CF Montreal - 2022 Season Thread

Big_M

4 hours ago, reggietfc said:

Has a tfc fan,i hate to say it but mtl have been solid,they are leap years ahead of tfc.

The most impressive and shocking part of yesterday's result is it was the first game without Wanyama and Kone bossing the midfield.  Piette and Choiniere's first start in months.  Changing both center mids is a drastic change, and they just kept chugging along like it was the same 11 it's always been.  Furthermore, Choiniere played in the midfield as opposed to WB where he's been playing the past 2 years.

All their subs seem to have the same effect, Olivier Renard has built the team well, they have cover across the field.  Injuries that should hurt CFM don't seem to.  Goals are coming from everywhere.  It'd be impressive if they manage to keep this up.

This is exactly what we realized the issue was when we had Nesta, Di Vaio, Piatti, Drogba, etc.... when your DP is missing due to injury, the team is nowhere nearly as good. On top of that, Di Vaio, Drogba, etc... are used to being surrounded by top level players.  It was a painful adjustment for them to be playing beside the Oduros, Romeros, etc....

We'd watch the Sporting KC's and be impressed with their accomplishments without the stars.  That's the model they aimed for, it took a while, but they seem to have arrived.

Edited by costarg

I’m new in this forum so apologies if this has already been answered but why would the game not be on TSN tonight?  There’s a repeat of 2020 Tennis on TSN 4&5 during this time instead of live MLS soccer.  They showed a CF Montreal game on the weekend so why lot tonight?  Happy to take the ELI5 or TL;DR answer, no need for a 500 word essay.  Thanks in advance.

7 minutes ago, Lurker said:

I’m new in this forum so apologies if this has already been answered but why would the game not be on TSN tonight?  There’s a repeat of 2020 Tennis on TSN 4&5 during this time instead of live MLS soccer.  They showed a CF Montreal game on the weekend so why lot tonight?  Happy to take the ELI5 or TL;DR answer, no need for a 500 word essay.  Thanks in advance.

TSN sucks.

If you have Bell or Rogers with flex channels you can easily add TVA Sports and watch all CF Montreal games 

31 minutes ago, Lurker said:

Not worth it given it will have less than 50k watching. It's one of those now frequent lost nights for TSN with Battle of Alberta, Jays & NBA playoffs all on SN. It will also overlap the Caps match and unlike the Caps/TFC, TSN's parent company isn't the main sponsor/owner of CFM.

So, it is easier & cheaper to show a filler MLS match featuring 2 American teams at 730 since they just need to do a click or two. They could carry the Nashville feed but that is still a faux pas that isn't yet ready to be breached.

Edited by red card

Makes sense… I think.  I’m still baffled that the same tennis match from last year is on both TSN 4/5 during this time.  Perhaps the cost of picking up the Nashville feed isn’t worth it given expected viewership numbers.

https://www.mlssoccer.com/news/is-europe-the-next-step-for-cf-montreal-midfielder-djordje-mihailovic

Can't say I am surprised and I always knew that he (and Miller, Johnston and Kone to a lesser extent) would probably move abroad sooner rather then latter but I was hoping, and still hope, that the core of the team can be kept together until the end of the season, since MTL is a real contender in MLS this year, and ideally for at least another go at the CONCACAF Champions League (I'd argue MTL is definitely the favourite to win the Voyageurs Cup again this year).

Anyone know why Kone has been out of the match day squad for the last couple games? Someone said he fell a bit out of form, but if that were the case, I’d imagine they’d have played him in the game against Forge at the very least. Funny that The Athletic posted an article about his development and since then, I think he missed 3 straight match day squads?

On 5/30/2022 at 11:20 AM, InglewoodJack said:

Anyone know why Kone has been out of the match day squad for the last couple games? Someone said he fell a bit out of form, but if that were the case, I’d imagine they’d have played him in the game against Forge at the very least. Funny that The Athletic posted an article about his development and since then, I think he missed 3 straight match day squads?

I heard knee injury.

If anyone here has high quality digital pics of the young Canadian CFM players (mainly the ones without Topps cards) I would love to get a copy of the file.  I want to get some autographs when they are in PEI so I would print pictures off for anyone that doesn’t have a card I can get signed.  PM me if you have anything you would share. Thanks