Attending November Window in Edmonton

Club Linesman

For those traveling to Edmonton. I looked into getting downtown from the airport. Taking the 747 bus, which costs $5 to Century Park Transit Centre and from there taking the LRT Capital Line to the downtown area. The Stadium stop is also on the Capital Line. I am staying at the Holiday Inn Express right downtown which is a about 5 minute walk from the Bay/Enterprise LRT stop. 

https://flyeia.com/wp-content/uploads/EIA_Route_747_ETS_schedule.pdf

https://www.edmonton.ca/ets/lrt-station-locations

An Uber would cost about $45-50 from the airport to the downtown core. I am landing in Edmonton at 9:30 am local on the day of the Mexico game on the Swoop Flight from Toronto. 

54 minutes ago, Razcal said:

Will they lay grass down?

I can't imagine they want to play on that shitty turf.

JH specifically mentioned playing in a colder environment, a different time-zone, AND a turf field are factors they're hoping throw the other teams off.

18 hours ago, prairiecanuck said:

The best stadium would be New Mosaic in Regina.  The field is sunk down sheltered from the elements. You're right on top of the action.  Great sight lines, a massive jumbotron.  The facilities are also the best for the players.  It only holds 34k though.  I can only dream of a game being so close to where I live.  Maybe one day they will host a friendly there!

It would be the best artificial turf stadium in Canada for soccer but unfortunately the football and soccer lines are permanent and cannot be removed.  Maybe the next iteration of the artificial turf installed there might be different. 

That surface, FieldTurf Revolution 360, which most major stadiums in Canada have (and was state of the art) is about 5 years old. 

All of the major stadiums have FIFA 2 star rated surfaces, (the highest rating).  I find most surfaces in Canada are replaced after about 8 years even though they are rated to be used much longer. Usually some big event is the impetus to renew the field.

Edited by Joe MacCarthy

1 hour ago, Joe MacCarthy said:

It would be the best artificial turf stadium in Canada for soccer but unfortunately the football and soccer lines are permanent and cannot be removed.  Maybe the next iteration of the artificial turf installed there might be different. 

That surface, FieldTurf Revolution 360, which most major stadiums in Canada have (and was state of the art) is about 5 years old. 

All of the major stadiums have FIFA 2 star rated surfaces, (the highest rating).  I find most surfaces in Canada are replaced after about 8 years even though they are rated to be used much longer. Usually some big event is the impetus to renew the field.

Is that the same stuff they have in Hamilton/Winnipeg? Because after watching teams play Valor/Forge on that surface... it's just gross.

Edited by Razcal

30 minutes ago, EJsens1 said:

I’m curious if the ticket prices will go up or how they will figure this out.  Bigger venue obviously.  They’d be dumb to jack up the prices for this window.  I can see them going up in windows 4 and 5, especially if we are getting closer to looking like we could qualify 

Ticket prices were already high in Toronto, and that was for a stadium with ~25K fewer seats (although rent at BMO Field is steeply discounted for the CSA). I don't see prices climbing with bigger venues, even with the increased overhead involved in playing at Commonwealth and BC Place.

13 minutes ago, RS said:

Ticket prices were already high in Toronto, and that was for a stadium with ~25K fewer seats (although rent at BMO Field is steeply discounted for the CSA). I don't see prices climbing with bigger venues, even with the increased overhead involved in playing at Commonwealth and BC Place.

I thought the prices in Toronto were reasonable.  Maybe that’s because I was prepared to pay within reason but I’ve seen worse for sure.  We all have.

I found after the first window, it was good to have it end after a week of stress/excitement watching the games.  Calm down. Reset.  Then in about 2 weeks feel it start to ramp up again.  Rinse and repeat between these windows I’m sure.  The gaps between the 3rd and 4th window and 4th to 5th are gonna feel like an eternity. 

3 hours ago, EJsens1 said:

I found after the first window, it was good to have it end after a week of stress/excitement watching the games.  Calm down. Reset.  Then in about 2 weeks feel it start to ramp up again.  Rinse and repeat between these windows I’m sure.  The gaps between the 3rd and 4th window and 4th to 5th are gonna feel like an eternity.

Herdman has a press conference scheduled for tomorrow to start pushing the Edmonton games, so there's no "reset" time between windows coming from the CSA. It almost feels like a club schedule given the frequency of games.

1 minute ago, RS said:

Herdman has a press conference scheduled or tomorrow to start pushing the Edmonton games, so there's no "reset" time between windows coming from the CSA. It almost feels like a club schedule given the frequency of games.

I think they need to use last game’s buzz ASAP to sell tickets. Also, 3ish weeks really isn’t much time to sell a standalone event. Hope to see a good response from the casuals!

1 hour ago, Razcal said:

Is that the same stuff they have in Hamilton/Winnipeg? Because after watching teams play Valor/Forge on that surface... it's just gross.

Don't know what the schedule is but it's due and I suspect it will be re-layed with one eye squinting in Valour's direction.  Scrubbing and repainting lines has to take its toll, as much as overuse maybe.

That said, if I had my way they'd incorporate moving the soccer pitch right up to the east end stand.  Would leave a big open patch behind the west goal sure but would be fantastic having a close stand behind that east goal.  Visiting teams would hate it.

Can only dream...

2 hours ago, Ngravs said:

I think they need to use last game’s buzz ASAP to sell tickets. Also, 3ish weeks really isn’t much time to sell a standalone event. Hope to see a good response from the casuals!

Yeah I'm not sure why they wait to put the tickets on sale, especially this time around with Davies name having been in the news cycle for multiple days without fail... in today's 24hrs news cycle thats quite a feat for any sport. But even with the Panama game there was a decent gap between the end of the 1st window and those going on sale...

5 hours ago, Joe MacCarthy said:

Fifa 2 star rated surfaces are those that have actually underwent testing to achieve that designation.  Portland claims to have the best turf in the MLS and they use FieldTurf Revolution 360.  You're not wrong about the lines though.  They were sown in at Mosaic, and you really can't get rid of them.  Painting over them doesn't really work.  When Valencia and the Cosmos played a friendly there the football lines were noticeable.  When Mosaic does replace the turf, I hope the city keeps an eye towards potentially getting soccer games there.  It's a great stadium, but the sown in lines don't work for soccer.

1 hour ago, Shway said:

I predict tickets will go on sale immediately after the women’s homecoming series.

Don’t want to have the CWNT tweeting anything condescending. 

There’s zero chance they’re waiting until the 26th or 27th to start selling. 

Herdman’s doing a press conference about this tomorrow.

On 10/18/2021 at 12:24 AM, Cblake said:

An an example the track and slope of the stands at the Olympic Stadium in London makes it the worst place to watch a premier league match. Went to a West Ham game there, will never go back. 

West Ham's first season at London Stadium: a 'terrible' experience or a  step forward? | West Ham United | The Guardian

Lol. I am a season ticket holder in the Bobby Moore Lower (behind the goal). It is terrible especially after a few years of having a seat behind the goal at Upton Park. They have squared off the ends for this season, a bit better, but still not great. 

38 minutes ago, Greatest Cockney Rip Off said:

Lol. I am a season ticket holder in the Bobby Moore Lower (behind the goal). It is terrible especially after a few years of having a seat behind the goal at Upton Park. They have squared off the ends for this season, a bit better, but still not great. 

Having been to Upton Park once, and had a great time at the Boleyn Tavern, I would totally concur, that was a special place. A real football ground.