Cloé Lacasse

red card

This is must be a benefit of winning gold as the Athletic has its second article in a week about a Canadian player.

Interesting tidbits are:

Her mum hated the cold interiors of ice hockey arenas so dodged the national sport and put her in football and taekwondo sessions. She made the national team for taekwondo before choosing to completely focus on football at 12.

Speaks English and French fluently but picked up Portuguese quicker than Icelandic.

She has already registered nine goals and five assists this season and has become a local icon, the fans have even given her the nickname “Cloe Le-Class”.

I’m contracted here until 2024 but I’m open to opportunities. It’s just about what best suits my career and my lifestyle. Portugal right now has been a fantastic place to live and Benfica has been an exceptional club to be around. The people here really want me to grow as a player and they want me to be happy and that’s really the two most important things right now. I’m finding both here, so I can’t complain.”

https://theathletic.com/3017653/2021/12/15/cloe-lacasse-the-canadian-forward-with-icelandic-citizenship-who-is-humbled-to-be-at-benfica/

Edited by red card

• 8 months later...

Women's Champions League Qualifying going on right now in the 77th min.

Benfica is dominating the game at Ibrox vs. Rangers but the score is tied 2 - 2. 

It's been a great game, with lots of action.

Chloe has played well, though perhaps she should get her shot off more instead of deferring to others.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • red card changed the title to Cloé Lacasse
17 minutes ago, JasonDias said:

Just popped one in against Bayern. Woop woop!

Lacasse with an assist & goal (keeper error or may have been deflected).

But Bayern came back to win 3-2 on Stanway's 2 goals.

Edited by red card

12 hours ago, vancanman said:

Hmmm...from WIkipedia:

Screenshot 2022-11-01 at 12.13.49.png

That was probably the "I haven't been called up by the Canadian national team and I'm in my mid-20s and want to play international soccer, so I'll play for Iceland if I can" move. Ultimately she wasn't eligible for Iceland it says in her international section since she didn't meet the 5 year residency rule.

Completely different situation than the teenagers who have chosen other countries on the men's side that have been the topic of recent discussion. Lacasse was running out of time and Canada wasn't calling.

Edited by rydermike

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

Sooo... at what point should she move to a better league?

Feels very much like a "big fish in a small pond situation".

I was just going to ask the same thing. I don't know where the Portuguese league ranks among women's leagues, but I'm sure it's not at the top. Seems like she is scoring every week.