Match Thread: October 11, 2021 - Valour v Forge

narduch

Well that was fun.  

Didn't know what the turn out was going to be like today, Thanksgiving Monday and all and a few Vs who're are Valour regulars already jetting out to Toronto, but was an average crowd today.  Mid 2,000s I'd say.  Really were getting into it as the match got on to, they finally had reason to.

Repeated complaint about Valour's play for much of the season has been an unwillingness to "punch through" or go direct.  That and not using the field, play was way too narrow too often.  This has been improving and this afternoon probably the best improvement in that regard so far. 

Have to say Bekker is playing below his station.  He's had a fantastic 2021, is clearly enjoying himself, and I'd suppose if he'd want to at this stage of his life could move on from CPL.  Understand why he wouldn't, but still.  There it is.

Don't know how well it showed on TV but Cisse absolutely rattled the frame there in the 1st half.  Felt it way up to 104.  Ka-bang!

Navarro is a twat.  Sorry.  That's unfair.  Navarro plays like a twat.

Forgeskins rattled by a very game Valour side today.  That was clear to everyone but the officiating crew it seems.....

I've acussed Levis of being made of glass but he's hanging in there and getting stronger by the match.  In a victory that featured 3 dfferent goal scorers for the home side he still made a strong argument for MoTM.  Pity for him both Akio and Dyer made stronger arguments. 

Speaking of players who're enjoying themselves, one Kiwi-man I know is these days.  Partnering with Akio and playing around there strengths will do that. 

Akio MoTM just for that 70 yard gallop complete with a last defender nutmeg and a silky finish.  Did a ton besides but that was as grand a goal as we've seen in that building. 

Cheers.  We're not dead yet!

Just wondering I saw the university of Manitoba logos behind the net I’m assuming that’s for the university’s pointy ball team no? Does the university’s soccer team play there too? Moreover , what kind of crowds does the University’s pointy ball team get at their games , must get good crowds to have their logo stay on the turf during a CPL game .

5 minutes ago, SoccMan said:

Just wondering I saw the university of Manitoba logos behind the net I’m assuming that’s for the university’s pointy ball team no? Does the university’s soccer team play there too? Moreover , what kind of crowds does the University’s pointy ball team get at their games , must get good crowds to have their logo stay on the turf during a CPL game .

The soccer team (women's only) does not play at the IG Field, but on one of the fields at the soccer complex nearby. The men's football team does. I think the logo has more to do with the fact that the stadium is on the university campus and its position there was used to leverage government funding that would not have been available had it been built elsewhere. 

There were 2208 in attendance at the one Bisons football home game so far in 2021. I think typical crowds are smaller.

Just now, jonovision said:

The soccer team (women's only) does not play at the IG Field, but on one of the fields at the soccer complex nearby. The men's football team does. I think the logo has more to do with the fact that the stadium is on the university campus and its position there was used to leverage government funding that would not have been available had it been built elsewhere. 

There were 2208 in attendance at the one Bisons football home game so far in 2021. I think typical crowds are smaller.

Ok cool thanks oh yes I forgot that stadium was a collaboration thing with the university. Well that university crowd even at 2000 is better than any U of T or York pointy ball crowd , which are lucky to get even family and friends attend here in Toronto .