HFX Wanderers - 2022 Season Thread

Big_M

50 minutes ago, masster said:

Has there been a more disappointing signing in the league this season than Mohamed Omar? A player taken in the first round of the MLS draft that hasn't been able to make any impact whatsoever. Only 10 appearances and hasn't looked good when I've seen him play.

I've been more disappointed with Daniels then I have with Omar.  I also think Omar has looked pretty good in both the midfield and in central defense.

I don't understand the lack of appearances... it really took a while before he got some playing time.  I expected him to feature almost right away.   I have no idea why that is.

It's hard to say who should be back next season but I won't be disappointed if Omar returns.

1 hour ago, masster said:

Has there been a more disappointing signing in the league this season than Mohamed Omar? A player taken in the first round of the MLS draft that hasn't been able to make any impact whatsoever. Only 10 appearances and hasn't looked good when I've seen him play.

100 %

I watched him live vs. Guelph in the Voyageurs Cup and he looked dodgy in that game.  Daniels on the other hand was dominant.

A quiet Sunday reviewing previous HFX games here are some interesting stats. 8 out of our 23 goals (35%) have come Via penalties. 3 of our 8 wins (37.5%) were won by us hitting a penalty kick for the win. 2 of our 4 draws (50%) came from a penalty kick. I mean we are dead last in the league in scoring - however I think the excessive amount of penalty kicks we have been awarded have propped us up. Without the penalties we really could be bottom of table.

I think it's time for Hart to be "promoted". Lets be real, we need him to play a role in the club, hopefully in a position where he can help build the local pipeline... But he just hasn't been able to make it work with the first team. I wonder what it would take to get MDS from LA... I think the new coach either needs to be a guy like MDS who wins at this level, or a guy like Carmine Issaco, who has great relationships in L1O and can leverage those to bring in players as our main disadvantage is our lack of a local league to recruit from. 

If I was picking who to keep and who to cut it would look something like this; 

Keep

Kieran Baskett
Zachary Fernandez
João Morelli
Andre Rampersad
Lifumpa Mwandwe
Jérémy Gagnon-Laparé
Samuel Salter
Mohamed Omar
Eriks Santos
Cristian Campagna

Everyone here I've seen enough of to say they're good CPL players or they're young and have potential to grow into it. Campanga and Omar I've like in the past couple games. I'm more comfortable with Baskett than Oxner at this point, but would like to see him as the back up next year if we can replace Oxner. Everyone else in this list I'm fine with as starters next season. 

The Bubble

Christian Oxner
Jake Ruby
Aidan Daniels
Pierre Lamothe
Peter Schaale
Ludwig Kodjo Amla
Cory Bent
Gabriel Escobar
Colin Gander
Marcello Polisi
Kareem Sow

Gander, Sow, Polisi, Ruby, on very minimal contracts would be okay as depth guys but definitely shouldn't walk into the season in starting roles and honestly it might be worth taking a risk on other players to see if you might find a gem. Bent, Schaale, Lamothe I think can play in this league but have not been up to it this year, so it depends where they fall on the salary scale and domestic status for 2 of them. Amla, I think we probably need to give him some starts up top at the end to see. Escobar I have only seen twice, but I just feel like he's very uncomfortable, we'll see if he gets up to speed in the last few games. Oxner either needs to be replaced by someone with experience or he needs to come in as the back up. Daniels I think is a dangerous player, but doesn't fit the system, id say bring him back, especially if we replace Hart. 

Goodbye
Ryan Robinson
Akeem Garcia
Mour Samb
Obeng Tabi

These guys have just not added anything, I don't feel great about having Garcia here, but he's really just been not good for a couple years now. 

17 minutes ago, BradMack said:

If I was picking who to keep and who to cut it would look something like this; 

Keep

Kieran Baskett
Zachary Fernandez
João Morelli
Andre Rampersad
Lifumpa Mwandwe
Jérémy Gagnon-Laparé
Samuel Salter
Mohamed Omar
Eriks Santos
Cristian Campagna

Everyone here I've seen enough of to say they're good CPL players or they're young and have potential to grow into it. Campanga and Omar I've like in the past couple games. I'm more comfortable with Baskett than Oxner at this point, but would like to see him as the back up next year if we can replace Oxner. Everyone else in this list I'm fine with as starters next season. 

The Bubble

Christian Oxner
Jake Ruby
Aidan Daniels
Pierre Lamothe
Peter Schaale
Ludwig Kodjo Amla
Cory Bent
Gabriel Escobar
Colin Gander
Marcello Polisi
Kareem Sow

Gander, Sow, Polisi, Ruby, on very minimal contracts would be okay as depth guys but definitely shouldn't walk into the season in starting roles and honestly it might be worth taking a risk on other players to see if you might find a gem. Bent, Schaale, Lamothe I think can play in this league but have not been up to it this year, so it depends where they fall on the salary scale and domestic status for 2 of them. Amla, I think we probably need to give him some starts up top at the end to see. Escobar I have only seen twice, but I just feel like he's very uncomfortable, we'll see if he gets up to speed in the last few games. Oxner either needs to be replaced by someone with experience or he needs to come in as the back up. Daniels I think is a dangerous player, but doesn't fit the system, id say bring him back, especially if we replace Hart. 

Goodbye
Ryan Robinson
Akeem Garcia
Mour Samb
Obeng Tabi

These guys have just not added anything, I don't feel great about having Garcia here, but he's really just been not good for a couple years now. 

Mostly a reasonable list, although I'd be swapping Schaale and Santos. Where does Alex Marshall fall in this list?

3 minutes ago, Pottsy3 said:

Mostly a reasonable list, although I'd be swapping Schaale and Santos. Where does Alex Marshall fall in this list?

Shoot I forgot to include Marshall, for me he's on the bubble. He's clearly highly rated, as he's getting called up to Jamaica, and probably has some transfer value if he can put in a good season. That's really the only reason to keep him right now though, as he takes up an international spot and probably an expensive contract. 

As far as Santos vs Schaale, I think 1st year Schaale, if he can get back to that, would be a starter, but he hasn't been on that level. Santos has been a real shutdown guy at times this year and can play left back in a pinch as well. I don't think we have good options at left back so thats where I found some extra reason to keep Santos. 

Theres no bubble for garcia marshall bent schaale...if they are taking international slots they have to be gone...they had more than enough time and didnt do enough

Oxner out

Amla is already under contract for 2023

Polisi has been very good this year and should be back

In general you shouldnt be bringing back a very large number of players from a team that finished 6-7 out of 8

I think Obeng Tabi should be kept.  In retrospect if he hadn't given up a couple of penalties early in the season I think he could have had a great year.  Fernandez has been great and I see no reason why Tabi couldn't have followed a similar pattern on the opposite side of the field.  Gander played great while he was here and that is likely what kept Tabi off the field for so long (we even tried to slot him into a forward position).  Tabi has a certain level of speed and athleticism that we shouldn't part with.

I'm in the keep Santos, part with Schaale camp.  Santos has had a better year and the guys we have out there now all look to be good depth options.

When it comes to the midfield, outside of Rampersad and Morelli it feels like anything goes.  JGL is good with the ball at his feet and taking a set piece but he doesn't distribute well offensively and I don't see much that gets me excited about the others.  I'm not saying there hasn't been some improvement but not enough that I'd be surprised if any of them are let go.

Oxner can't be back, he's just had too many howlers now.  If he does and he becomes the best goalie in the league then I'll eat my shorts... but he comes back and it's more of the same were talking about losing season ticket holders imo.  I kinda feel the same way about Hart.  If we're going to finish in the bottom half of the league each year can we at least lose a few more games 4-2, 3-2 where we score from open play and have some fun :) 

14 hours ago, Pottsy3 said:

I haven't got to watch the last few HFX matches, has Campagna been worthy of the two Team of the Week selections?

I think he’s looked really good.  It’s too bad Osaze DeRosario had to sit out last game.  I’d like to see how he does against a key striker.

1 hour ago, gwsmith63 said:

Lads/lassies, might have been posted before but couple of questions/points:

I hope everyone is safe and well during this terrible time for you all.

Was there any damage to the stadium during Hurricane Fiona?

The TV Tower had a lean to it... not sure what the situation is now.  I'm ready to put on my rain gear and see the season out under the lights!

• 2 weeks later...

According to Transfermarkt he was loaned from TFC Academy to Halifax:

https://www.transfermarkt.com/adisa-de-rosario/profil/spieler/1001937

Not sure why it would have taken so long for Stephen Hart to figure out that Oxner isn't the answer. All the gaffes have been a sign he's simply out of his depth at a fully pro level and is more cut out for the local provincial league. 

1 hour ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

According to Transfermarkt he was loaned from TFC Academy to Halifax:

https://www.transfermarkt.com/adisa-de-rosario/profil/spieler/1001937

Not sure why it would have taken so long for Stephen Hart to figure out that Oxner isn't the answer. All the gaffes have been a sign he's simply out of his depth at a fully pro level and is more cut out for the local provincial league. 

Transfermarket is know to have errors.

The HFX/CPL press release says he was signed to a Development deal.