Road to India - u17 World Cup

red card

I wasn't too impressed with this team after seeing them play the 2 friendlies vs Mexico last year. But now, they look better than the u20 team that just qualified.

The u17s look to be much more comfortable with the ball and can beat players on skill rather than just on speed and physicality. It helps that they play with an actual 10 in Hernandez-Gray.

But the back line passing wasn't crisp and too prone to turnovers with a slightest pressure.

Have been watching hoping to see the next Sinclair or Fleming, but haven’t been super impressed so far, despite the two other lopsided wins. Not a lot of strong decision making or real team-built goals that I’ve seen. Lots of long balls and runs straight at defenders even with other options around. You could argue that they’re young and that might be down to coaching, but these are still elite national level athletes. Hope the Jamaica game is a wake up call because they won’t beat the US or Mexico playing this way. 

Just now, shorty said:

Have been watching hoping to see the next Sinclair or Fleming, but haven’t been super impressed so far, despite the two other lopsided wins. Not a lot of strong decision making or real team-built goals that I’ve seen. Lots of long balls and runs straight at defenders even with other options around. You could argue that they’re young and that might be down to coaching, but these are still elite national level athletes. Hope the Jamaica game is a wake up call because they won’t beat the US or Mexico playing this way. 

I look at them as a bunch of 15-16 year olds still trying to figure out their strengths and weaknesses.  I wouldn’t discount any of them, nor would I overhype any of them.  Let’s give them 3-4 more years and let them enjoy the experience.

2 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

I look at them as a bunch of 15-16 year olds still trying to figure out their strengths and weaknesses.  I wouldn’t discount any of them, nor would I overhype any of them.  Let’s give them 3-4 more years and let them enjoy the experience.

Totally fair. Though I note that many would not say the same for the Canadian Mens Junior Hockey team. I think there is a delicate “you’re a teenager, but you’re also an elite athlete with higher aspirations” set of expectations that could be applied to all junior athletes regardless of gender. 

1-1

Was at work and only got to see the last 9 minutes.

Emma Humphries yelled too much and it's all technical jargon but it's funny contrasting her style with what the Jamaican coach yelled.

🤣 That dude was very direct and hilarious...

---

Honduras is next? They should be a weaker team than Jamaica.

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille

38 minutes ago, shorty said:

Totally fair. Though I note that many would not say the same for the Canadian Mens Junior Hockey team. I think there is a delicate “you’re a teenager, but you’re also an elite athlete with higher aspirations” set of expectations that could be applied to all junior athletes regardless of gender. 

These girls are 15 and 16 years old, for the most part. The Canadian Men's Junior Hockey team is usually made up of 17-20 year olds, with the vast majority being over 18. Massive difference.

Fair enough. Maybe not the best comparison.  I guess I am just trying to hold the girls to the same standard that I would hold the U17 boys. The last U17 World Cup for the Canadian boys (at least that I recall) was Jordan Hamilton etc and I don’t remember thinking: “I’m not worried about their lack of on-field awareness because they’re 15 and 16 and they’re still figuring it out.”  My standard was higher.  Now, those boys were largely in professional academies already at that point whereas the girls aren’t yet because those opportunities don’t exist domestically (as far as I know), but if we don’t expect the same standard, when will we get there? 

I guess, though, if we aren’t there now, it’s fair not to expect the same level, but that feels to me like accepting the status quo disparity.  Does that make sense?

This is the bracket according to wikipedia. Only the top 3 advance to the Final tournament in India.

Assuming Honduras will be easy the real key match will be the quarter-final on May 4 v Costa Rica. The USA will be tough in the semis. But the other half of the draw should be easy for Canada if we end up in the 3rd place game.

image.png.de135673c8a30d3f2be52a174a4d1da7.png

22 hours ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

1-1

Was at work and only got to see the last 9 minutes.

Emma Humphries yelled too much and it's all technical jargon but it's funny contrasting her style with what the Jamaican coach yelled.

🤣 That dude was very direct and hilarious...

---

Honduras is next? They should be a weaker team than Jamaica.

Humphries’ coaching style bugs me so much. Less is more. Shouting instructions at players in the box as a free kick is literally in the air does no one any good. Either you’ve prepared your players beforehand, or you haven’t. You can’t make that up in competition.

22 minutes ago, footballfreak said:

Humphries’ coaching style bugs me so much. Less is more. Shouting instructions at players in the box as a free kick is literally in the air does no one any good. Either you’ve prepared your players beforehand, or you haven’t. You can’t make that up in competition.

Canada had 35 corners vs Bermuda. No goals scored and I can't recall any shots on goal being produced. Around the 20th corner, they went mostly the short route and rarely got the ball in the box.

They have had 2 training camps. Enough time to devise a few set piece routines. So, Humphries micro-management on all 35 corners raises some questions.