pinned in their 1/3 for long stretches.  Little push back from Panama early in the second half, but after the Davies goal, it was cruise control. I get what you’re saying about the Azteca game but I thought this was our most superior effort 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, EJsens1 said:

I thought the Panama game was our best effort.  After they went up early, it was wave after wave from Canada.  We had them pinned in their 1/3 for long stretches.  Little push back from Panama early in the second half, but after the Davies goal, it was cruise control. I get what you’re saying about the Azteca game but I thought this was our most superior effort 

The Azteca match, especially the first half, may have been some of our best football, as @Free kick stated. I'm not sure what to make of the accomplishment, though: Mexico haven't been world beaters in this campaign. Their other results at home are a narrow 2-1 (89th minute winner) win over Jamaica, a 3-0 win over 10 man Honduras, and a 0-0 draw with Costa Rica. If Panama gets a result tomorrow, it makes our 1-1 look a little less impressive.

Edited by jonovision
Link to comment
Share on other sites

It's great that we have a few matches to choose from as our best so far after playing 10, away to Mexico was surprisingly good and the comeback and dazzling goal vs Panama was a great win, to me the El Salvador match should be in the mix, that was quite comprehensive from start to finish after only 2 points from the opening 2 matches, it felt like a must win at the time!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

48 minutes ago, Joe MacCarthy said:

As I wrote in another thread I want to see them against some highly ranked European and SA competition before the WC (if we get there)  I don't want any unpleasant surprises that we have been deluding ourselves like the US does.

I think the friendly prep for Qatar might be Euro-based, even a neutral site somewhere there against a South American opponent.  We might see a really tasty match or two against a big time opponent.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...