WCQ: Third Round - Window 3 (November 12-16, 2021)

dyslexic nam

People talking about a chippy Mexico vs USA game got me curious. I checked the last 4 games they have played against each other. Mexico got 4, 3, 3, and 0 yellows in those games (that's not in order). 2 or 3 of those yellows came in extra time, but these also weren't World Cup Qualifiers (Nations League, Gold Cup, and I think a couple friendlies).

My Spanish is pretty much nonexistent, but from what I can gather Panama just received a $20.5K fine for a pitch invasion during the El Salvador game. Fun fact which I did not know is that the Panamanian currency is pegged 1:1 to the USD. Not a huge story for now, but it certainly makes Panama more likely to be handed a fan ban if there are any more problems.

11 minutes ago, Floortom said:

Looks like Antonio will be in the next window for Jamaica. West Ham is even sending its top team Dr. along with him for the trip. 

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football/16461304/west-ham-michail-antonio-doctor-hamstring-jamaica/

Interesting development considering the US plays then in Jamaica.  I think I am still on the side that wants everyone to lose to Mexico and the US to minimize the other points floating around out there but the US is far from in the clear.  Their next window is hosting Mexico and away to Jamaica so only getting a point or two would sure make things interesting heading into the final 2 windows.  

Edited by dyslexic nam

8 minutes ago, Floortom said:

I almost feel bad for Jamaica. No CONCACAF team has been more hampered by restrictions in the Ocho then them....the absences, no fans, injuries, etc. 

Ridiculous decision that's obviously out of their control, but with the JFA being a corrupt, dysfunctional joke, this may not be the biggest concern to the average Jamaican fan.

Edited by Obinna

1 hour ago, Floortom said:

I almost feel bad for Jamaica. No CONCACAF team has been more hampered by restrictions in the Ocho then them....the absences, no fans, injuries, etc. 

It really is not surprising to me, even if the case levels are not exploding some of these island nations do not have the greatest handle on things. Some of that is obviously because the government has mishandled things in dealing with the pandemic. I do feel for the Jamaica fans and especially the players for not getting the total experience. 

I'm leaning towards Mexico beating the US, we beat CR, and then Mexico comes to the winterfest with their foot off the gas while we are on a high-- and the US has to sweat it in Kingston. 

That said, for me, besides our need to get 3 at least and maybe 4 points, the most important thing is what Panama does in this window.

On 10/21/2021 at 3:01 PM, narduch said:

He also did a tweet on the long range forecast.

Better hit up your local Mark's and stock up on long John's if your going....

We are such assholes. 

Seriously, at that temperature, it's a scoreless draw and if you can squeeze in a goal you defend it like mad. I mean, not even our guys can handle that, and besides, it's dangerous AF.

On 10/14/2021 at 1:48 PM, footballfreak said:

since I couldn’t sleep

Mexican players on a yellow 

- Alexis Vega

- Jesus Gallardo

- Jesus Corona

- Hector Moreno

- Hirving Lozano

- Raul Jimenez

- Nestor Araujo (I think... he got a yellow BEFORE he got a direct red card later that match, so although he is suspended for the next match vs the USA, I think the yellow stays on the books)

Edson Alvarez and Cesar Montes are NOT currently on yellows as they served their suspensions already from 2 yellows in two seperate matches.

Hopefully all 6 of those first names pick up a yellow vs the USA :D

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille

Just now, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

- Alexis Vega

- Jesus Gallardo

- Jesus Corona

- Hector Moreno

- Hirving Lozano

- Raul Jimenez

- Nestor Araujo (I think... he got a yellow BEFORE he got a direct red card later that match, so although he is suspended for the next match vs the USA, I think the yellow stays on the books)

Edson Alvarez and Cesar Montes are NOT currently on yellows as they served their suspensions already from 2 yellows in two seperate matches.

Hopefully all 6 of those first names pick up a yellow :D

The way Gallardo has been playing we probably want him on the field :)

Atiba trained with the first team for the first time in 3 weeks today. He might not play on Saturday but might be available after that. Besiktas have one Champions league match and two league matches before the International Break.  Will be interesting to see if he makes himself available and does get selected given his injury issues and age. 

Edited by Floortom

19 hours ago, Floortom said:

It looks like the Jamaican authorities changed their minds last night!

5000 fans.

https://jamaica-gleaner.com/article/sports/20211028/spectators-allowed-jamaicas-fifa-world-cup-qualifier-against-usa

21 hours ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

- Alexis Vega

- Jesus Gallardo

- Jesus Corona

- Hector Moreno

- Hirving Lozano

- Raul Jimenez

Hopefully all 6 of those first names pick up a yellow vs the USA :D

Are you sure about Araujo’s red card? Fotmob and CONCACAF match trackers both list it as a second yellow and and the referee in the highlights appears to quickly produce a yellow and then a red. FIFA has it as a red, but again that’s a match tracker not the official match report.

If anyone spots errors in my card tracker let me know and I’ll update it.

13 hours ago, footballfreak said:

Are you sure about Araujo’s red card? Fotmob and CONCACAF match trackers both list it as a second yellow and and the referee in the highlights appears to quickly produce a yellow and then a red. FIFA has it as a red, but again that’s a match tracker not the official match report.

Reports I've read say he was yellowed in 56 and 67. 

Araujo, who plays in Spain, has a tendency to get absurd cards, and reds. He has lost his starting spot at Celta Vigo in the last few weeks. 

Fine for me if he plays, not game fit, and with a loose screw, in Edmonton.

4 hours ago, footballfreak said:

It may be a second yellow. I looked on FIFA.com and a highlights vid on YouTube and neither mentioned that it was a second yellow - I'm not sure tbh.