Road to India - u17 World Cup

red card

4 hours ago, Ivan said:

Thanks.  Did not know Humphries was Priestman's wife!

That was the controversy surrounding her hire.

Fans were asking if she was objectively the most qualified or if it was nepotism.

She has more pressure than most because she has to prove beyond all doubt that it wasn't favouritism.

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille

Congratulations to the team qualifying to India's World Cup.  It took the good players that entered in the second half to make a difference in our favor.  Humphries took a big risk not starting with her best players.  I hope she learned a lesson or her husband gives her a talking.

The woman who was the color commentator was pathetic, she had no idea of anything.  I had to mute my tv.  Is she the best Onesoccer can come out with.

Closing thoughts on today and the tournament as a whole:

Lallier - Good shot stopper, excellent rebound control, composed for her age, sits a little too deep but quick feet often make up for it

Malouf - I’m not prepared to call her the next great Canadian striker, but she certainly impressed. Ball striking was excellent, positioning was good. Doesn’t have the explosive speed which is the only thing that gives me pause. At that age though, an extra year really makes a difference, so we’ll see how she develops. Very hopeful.

Allen - Really like her game. Every time she’s on the ball I expect something to happen and it usually does.

Ottey - Solid. Tidy with the ball. Would love to see if she could handle a more central role box-to-box role. Her close control, passing, and decision making were better than anyone we had in the centre, but it’s certainly understandable why they would want to use her on the wings given her family’s Olympic sprinting pedigree. When they finally took her off corner duty and put her in the box, she almost scored - attacked the the ball well.

Watson - Started brightly but waned somewhat as the tournament wore on. Fitness/injury issue perhaps. Always involved and trying to make something happen though.

Perrault  - If she can work on her technique even a little she’s going to be a force. The pace is clearly there but she just left the ball a little too far in front of her on the dribble. Exciting prospect. Love the hair.

Hernandez Gray - not a lot to say, but she had a few moments of brilliance. 

Monck, Rose, Bordeleau - meh

Malouf will get most of the attention, as she should, but Allen and Ottey were also real standouts.

Not sold on Humpries. She took what should have been a walk in the park and turned it into a series of nervy games against weaker opponents. She did shout less as the tournament went on though... or they stopped putting mics anywhere near her.

24 minutes ago, footballfreak said:

Closing thoughts on today and the tournament as a whole:

Lallier - Good shot stopper, excellent rebound control, composed for her age, sits a little too deep but quick feet often make up for it

Malouf - I’m not prepared to call her the next great Canadian striker, but she certainly impressed. Ball striking was excellent, positioning was good. Doesn’t have the explosive speed which is the only thing that gives me pause. At that age though, an extra year really makes a difference, so we’ll see how she develops. Very hopeful.

Allen - Really like her game. Every time she’s on the ball I expect something to happen and it usually does.

Ottey - Solid. Tidy with the ball. Would love to see if she could handle a more central role box-to-box role. Her close control, passing, and decision making were better than anyone we had in the centre, but it’s certainly understandable why they would want to use her on the wings given her family’s Olympic sprinting pedigree. When they finally took her off corner duty and put her in the box, she almost scored - attacked the the ball well.

Watson - Started brightly but waned somewhat as the tournament wore on. Fitness/injury issue perhaps. Always involved and trying to make something happen though.

Perrault  - If she can work on her technique even a little she’s going to be a force. The pace is clearly there but she just left the ball a little too far in front of her on the dribble. Exciting prospect. Love the hair.

Hernandez Gray - not a lot to say, but she had a few moments of brilliance. 

Monck, Rose, Bordeleau - meh

Malouf will get most of the attention, as she should, but Allen and Ottey were also real standouts.

Not sold on Humpries. She took what should have been a walk in the park and turned it into a series of nervy games against weaker opponents. She did shout less as the tournament went on though... or they stopped putting mics anywhere near her.

Just to say I agree with your take on Humphries.  She nearly lost it.  Once in India facing top teams she can't afford sitting down her best players.  I don't share your take on Lallier.  Her positioning near or on her line is good.  I hope she will not be coached to become some wanderer keeper.

1 hour ago, The Ref said:

Just to say I agree with your take on Humphries.  She nearly lost it.  Once in India facing top teams she can't afford sitting down her best players.  I don't share your take on Lallier.  Her positioning near or on her line is good.  I hope she will not be coached to become some wanderer keeper.

You misunderstood. I’m not advocating for her to become a sweeper keeper. She stays planted on her line when she should be one step further out to cut down angles. I recognized it immediately because a) it is a common issue with younger keepers, and b) I had the same problem at that age.

17 hours ago, The Ref said:

Just to say I agree with your take on Humphries.  She nearly lost it.  Once in India facing top teams she can't afford sitting down her best players.

I didn't watch much of this tournament, mostly just highlights. But I have to point out that Canada played 7 games in 15 days, virtually a game every other day. Even though these are teenagers, they can still get tired. It might have been best to give players like Malouf some rest and come on in the second half when Puerto Rico were tiring.

My post tourney thoughts are:

- Mexico has now a lot of dual nationals. Finishing 3rd at the last u17 World Cup has made them take women's youth football seriously. With their US training, they are now more quicker, fitter & stronger than Canada. They have basically cemented themselves as #2 at the Concacaf youth level.

-  Tatiana Flores would likely have been Canada's 2nd best player. Marbiel Flores would have been Canada's best attacking mid.

- US team makeup was more diverse with more Hispanics than previous teams. Even the undersized US youth are stronger, faster, fitter and kick the ball harder than any Canadian ex for a couple of players.

- Compared to the recent u20s, the Canada player minutes weren't as managed effectively. Having Maalouf produce nearly 50% of the goals and 3 close matches didn't help. Ex Maalouf, the strikers underperformed or were the wrong selections. 

- US & Mexico basically had their matches won by the 30 minute. Canada scored mostly in the second half which showed weak starting 11 selections, lack of depth and weak match tactics.

- Looking at the Canada team that finished 4th in Uruguay in 2018, 2 have made the senior team (Huitema & Riviere) and 1 is pro (Huitema). About 5 made the recent u20s and basically everyone ex Huitema is playing with US college teams.

- The US team that failed to get out of its group has 2 notable pros - Rodman is the highest paid in the NWSL and Fishel is one of the highest paid in ligaMX.

- So, we'll have a better idea post India but as of now, the 3 players that look best to be with the Canada senior team in the next 4 years are Maalouf, Ottey & Perrault. 

5 hours ago, Kent said:

I didn't watch much of this tournament, mostly just highlights. But I have to point out that Canada played 7 games in 15 days, virtually a game every other day. Even though these are teenagers, they can still get tired. It might have been best to give players like Malouf some rest and come on in the second half when Puerto Rico were tiring.

I agree that 7 games in 15 days is pretty demanding.  But giving a player another 45 more minutes of rest I don't think it will make much difference for physical recovery.  I am a believer that when the result of a game is crucial for staying in competition or say qualify for a World Cup, one needs to start with one's top players and secure a win first of all.

Edited by The Ref

7 hours ago, The Ref said:

I agree that 7 games in 15 days is pretty demanding.  But giving a player another 45 more minutes of rest I don't think it will make much difference for physical recovery.  I am a believer that when the result of a game is crucial for staying in competition or say qualify for a World Cup, one needs to start with one's top players and secure a win first of all.

I think you are right that it won't do much for her recovery, but she will be playing against other players that have had a similarly gruelling schedule and who played the first half. Anyways, your strategy may have worked, but we know Humphries strategy worked. Hopefully she gets the team playing well in the World Cup, and hopefully the schedule isn't as congested so we can see a maximum amount of Malouf!

Watched a bit of the Euro u-17s and thought I'd comment. Perhaps to offer a bit of comparison with our status at this age in Concacaf.

There is a lot of poor play from the weaker teams, with total inability to keep possession or any sort of shape on the field. Sometimes the flaws are surprising. Basically, after say the top three, there's a drop off. England don't compete well at this level, either, they did not even qualify for the final 8 tournament.

Then up a step: France losing to Germany in semis was totally useless, not a player I liked. Behind 1-0 and unable to advance the ball, there were clueless plays every 30 seconds. Not sure their selection system is right because their 20-22 year olds are amongst the best anywhere. Germany, who have won over half of u-17s since they began in UEFA (played yearly) were just firmer, without a lot of flash, what we expect from them.

Although Spain beat Netherlands in the other semi 3-0, the losers were a solid side. They defended tenatiously, have a fine keeper, and seemed to have more football. They even had chances. Spain is physically short but very fit and fast and pressured the hell out of them. Many of their u-17s are playing reserves for pro clubs, and some have even played top flight. Including an amazing 15 year old, Vicky López, who can dance and dribble rivals in the box, takes corners with her right and free kicks with her left, and has already played for Madrid CFF (not Real). I personally believe that one thing the women's game is missing are tricky, flashy strikers (also taller more athletic keepers).

In UEFA, Spain and Germany dominate at this age level: they play the final this weekend. Only exception amongst competition winners was Poland.

• 1 month later...
10 hours ago, rkomar said:

That's a tough group.  I haven't been following recently, but Japan and France used to always be near the top of the world in that age group.

I always wonder how much does tradition counts when for each youth tournament the players are different from the time before.  Even coaches tend to be others.