Deandre Kerr

JamesF

6 hours ago, El Hombre said:

Don't forget about O'Brian White too.  Our program is still reeling from that loss.  😛

Was Dever Orgill eligible for us before playing for Jamaica? I seem to remember he played in the Vancouver Metro League after getting kicked out of the Whitecaps residency program. 

8 hours ago, El Hombre said:

They list him as a forward but Dunfield refers to him as a "powerful attacking box-to-box midfielder".  Does anyone remember where he played with the U17s or know how he played with Syracuse?

For Canada u17 at the Brasil WC, from what I saw, the description as a box-to-box midfielder is apt. But more offensive minded than Priso who also played with the u17s. Kerr played more on the opposite wing of Nelson but often was in the middle.

Kerr showed power and pace that we want to see in Okello. But I think Okello has a better skillset. Will now see how much Kerr improved over the past 2 years.

Edited by red card

Looked up his past season. He finished 6 in the ACC in scoring. 4 of the 5 guys ahead of him were at least 2 year older, and 3 of them were first round MLS picks. He also had a statically better 2 seasons at Syracuse than Tajon did.

So far this off-season TFC is making it very difficult to complain about they can con next season.

They’re very young.

im going to make a controversial claim….

if TFC had of scouted and developed the GTA properly since their inception, they’d of produced 3 players as good as David.

the amount of talent in the GTA is stupid as is the talent of Ontario….

call me nuts but hey Holland…

Hopefully we actually see the kids this year but TFC is looking vet low right now… and more Canadian than ever.

Edited by Dominic94

1 hour ago, Dominic94 said:

if TFC had of scouted and developed the GTA properly since their inception, they’d of produced 3 players as good as David.

the amount of talent in the GTA is stupid as is the talent of Ontario….

I definitely agree. 
It's the structure of the MLS that has hindered this. 

It's either you build to win or build to sell and lose.

FC Dallas are who they are because they have focused heavily on development, and consistently have had top academies for years. TFC likewise, has had a top academy in MLS/USSDA for years but the opportunities have been "limited" because of the focus to win. 

They basically control the entire Ontario market, and the most successful academy product/graduate has been Doneil Henry. That is crazy to me.

16 hours ago, Dominic94 said:

Disagree on the David part because he's already one of the most talented players we've ever produced, he's the Canadian soccer equivalent of Crosby/McDavid and players as good as him simply don't come around too often. However, I'm sure there are a bunch of Larin/Buchanan type players TFC have probably missed by how they've dealt with young players.

This could be the year we see TFC finally feature way more Canadians though. When Jozy gets bought out, we'll be down to only 4 Americans, two of them being outfield players! It's good when the veterans are DPs/internationals instead of the American Journeymen.

Edited by Bdog

6 hours ago, Bdog said:

Disagree on the David part because he's already one of the most talented player's we've ever produced, he's the Canadian soccer equivalent of Crosby/McDavid and players as good as him simply don't come around too often. However, I'm sure there are a bunch of Larin/Buchanan type players TFC have probably missed by how they've dealt with young players.

This could be the year we see TFC finally feature way more Canadians though. When Jozy gets bought out, we'll be down to only 4 Americans, two of them being outfield players! It's good when the veterans are DPs/internationals instead of the American Journeymen.

Davies and David are indeed our Crosby and McDavid but they are not soccers ATM.

reality is that Crosby and McDavid are more Ronaldo/Messi tier for their sport, McDavid also came from the GTA… which produces how many elite players… I truly believe they’ve missed several Buchanan’s, but I also truly believe that there were kids who’d have been as good as David if TFC tried to have a great pathway from the start.

Dallas didn’t start so long ago with that pathway, might be 10 years ?

On 1/21/2022 at 12:56 PM, CanadaFan123 said:

Hutchinson is Trini.

There was a player years ago named Andy Williams who was born in Toronto but played for Jamaica. He was a good MLS player and even came back to bite us (sorta) when he whipped in a corner that Onstad punched in our net in 2008.

De Guzmán is a nobility surname from northern Spain near the evergreen and fresh Basque Country.   It is an aristocratic family name, I guess Julian and Jonathan may have a coat of arms from.their family name.  He played in La Coruña for the galician club, northwest of the surname origin.  

46 minutes ago, Vasi said:

Yeah but with us being a regular at World Cups from now on.......we will have less and less stars poached. 

With an expanded world cup there is no way we will be missing future WCs. 

Seems like we are getting more players poached simply because are depth has gotten so strong. 

On 1/21/2022 at 11:13 PM, Shway said:

I definitely agree. 
It's the structure of the MLS that has hindered this. 

It's either you build to win or build to sell and lose.

FC Dallas are who they are because they have focused heavily on development, and consistently have had top academies for years. TFC likewise, has had a top academy in MLS/USSDA for years but the opportunities have been "limited" because of the focus to win. 

They basically control the entire Ontario market, and the most successful academy product/graduate has been Doneil Henry. That is crazy to me.

I think both can be achieved, you can build to win and also bring one or two prospects successfully into the fold, and I believe TFC's upper brass is starting to realize that. RB Jersey does it, the Union to. 

With Soteldo, Altidore, Mullins and Dwyer out the door and Insigne not coming until the summer there is a good chance the younger generation Kerr, Schaffelburg, Peruzza and Nelson (or possibly Akinola) are going to get a decent amount of minutes for TFC this spring. 

From Michael Singh, Waking the Red:

New Toronto FC signing Deandre Kerr certainly made a splash in his preseason debut for the club, netting two goals in a 5-4 loss to the LA Galaxy. According to a source, Kerr has really impressed in training camp and may just be one to watch out for in 2022 season.

Bradley, who has voiced his excitement for the crop of Toronto FC youngsters, offered some insight into what he’s seen from the 19-year-old Ajax, Ontario native early on:

“Deandre comes in, he’s a little bit shy and quiet, but now we show him certain ideas on the training field, we connect the dots with certain video, and now to see in the first game against the Galaxy, him apply some of those things. He was able to get from outside-in, something I talk about a lot: wide attackers that don’t just play out on the touch line, but get outside-in. When you show some of these guys video of players like Mohamed Salah who have those qualities, and to see a little of that come out in Deandre, man that felt great. If we can continue to build on that, then the upside is great, so really excited with him.”

4 hours ago, canadianbacons said:

With Soteldo, Altidore, Mullins and Dwyer out the door and Insigne not coming until the summer there is a good chance the younger generation Kerr, Schaffelburg, Peruzza and Nelson (or possibly Akinola) are going to get a decent amount of minutes for TFC this spring. 

From Michael Singh, Waking the Red:

New Toronto FC signing Deandre Kerr certainly made a splash in his preseason debut for the club, netting two goals in a 5-4 loss to the LA Galaxy. According to a source, Kerr has really impressed in training camp and may just be one to watch out for in 2022 season.

Bradley, who has voiced his excitement for the crop of Toronto FC youngsters, offered some insight into what he’s seen from the 19-year-old Ajax, Ontario native early on:

“Deandre comes in, he’s a little bit shy and quiet, but now we show him certain ideas on the training field, we connect the dots with certain video, and now to see in the first game against the Galaxy, him apply some of those things. He was able to get from outside-in, something I talk about a lot: wide attackers that don’t just play out on the touch line, but get outside-in. When you show some of these guys video of players like Mohamed Salah who have those qualities, and to see a little of that come out in Deandre, man that felt great. If we can continue to build on that, then the upside is great, so really excited with him.”

Boy, we do seem to have quite of bit players described as shy.

This is one of Bradley's standard coaching methods. In order to make a connection to a young player, he asks them who is their favourite player. I bet Kerr said Salah. Down the road, Bradley will then show clips of said favourite player doing things. He will then ask the young player to do the same in training/match day.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Colliedor said:

Ya very quiet. Most of the build up was on the left side, but when it did go to the right, both Kerr and Rutty were playing very narrow. This didn't help because it just gave the team less passing options.

Yes I noticed this as well.

Why was JMR playing so narrow though, when they needed width. Thought that was a problem, and probably a testament to where he should be playing. 

• 1 month later...