Comparison MLS & CPL

Jamal

2 minutes ago, yellowsweatygorilla said:

These numbers are from my discussions with players and the union.  Even the league released numbers showing majority of the teams spending below cap backs that up.

I completely agree that salary does not necessarily reflect ability or potential, but it does mean a challenge for retaining players reaching their prime (24-29 years old).

I am not going to recycle an argument about whether CPL is capable or should be paying higher wages at this moment, but I do think it's somewhat obvious that until it can compete on the salary front with MLS, it's going to lag behind. And maybe that's ok - but that wasn't what the OP was asking.

The only salary numbers I've seen reported said the league average was 40k, and the league minimum (not including other compensation) was 22k. That's a long way off from most CPL players earning around the league minimum of $22,000 a year. 

4 minutes ago, yellowsweatygorilla said:

Fair - should maybe rephrase as higher reputation player coming from MLS.

But the other three players were clear starters - and we have acclaimed coaches like Isacco directly stating that the biggest challenge to the league's development of players is retention - with a direct correlation to the inability of players to live off their wages. He specifically spoke of Carreiro earning almost double his pay entry level elsewhere.

Is it really true though? Virtually every player that's shown they deserve to be at this level is still in the league, including the most likely transfer targets. Dylan Carreiro hadn't been a professional for several years prior to CPL starting. He tried to make it in several countries but he just wasn't quite there. 

3 minutes ago, Aird25 said:

The only salary numbers I've seen reported said the league average was 40k, and the league minimum (not including other compensation) was 22k. That's a long way off from most CPL players earning around the league minimum of $22,000 a year. 

Is it really true though? Virtually every player that's shown they deserve to be at this level is still in the league, including the most likely transfer targets. Dylan Carreiro hadn't been a professional for several years prior to CPL starting. He tried to make it in several countries but he just wasn't quite there. 

It's fair to take what I have to say with a grain of salt since you don't know me, but having interviewed a whole bunch of players and the union for an article at the start of the year, the league claim of $40k average is wrong. The number wouldn't even make sense if every team was spending to the 2019 cap of $750k (the mean would be $32k), and like I said, in the league's own released numbers (which includes bonuses and housing). https://canpl.ca/article/exclusive-director-of-football-oliver-gage-reviews-cpl-compensation-approaches Now one counter point would be that these are 2019 numbers, and 2021 involved significant salary increases across the board .. yet I've had no player validate that had happened. Instead, there seems to be a greater reliance on developmental contracts that aren't bound to the minimum salary rule. That is closer to 2019, when I've spoken to players earning less than $10k for the entire season.

---

Gasporotto was a key figure in our backline and was just hitting his prime. Carreiro was highly rated by many coaches and there was a verbal agreement to come to York until that public spat. Given talent/potential can be subjective, so no point debating that. But I do want the league to be able to provide sustainable careers until the usual retirement age of 30s, it's not quite there yet.

2 hours ago, yellowsweatygorilla said:

It's fair to take what I have to say with a grain of salt since you don't know me, but having interviewed a whole bunch of players and the union for an article at the start of the year, the league claim of $40k average is wrong. The number wouldn't even make sense if every team was spending to the 2019 cap of $750k (the mean would be $32k), and like I said, in the league's own released numbers (which includes bonuses and housing). https://canpl.ca/article/exclusive-director-of-football-oliver-gage-reviews-cpl-compensation-approaches Now one counter point would be that these are 2019 numbers, and 2021 involved significant salary increases across the board .. yet I've had no player validate that had happened. Instead, there seems to be a greater reliance on developmental contracts that aren't bound to the minimum salary rule. That is closer to 2019, when I've spoken to players earning less than $10k for the entire season.

---

Gasporotto was a key figure in our backline and was just hitting his prime. Carreiro was highly rated by many coaches and there was a verbal agreement to come to York until that public spat. Given talent/potential can be subjective, so no point debating that. But I do want the league to be able to provide sustainable careers until the usual retirement age of 30s, it's not quite there yet.

Deleted

Edited by Aird25