Pacific FC - 2022 Season

ted

I don't entirely agree with the above, since Blasco had problems getting back in after missing the bubble due to his father's death. And the team was playing well with similar mids on form. 

I have mixed feelings. The offer for Bustos and Blasco leaving for Honduras makes you realise the league is paying poorly and has trouble competing on salary. You want to see the league move players, but not because the champion can't pay its MVP a bit more to keep him. 

Then, if MacNaughton gets an MLS offer, you'd have to be pleased the league, and club, are doing their job.

Are we sure either Bustos or Blasco had offers for better money?

I feel like the Chile rumour could just be that, a rumour to create some hype and get an MLS team to bite. I don’t know what salaries are like down there, but I thought Bustos was the highest paid in CPL and he’s previously made it clear that he’s gunning for MLS. Alternatively it could be a footballing decision. He’s been in NA a long time now. 

I saw a stat that Blasco was amongst the leaders in chances created per 90 this year. His finishing was completing lacking this year but I think he still could’ve been useful going forward. The coach might have other plans though. I always got the feeling he was in it for the experience more than the money though, so I wouldn’t assume Honduras out bid us 

Edited by Aird25

I hope it goes through and hope he continues to improve. Seems a bit weird they would write Dunn off and bring him in, McNaughton is far more rash and error prone (pretty common with younger cb's) from what I have seen of them both, which is what I thought they would be wanting to get away from at TFC.  He is however a true fighter, strong voice and great coming forward though, big upside if he can step up and learn. Hugely likeable and a great potential story for the CPL and Lukas. 

On 1/6/2022 at 2:41 PM, Aird25 said:

Losing Bustos, Blasco, and MacNaughton etc. in one year would be a big blow. How does Forge seem to keep their championship teams largely together

That remains to be seen if they will now that things have opened up a bit more but I think the main reason is that they had extra money to offer players due to CONCACAF League commitments.

I also have a perception that they have more older players than PFC does with less to offer as transfers. That may not be accurate, but it feels right. :)

My understanding is that the Forge did wind up with some extra money against the cap from the Borges transfer and if the Babouli to Saudi/Qatar rumour is true may be receiving some more soon. Beyond that the Forge also have the advantage of Sigma as a feeder team. Lots of local players living within driving distance to fill out the roster who don't need accomodation (which I have read counts against the cap) and don't need to be paid a bit extra to persuade them to relocate.

Losing Campbell and Hojabrpour is big. Blasco was my favourite player, but he's a player we can get over. However, if this gives us room for the cap to expand our roster and sign some better players then it's a bonus but I am starting to worry after seeing news that MacNaughton is wanted by Toronto, we could end up with some massive gaps to fill. Potentially losing Bustos doesn't phase me too much, he's the leagues golden boy but we played better without him imo. 

I can honestly see Bustos, MacNaughton & potentially Chung going. It's frustrating to see so many gaps appearing. We need to see some strong recruitment for the 2022 season, otherwise it could end up being a wooden spoon year.

By the sounds of it Pacific are losing players due to the cap so any replacements will be downgrades on the players leaving. Add this to the fact that any new players need to integrate into a new team (Campbell and Hojabrpour have both logged some of the most minutes/games with the club) and there's definitely reason to be concerned with this off season.

9 minutes ago, davey_twelve said:

By the sounds of it Pacific are losing players due to the cap so any replacements will be downgrades on the players leaving. Add this to the fact that any new players need to integrate into a new team (Campbell and Hojabrpour have both logged some of the most minutes/games with the club) and there's definitely reason to be concerned with this off season.

That's the issue, isn't it? What players would take a small paycheck are on the same level as Campbell, goals wise? I can't imagine many players will be interested even if we are champions. 

Just now, SpursFlu said:

I guess I'm in the minority that from a Pacific perspective these are two players that won't be impossible to replace

From a Forge perspective, good additions but if this is their Champions League player push, it ain't gonna cut it

I agree in the sense that no players are impossible to replace, but Campbell has had a solid season & this year was the best yet for Hojabrpour. The move makes no sense to me, unless Forge have much more pulling power salary wise, but again, I don't understand how it could be under a cap as small as the CPL. I would've called for European or MLS moves, but either way I hope we strengthen wisely.  

2 hours ago, LifeIsABlasco said:

I agree in the sense that no players are impossible to replace, but Campbell has had a solid season & this year was the best yet for Hojabrpour. The move makes no sense to me, unless Forge have much more pulling power salary wise, but again, I don't understand how it could be under a cap as small as the CPL. I would've called for European or MLS moves, but either way I hope we strengthen wisely.  

The confusing part for me is that all of the players seem to love Kah. Why leave that support and guidance behind unless you are getting a huge pay raise or moving on to an inarguably higher level of play?

Usually when you see five top players leave (or rumoured to leave) a club within a week of each other there is something glaringly wrong behind the scenes.