WCQ: Canada vs Mexico - Tuesday, Nov 16, 9pm EST / 6pm Pacific - Edmonton

World Cup Qualifiers - Matchday 8
Canada vs Mexico
Tuesday, November 16 2021
9pm EST / 6pm Pacific / 7pm Mountain
Commonwealth Stadium, Edmonton
Online Broadcast: ONESoccer
TV Broadcast:

Sportsnet Pacific/Ontario/East (not West as the Edmonton Oilers will be on that channel) (EN)
Telus Optik TV Channel 980 (EN)
RDS INFO [RDS2 will only join the feed once the Ottawa Senators match is completed] (FR)

Referee: TBD ???

The weather:
Something between -10°C and -6°C. Maybe some light snow.
A proper cold one.

Canada Squad:
https://canadasoccer.com/news/canada-soccer-announces-fifa-world-cup-qualifiers-squad-for-crucial-november-matches/
As far as we are aware everyone in the squad is healthy.

If Atiba Hutchinson sees the pitch, he will have the #CanMNT caps record.

Canadian players that are on a yellow card (no players are suspended) :
Adekugbe
Brym
Eustáquio
Kaye
Laryea
Piette
Vitória

---

The Mexico Squad:
https://miseleccion.mx/noticias/3761/Convocatoria%20de%20la%20Selecci%C3%B3n%20Nacional%20de%20M%C3%A9xico%20para%20eliminatoria%20de%20noviembre
26 players.
No injuries as far as I am aware

Mexican players that are on a yellow card (no players are suspended) :
Alexis Vega
Jesus Gallardo
Jesus Corona
Luis Romo
Luis Rodríguez
Hector Moreno
Hirving Lozano
Raul Jimenez

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille

I'm going to repost this question from another thread. With potential snow and double-digit negatives, Tuesday's game is going to have a very different look to tonight's given the forecast. Anything's possible, including a Canada win. 

That said, does anyone know if there is a specific threshold for a match to be abandoned due to weather?

10 minutes ago, DeRo_Is_King said:

I'm going to repost this question from another thread. With potential snow and double-digit negatives, Tuesday's game is going to have a very different look to tonight's given the forecast. Anything's possible, including a Canada win. 

That said, does anyone know if there is a specific threshold for a match to be abandoned due to weather?

If they let that US-CR game go with about 6 inches of snow, I bet we can talk them into letting almost anything go.  

4 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

If they let that US-CR game go with about 6 inches of snow, I bet we can talk them into letting almost anything go.  

Granted it was a blizzard, but the temperature for that game was minus-2.

From the bit of research I've done, minus-10 isn't unheard of but it definitely seems on the extreme end of cold for an outdoor game of footy. 

The worst thing, if you're a Mexican, isn't that it's going to be somewhere between -3 and -10 degrees at kick off, it's that it's probably going to snow on Monday during their one chance to train at Commonwealth before the game. They're not going to be happy at all with Canadian hospitality in 2021.

https://weather.gc.ca/city/pages/ab-50_metric_e.html

41 minutes ago, SthMelbRed said:

The worst thing, if you're a Mexican, isn't that it's going to be somewhere between -3 and -10 degrees at kick off, it's that it's probably going to snow on Monday during their one chance to train at Commonwealth before the game. They're not going to be happy at all with Canadian hospitality in 2021.

https://weather.gc.ca/city/pages/ab-50_metric_e.html

Hopefully gives us an advantage 

6 hours ago, DeRo_Is_King said:

I did look. A Europa League match Rosenberg vs Bayer Leverkusen played in Trondheim in 2010 was - 14 at kickoff. They played. 

Seems TFC played at -8 in Colorado a few years ago, concacaf CL, think I read February 2018. Did Osorio play that day? Was 3 degrees Fahrenheit. At least half a dozen MLS matches have been below zero. 

This is a risky match for us. For once, Mr Herdman, could your team start well and get ahead to defend a result? Poor weather will make this match progressively harder. Herman’s tactical and mentality errors (yes, because only being reactive is poor psychological preparation) take away from us our most potent weapon: countering an intensely attacking rival.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

36 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I did look. A Europa League match Rosenberg vs Bayer Leverkusen played in Trondheim in 2010 was - 14 at kickoff. They played. 

Seems TFC played at -8 in Colorado a few years ago, concacaf CL, think I read February 2018. Did Osorio play that day? Was 3 degrees Fahrenheit. At least half a dozen MLS matches have been below zero. 

This is a risky match for us. For once, Mr Herdman, could your team start well and get ahead to defend a result? Poor weather will make this match progressively harder. Herman’s tactical and mentality errors (yes, because only being reactive is poor psychological preparation) take away from us our most potent weapon: countering an intensely attacking rival.

According to a recent tsn promo it was -16 for that tfc Colorado game, and Osorio scored in that one. 

Everyone says the Mexico win vs USA hurts us because they will be hungry , have more pressure to win and play more on the front foot. 

Mexico, please play that way ^ and enjoy our pace on the wings and trying to hold possession while passing with a cold ball that can easily get stuck in the turf.

Edited by apbsmith

The one good thing about the pitch now is that Canada has had 90 minutes of experience on it.  Mexico most definitely has not.

I am concerned about the cold.  I remember going to the MLS Cup final 2016 and the extreme cold did act as a defender against Toronto who were clearly the more talented team.  It is Mexico though; maybe their form will be more affected?  

Won't be surprised if we get the ol' 0-0 for this one.

25 minutes ago, Approve My Account Pls said:

Not to look too far ahead, but, do we go tactical Yellows for any non-European based guy (or any guy) looking ahead to Vancouver vs US?

I’m sure we’ll get our share of yellows - after their loss last night it’s desperate times for Mexico.  It’s a joke that FIFA hasn’t announce the ref as of yet - must be sure to reassess all that needs to be done ahead of this next round to ensure Mexico and US have a more comfortable time.  Whoever it is, is probably on an early afternoon call with Mexican officials on how the payments will be arranged if things go as planned.

Edited by TOcanadafan

3 hours ago, apbsmith said:

Everyone says the Mexico win vs USA hurts us because they will be hungry , have more pressure to win and play more on the front foot. 

Mexico, please play that way ^ and enjoy our pace on the wings and trying to hold possession while passing with a cold ball that can easily get stuck in the turf.

Pressure can lead teams to crumble just as much it can cause a team to raise their level.  We have a great club.  They are coming into our house in elements that are going to be extremely difficult on a pitch that takes some getting used to and we've now had a full week to prepare.  They will come in bitching and moaning about the surface and the elemets.

I think we're taking Mexico down.  I'm predicting a 6 point window!

3 hours ago, Gian-Luca said:

I’d almost be tempted to just play hoof ball up the field to Cavallini and Larin and let them boss the Mexican defenders off the ball to get a goal in this one with either the turf or the snow on the turf being what it will be

I would like to see the young Ugbo get the start ahead Cavallini.  He's an in-form guy at the moment with a more varied skillset.  They can bring on Cavallini in the final ten, if and as needed.

I wonder if they go 3-5-2 and an extra central mid for this one?

Cavallini should not see the field under any circumstances right now. Whitecaps fans please back me up on this. He can barely get onto the field in MLS, still looks injured and painfully slow when he gets 5 minutes, gives up on plays prematurely, commits dumb fouls... and some people want to start him in -10C weather against Mexico? 

Schitts Creek No GIF by CBC

David, Larin and Ugbo have 4 days to recover. They should all be fully ready to go. 

Striker depth chart for Tuesday:

David  Larin

Ugbo

(Buchanan)

(Davies)

(Millar)

(Wotherspoon)

(Idk like Cornelius or something. At least he’s big and reasonably mobile)

Cavallini, but only to waste the time it would take to sub him in.