Match Thread: Semi-Finals - November 21, 2021 - Forge v York United

narduch

47 minutes ago, toontownman said:

I feel like Forge and Cavalry have managed to add some really significant pieces that could be playing in the MLS, Valour too although their coaching or for whatever other reasons haven't gelled to Forge and Cavs standards. 

???

Who on Valour, aside from AJB, could be playing at a higher level? If anything, they've brought in guys that aren't good enough for CPL.

14 minutes ago, jonovision said:

???

Who on Valour, aside from AJB, could be playing at a higher level? If anything, they've brought in guys that aren't good enough for CPL.

True, that was misleading and poor wording. Should have put signings coming in having played at an MLS level or higher. I think there are few players in the CPL that could be playing consistently in the MLS on any teams, thats a different discussion though. I think there has been a lot of talent that has come in and under delivered. There have been better youth players from Sigma and Foothills there for Forge and Cavs while Valour haven't been so lucky. Some decent loans though.  

Im thinking people like:

• Bouka Moutou
  • Galhardo
  • Levis
  • Bustos
  • Aleman
  • Petrasso
  • Paolucci

They were unlucky like York losing players to visa problems. I think Valour have brought some players with good experience and high pedigree but predominantly on the downward trajectory that didn't deliver, even in season one Thomas and Murrell seemed like a fantastic partnership on paper and was tipped to be the best central defence in the league.

That was quite a day at THF, the weather was nice all day until about an hour before kick off and then the wind and rain started, a decent crowd considering this! Forge got the perfect start with a very nice early goal and looked like they may add to it if not for some great saves and timely blocks, it was game on when Petrasso levelled from a bad goalkeeping error, he had absolutely no business coming for the ball! Forge didn't seemed fazed and carried the play for most of the 2nd half then Navarro turned nicely for the winner, York played fairly well but Forge overall looked the better side and weren't going to slip on this banana peel, bring on Pacific!

Just a couple of thoughts.

Pacius has a lot of raw talent, i thought he was younger than 20, but he's still got a lot of potential and wouldn't be surprised to see him moving to a third tier top division side in Europe, although may not initialy be in the first team straight away. But young Canadian players are in right now, with teams looking to discover the next Davies or David.

York did well to make the playoffs. I thought Ingham was solid this match, despite letting in 3 goals, I still consider him to be one of the best keepers in the league.  But I worry for them in the long term.

It will be interesting to see if what happens to Borges. Better than the CanPL, but not quite good enough for the Belgian league. He seems to enjoy playing for Forge though.

Forge are a cut above the CanPL, have a solid base of players and less movement than other teams in the league, which is only good for the team.

On 11/21/2021 at 5:21 PM, SoccMan said:

Brennan needs to go , you are a team in the biggest city in the country and you barely make the playoffs in your third season? This team should be dominating with the talent that surrounds that team.

On balance, it is fair to say that Canada has the talent. Perhaps where we are at fault is team assembly and coaching. The talent is there and York is a supreme example of screwing it up. Whether that is a purely Brennan factor at this team, I am not one to know.