WCQ: Third Round - Window 3 (November 12-16, 2021)

dyslexic nam

Something that may have been missed in the fracas yesterday is that Annibal Godoy picked up a 95th minute yellow for Panama that will keep him out of their next game away to Honduras. Isn’t that just so unfortunate? 😈 

All suspensions for matchday 7:

Mario Jacobo (El Salvador)

Annibal Godoy (Panama)

Nestor Araujo (Mexico)

Possibly suspended for matchday 7 (red card, second match):

Narcisso Orellano (El Salvador)

Maynor Figueroa (Honduras)

Is there a CONCACAF resource for tracking suspensions? I just threw my own together last night since I couldn’t sleep.

FE07B493-CBEC-4D69-BFF9-F7693ADCE156.png

C5C8D5C3-ECA6-410A-A035-2A689E337C22.png

143B5BB9-3F7C-4E3A-88D3-2DC35DD5FEBB.png

Before this devolves into infighting, can we drop the "my-city-is-more-Canadian-than-yours" argument and just support this team as a collective? 

I am from Montreal, have lived in Toronto and currently reside in Saskatchewan. Every place has its problems and benefits. We're here to support Canada. 

3 minutes ago, DeRo_Is_King said:

Before this devolves into infighting, can we drop the "my-city-is-more-Canadian-than-yours" argument and just support this team as a collective? 

I am from Montreal, have lived in Toronto and currently reside in Saskatchewan. Every place has its problems and benefits. We're here to support Canada. 

Condolences 

Great opportunity to create space from the top 4 and bottom 4. If we somehow manage 6 points, it will make navigating the bags of piss in later windows easier to deal with lol. 

Wonder how that Keylor Navas injury will development. Not sure how serious it is but have seen some stuff on twitter possibly suggesting it is more of a longer term injury? Some sort of thigh muscle injury? Would be massive for us if he is out. 

Imagine having 13 points in the bank after the home match against Costa Rica. 😀 We could be 7 points clear of Costa Rica with half the Octagonal done.

I like that 4th to 7th is only separated by 3 points right now. It keeps all of those teams competitive for a longer period. If you're only 1 win away from the intercontinental playoff spot, that's all the motivation you need to keep trying to take points off each other.

So excited for the November window already. I like our chances against Costa Rica at home, and then we have the chance at another statement result. The boys will be pumped to deliver in Edmonton! 💪

49 minutes ago, footballfreak said:

Something that may have been missed in the fracas yesterday is that Annibal Godoy picked up a 95th minute yellow for Panama that will keep him out of their next game away to Honduras. Isn’t that just so unfortunate? 😈 

All suspensions for matchday 7:

Mario Jacobo (El Salvador)

Annibal Godoy (Panama)

Nestor Araujo (Mexico)

Possibly suspended for matchday 7 (red card, second match):

Narcisso Orellano (El Salvador)

Maynor Figueroa (Honduras)

Is there a CONCACAF resource for tracking suspensions? I just threw my own together last night since I couldn’t sleep.

FE07B493-CBEC-4D69-BFF9-F7693ADCE156.png

C5C8D5C3-ECA6-410A-A035-2A689E337C22.png

143B5BB9-3F7C-4E3A-88D3-2DC35DD5FEBB.png

Was the Mexican red card last night a straight red or was it just a second yellow in the game?   

No dea how we approach the Mexico home game in this window.  I suspect it will depend on part on the result of CR game.  If we grab 3 points from CR, maybe a single point against Mexico would be “success” (I would be fam happy with 4 points from this window).  

But in the first game, I think we go out on the front foot.  Set up to attack on something like a 3-5-2 if the personnel are available and healthy, and look to use our speed to destroy them.  If Panama couldn’t handle us rampaging forward, I am thinking a creaky CR defence will be overwhelmed.  Not saying we should be naive but grabbing that 3 PTs will be huge so I think we need to press and harass them, and overwhelm them with our speed.   

1) Thankfully for the players, this is a two match window with no travel. The first match is on a Friday, not a Thursday.

2) The last day of the MLS regular season is on a Sunday (November 7th), not the Saturday. Slightly unfortunate.

3) The MLS playoffs start after the window but for certain of our players that likely won't matter.

https://www.mlssoccer.com/news/mls-announces-audi-2021-mls-cup-playoffs-schedule

With possible apologies to TFC fans, Osorio and Laryea won't need to worry about being fit and recovery after these WCQing matches. Vancouver and Montreal may also find themselves in similar situations.

Pasher and Houston actually don't play on the last matchday (there are 27 MLS teams) and will end his season on November 3rd, so if he is fit it means we can call him instead of Brym. He will be very well rested!

4) Bayern, Besiktas, Lille, Moreirense, Panetolikos, St Johnstone and Reading all play on the Saturday (Nov 6th). 

Pacos, Hatayspor, Basel & Rangers play on the Sunday (November 7th). Red Star Belgrade likely will too (Europa League)

The schedule for the Suwon Samsung Bluewings is still TBD.

Sadly, Kennedy may not be fit in time for an Alberta homecoming.

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille

2 hours ago, Shway said:

Kinda how a lot Canadians view Montrealers no? 

I kid, I kid. 

1 hour ago, Shway said:

Being from Toronto you would be naive to not know that. It's just funny that it's coming from someone from Montreal. 

But what are we talkin bout heyea 

You're the one that started this and I'm naive. Boy, talk about a lack of awareness.

1 hour ago, frmr said:

I'm not a very good person to ask, I'm not really in touch with the plights of the west. I'm pretty sure the Montreal thing has to do with being French, entitled and something something equalization payments. The Toronto thing has to do with being out of touch and less "Canadian" than the rest of the country, while simultaneously claiming to be where Canada begins and ends. Personally I couldn't care less. Until someone threatens my regional identity, then I will become passionately enraged.

I hope the irony in your post didn't escape your notice.

7 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

Does anyone know who we have on one card for this window?  I am not aware of any suspensions. 

I think Mexico got two single yellows and a double yellow (red) last night against ES.  Not sure what they had going into that one.  

CR didn’t get any cards last night, but may have had some coming in.  

Is there a place to easily find this information? 

With Canada not getting any last night, I know Samuel Piette is the only CDN player to pick one up against Jamaica so he is one away from suspension. 

Looking at the schedule and and the table... we might actually need a win against BOTH Costa Rica AND Mexico in November in order to stay ahead of Panama.

Panama is emerging as our clearest challenger for a top 3 spot, and they play the two teams emerging as the worst in the group. Honduras are looking uncharacteristically beatable at home, and the Canal Boys should due the business against El Salvador, so we might need all 6 points to stay ahead of them.

24 minutes ago, Sal333 said:

You're the one that started this and I'm naive. Boy, talk about a lack of awareness.

I did say "I kid, I kid" ...but you're pride (rightfully so) was offended - so you defended it by saying something as a fact when I was only joking.

I didn't call YOU naive but stated that 

Being from Toronto you would be naive to not know that. It's just funny that it's coming from someone from Montreal. 

In reference to a gentleman who said:

Everything west of northern Ontario has similar views of both Montreal and Toronto, but for different reasons.

Meaning I'm aware people from "west of Northern Ontario" have a stigma about people from Toronto, and if you're from Toronto and haven't heard that you are naive....but now I'll say you seem to be naive of hearing that about Montrealers. 

But don't get in your feelings man, it's just a little banter/joke. If you take offence to being grouped into being judged based off millions of people....I'll pray for you. 

2 minutes ago, Shway said:

I did say "I kid, I kid" ...but you're pride (rightfully so) was offended - so you defended it by saying something as a fact when I was only joking.

I didn't call YOU naive but stated that 

In reference to a gentleman who said:

Meaning I'm aware people from "west of Northern Ontario" have a stigma about people from Toronto, and if you're from Toronto and haven't heard that you are naive....but now I'll say you seem to be naive of hearing that about Montrealers. 

But don't get in your feelings man, it's just a little banter/joke. If you take offence to being grouped into being judged based off millions of people....I'll pray for you. 

It is going to be a long month between windows...