FC Edmonton - 2022 Season Thread

Big_M

I do find Sandor annoying and over dramatic .. but I think he is right here. It's weird how the league never mentions that former FC Edmonton in the league in the write-up or match-reviews. Ottawa(Ingham, mckendry) and Calgary(Fisk, farango) and fordyce in peg primarily ... 

Edited by yothat2

Coore and Maheshe return to school, with Edmonton holding Coores rights for 2023...Maheshe was a Halifax player...Bitar decides to stay for the rest of the season and Edmonton will have his rights for next year...now the question is if there is an Edmonton team in CPL next year...

FC Edmonton’s Kairo Coore returns to university; Bitar will stay with the club for the remainder of the season

4 hours ago, StillOnFire said:

It was never on the cards, I still feel Koch did a pretty good job at holding the ship as steady as it could be in the circumstances.

Gave up over 16 points when they had the lead. Story of the season. İnexperience and brand new club of players. 

Just need some polishing on the defensive end. Not a bad season. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Just now, K Edgar said:

Hoping it does not come to this but -- Could the Edmonton franchise relocate and become the Vancouver franchise?  Or, would Vancouver owners prefer a fresh start anyway?

Its probably pointless as they really don`t have any players due to all the loans from other CPL teams.

Edited by narduch

22 minutes ago, yomurphy1 said:

For those in the know, why is FC Edmonton's financial situation different with the CPL rather than the NASL? 

If I remember correctly they closed down originally when the NASL folded but seemed to otherwise chug along for a while.

The owners got tired of losing money once they got into CPL, in a nutshell

1 hour ago, yomurphy1 said:

For those in the know, why is FC Edmonton's financial situation different with the CPL rather than the NASL? 

If I remember correctly they closed down originally when the NASL folded but seemed to otherwise chug along for a while.

From what I heard, the Fath’s had a stake in the NASL as a league so backed the investment.  Not the case in CPL.

There are a few things that don't make sense to me about the rumours of FCE closing shop.

First, all teams going into the league were vetted and they had to make a multi-year committment. So this is a league problem as well. 

Second, there is an injection of money from Mediapro and clearly we don't know where it's going. You'd think that kind of investment would also work to help bolster clubs and provide a hedge against losses. Especially in the development period we are still in. Didn't happen.

Three: Canadian Soccer Business has a failure on its hands if this comes to pass. So that is a failure that we have to attribute to the previous management, not the new boss. Oh, forgot, they had no one running the thing for more than half a year. That was a good way to ensure one of your eight teams was being properly supported by the league.

Finally, the rumoured entry fees for new clubs. If you want to call them the equivalent of buying a franchise, or something else, does not matter: the argumentation I disagree with but that many have bought here as well, is that since the league is increasing in value, anyone wanting in has to pay more. The deeper we get in, the more new teams have to pay. Which denies the basic principle that the league's value is still unstable. Yes, I am arguing entry fees to the league, what anyone pays into CSB to be a member club, have to be kept low. At least until we get to 10-12 teams, to the optimal level. 

Does the CPL really think it makes sense to argue for a new club to pay in millions when 1/8 of the league is failing? Any new addition adds more value by its mere presence (including stadium, fans, merchandising, growing the CPL market nationally, helping justifying tv contracts, making it more enticing for sponsors). FCE proves you should be facilitating new clubs and not taking this greedy attitude of "we were here first", which is a misplaced imitation of MLS.

3 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

There are a few things that don't make sense to me about the rumours of FCE closing shop.

First, all teams going into the league were vetted and they had to make a multi-year committment. So this is a league problem as well. 

Second, there is an injection of money from Mediapro and clearly we don't know where it's going. You'd think that kind of investment would also work to help bolster clubs and provide a hedge against losses. Especially in the development period we are still in. Didn't happen.

Three: Canadian Soccer Business has a failure on its hands if this comes to pass. So that is a failure that we have to attribute to the previous management, not the new boss. Oh, forgot, they had no one running the thing for more than half a year. That was a good way to ensure one of your eight teams was being properly supported by the league.

Finally, the rumoured entry fees for new clubs. If you want to call them the equivalent of buying a franchise, or something else, does not matter: the argumentation I disagree with but that many have bought here as well, is that since the league is increasing in value, anyone wanting in has to pay more. The deeper we get in, the more new teams have to pay. Which denies the basic principle that the league's value is still unstable. Yes, I am arguing entry fees to the league, what anyone pays into CSB to be a member club, have to be kept low. At least until we get to 10-12 teams, to the optimal level. 

Does the CPL really think it makes sense to argue for a new club to pay in millions when 1/8 of the league is failing? Any new addition adds more value by its mere presence (including stadium, fans, merchandising, growing the CPL market nationally, helping justifying tv contracts, making it more enticing for sponsors). FCE proves you should be facilitating new clubs and not taking this greedy attitude of "we were here first", which is a misplaced imitation of MLS.

My own theory is that CSB isn`t owned evenly by the 8 clubs. In fact possibly Edmonton owned 0% of it. Really if CSB is such a money maker that critics of the CSA are claiming, Edmonton could be surviving on that money alone.

To add to your point about adding more teams, it also means more content, especially for your broadcast partner. More teams = more matches to show.

Edited by narduch

12 minutes ago, narduch said:

My own theory is that CSB isn`t owned evenly by the 8 clubs. In fact possibly Edmonton owned 0% of it. Really if CSB is such a money maker that critics of the CSA are claiming, Edmonton could be surviving on that money alone.

To add to your point about adding more teams, it also means more content, especially for your broadcast partner. More teams = more matches to show.

I can see how since their owners pulled out, and the league was running it, then technically they might not have had a share in CSB. They were in administration or administrative receivership or similar. Still: are the other owners so short-sighted, or so pressed by other things, that they can't see that a system that floats this or that market and lets it fail won't provide a stable model for the CPL going forward? 

19 minutes ago, narduch said:

I am 110% confident that Covid has wreaked havoc with the CPL's growth plans but it is such a strange look they have in awarding the expansion teams to Saskatoon and Windsor with nothing really concrete about a timeline for them to join. Windsor more so than Saskatoon seems like a pipe dream that may come together who really knows. They also have to figure out something in Quebec and it has to be more than say Alex Bunbury claiming that he has an unnamed group ready to go in some way and where will the said team exactly be. Plus, you have York and who knows what their future holds. You want some good growth, but you also need to figure some things out first.