WCQ: El Salvador vs Canada- Wed, Feb 2, 9pm EST / 6pm Pacific - San Salvador

11 hours ago, Sal333 said:

Great video. There's a section when Jaime Macias says he was talking to South Americans on a talk show and he was asked about Canada and he replied something something Canada in South America. The feed broke up and I couldn't make out what he said but it was something complimentary to Canada because the South Americans were upset with his answer.

I THINK he said Canada "can play with" anyone in South America, which would make the subsequent reaction hilarious.

19 minutes ago, prairiecanuck said:

I feel like the only way Honduras could lose to the US would be playing in slippery minus 20 conditions where literally anything could happen.   What were they thinking?

US Soccer their whole organization needs changes from the top down 

18 minutes ago, MM3/MM2/MM said:

Strange that he shows up at every Canada game.  He played his Freshman year at Albany in the spring of 2021 (the delayed 2020 fall season) he was not on the roster for the 2021 fall season, is not playing club soccer anywhere, maybe he is an intern with the CSA.

Not sure how many interns would find there way out onto the pitch in training. But hey he is here for a reason, been given some sort of opportunity. Good on him, he has had a front row seat to quite a special time. 

1 minute ago, jonovision said:

"I think we see minimal rotation..." ... inserts 5 new guys into the XI

You’re missing my point.  I meant guys who have been playing this window in both games. I don’t see a Gutierrez or Cornelius type seeing the field like some have suggested 

Edited by EJsens1

1 minute ago, EJsens1 said:

I think a lot of us have kind of gotten drawn into more rotation than Herdman will actually do.  I think Gangué-Ruzic is probably right that he’s gonna put out his guys who have already played a lot in the first 2.

I think some of it will depend on a couple of things:

- how has Liam looked in training (he either gets the start or solid sub minutes IMO)

- how are Richie and Alistair holding up (those fitness trackers that they wear may suggest some fatigue that would warrant rotation) 

1 minute ago, dyslexic nam said:

I think some of it will depend on a couple of things:

- how has Liam looked in training (he either gets the start or solid sub minutes IMO)

- how are Richie and Alistair holding up (those fitness trackers that they wear may suggest some fatigue that would warrant rotation) 

If Canada can get up quick and really dictate things, squad rotation will especially come into play. They can knock El Salvador around, it is something I am sure we will all enjoy. 

11 minutes ago, EJsens1 said:

I think a lot of us have kind of gotten drawn into more rotation than Herdman will actually do.  I think Gangué-Ruzic is probably right that he’s gonna put out his guys who have already played a lot in the first 2.

Something like this is probably likely, but I am still holding out hope that Millar can get the start and show what he has to offer.

Here is some food for thought, Canada has to really exploit the space between El Salvador's fullbacks and centre backs. Against the top CONCACAF teams, El Salvador tend to passively sit back into a centrally compact, mid block, especially if they are ahead or the game is tied. This compact shape has led to 5 clean sheets and frustrated many teams in the Octagon so far. However, this strategy comes undone when teams are able to create space between El Salvador’s fullbacks and center backs. The El Salvador back line lacks discipline in holding their shape and the pace to recover once the initial block is bypassed on quick switches of play and in transition. Canada’s pace and precise, direct style are theoretically a good fit to exploit the space between El Salvador’s fullbacks and center backs to create prime goal scoring opportunities, Canada has the talent to do this, be it David, Larin etc. Go hard, score big.

33 minutes ago, MM3/MM2/MM said:

Strange that he shows up at every Canada game.  He played his Freshman year at Albany in the spring of 2021 (the delayed 2020 fall season) he was not on the roster for the 2021 fall season, is not playing club soccer anywhere, maybe he is an intern with the CSA.

Quick Google search. 

Looks like he played a bit with Whitecaps U-23 last summer.

My guess he ends up on their Next Pro team 

8 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

To me he is the one that is most likely to get cycled in - especially with Tajon on a yellow.  

I don't think Tajon, or any other player, being on a yellow factors into the decision for tonight. If someone were to be suspended after tonight they would be clear for the Jamaica match, which is the most winnable match of the next window (if we even have to win at that stage).

With minimal points needed and this being the last game of the window it's all hands on deck. 

6 minutes ago, Cblake said:

Here is some food for thought, Canada has to really exploit the space between El Salvador's fullbacks and centre backs. Against the top CONCACAF teams, El Salvador tend to passively sit back into a centrally compact, mid block, especially if they are ahead or the game is tied. This compact shape has led to 5 clean sheets and frustrated many teams in the Octagon so far. However, this strategy comes undone when teams are able to create space between El Salvador’s fullbacks and center backs. The El Salvador back line lacks discipline in holding their shape and the pace to recover once the initial block is bypassed on quick switches of play and in transition. Canada’s pace and precise, direct style are theoretically a good fit to exploit the space between El Salvador’s fullbacks and center backs to create prime goal scoring opportunities, Canada has the talent to do this, be it David, Larin etc. Go hard, score big.

The scenario you describe is basically what we saw on Canada's first goal vs El Salvador at BMO.

1 hour ago, canuckgbp said:

That's the thing. He plays as a CB, a position of need for the program. He can't crack our squad, hasn't signed with a team (I think) but gets to travel all over with the team. Maybe he is going the coaching route? I have no idea. It is so strange lol. 

I wish Herdman would pack out the squad with more midfielders and if this guy is travelling, it can't be about saving $$$ lol. 

I just assume he plays a role in training, they ask him to be there for certain drills, or work with guys who may need extra work.

Sort of like a third keeper, you are there to support the team. I think it must be for that reason; it is better than having filler in the squad that knows they will never get minutes, all these long rosters everyone is calling for. He's a support player and I value that; he's probably also being paid something.

1 hour ago, Cblake said:

That will hopefully make the setting just as tame as San Pedro Sula was. Canada has been hitting these usual tough environments at the perfect time during this campaign.   

I feel like tonight's crowd will be a polar opposite from Honduras last match. Don't forget that they just stole a monumental three points themselves in Honduras. They are an injured (but not eliminated) dog in the corner right now.

26 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

I don't think Tajon, or any other player, being on a yellow factors into the decision for tonight. If someone were to be suspended after tonight they would be clear for the Jamaica match, which is the most winnable match of the next window (if we even have to win at that stage).

With minimal points needed and this being the last game of the window it's all hands on deck. 

Fair point.  Tajon has also played a lot of minutes and I could see him being used as a sub rather than a starter.  

One thing I am curious about is if we will try to set up for fast break attacks tonight.  With Richie, Tajon, Liam and Sam as possibilities on the outside we have tons of speed even without Phonzie.  Not sure who is fastest among our striker pool (none of them see particularly pacey) but it would be interesting to see how they all match up with the ES back line.  I could see us using that sort of tactic being used in what could be a tricky away fixture.  I know we all want 9 points from this window but one of the main objectives has to be a strong defensive performance that would ensure at least a point.  

Edited by dyslexic nam