Attending November Window in Edmonton

Club Linesman

44 minutes ago, Cblake said:

When is last call in Alberta, is it still early? I am landing from Toronto on the Tuesday for the Mexico at 9:30 am, guess straight to the bar , when is first call?

Restaurants/Bars participating in the "vaccine passport" program have no restrictions, so last call is back to normal...1:30AMish, with closing time at 2, so make sure you have your proof of vax sorted. 

First call at 10AM so you should be good. 

4 minutes ago, ESG Shawn said:

Restaurants/Bars participating in the "vaccine passport" program have no restrictions, so last call is back to normal...1:30AMish, with closing time at 2, so make sure you have your proof of vax sorted. 

First call at 10AM so you should be good. 

Thank you, much appreciated, the earlier I can enjoy a beer after landing, the better. Cheers 

What are people thinking regarding the kickoff times for the games in Edmonton, will they be positioned for east tv with a say 5-6 pm local time kickoff? That would be nice considered the possible weather, the earlier the better in my eyes, will be interesting to see what considerations prevail in picking it.

So it looks like my trip to Edmonton will now result in at least 7 people going to the game (me, the person I am staying with, her 2 kids, a friend traveling from BC and another couple coming from SK).  Still working on my wife to make 8 but there are logistical challenges.  

The plan is to get everyone into the supporters section(s) to give them the full experience - any idea if we would ever run out of ticket allocation for those sections?  I plan to buy them early but this will be my first time buying tickets this cycle.  

7 hours ago, Cblake said:

What are people thinking regarding the kickoff times for the games in Edmonton, will they be positioned for east tv with a say 5-6 pm local time kickoff? That would be nice considered the possible weather, the earlier the better in my eyes, will be interesting to see what considerations prevail in picking it.

Kickoff times have already been set. 

2 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

So it looks like my trip to Edmonton will now result in at least 7 people going to the game (me, the person I am staying with, her 2 kids, a friend traveling from BC and another couple coming from SK).  Still working on my wife to make 8 but there are logistical challenges.  

The plan is to get everyone into the supporters section(s) to give them the full experience - any idea if we would ever run out of ticket allocation for those sections?  I plan to buy them early but this will be my first time buying tickets this cycle.  

We will have a somewhat decent allocation but nowhere near the numbers that we would have at BMO Field.  Having said that, the stadium is huge so there should be no issues getting tickets if you buy relatively early.

13 hours ago, El Hombre said:

Alright, fuck it, I'm going to Edmonton.  Both games.

Can anyone summarize the last ten pages?  I'm too lazy to go back and read them all. 

I'm particularly interested in the following topics:

1) How cold is it going to be?
2) No, seriously, how cold is it going to be?
3) What area is the best place to stay that balances proximity to the games and to bars?
4) Fuck off, it's not going to be that cold, is it?

Commonwealth is a massive stadium.  It does have a rather large heated area that can fit a few thousand people on the concourse level.  I know when I was at the grey cup I huddled in this area at half time.  I remember there was a boston pizza in this area.  There are quite a few different food options.  Make sure you get your tickets on the right side of the stadium!

Commonwealth has quite a few enclosed indoor areas.  I have no idea how many of these would be snapped up for media and the 2 national teams already, but if the Voyageurs have the pull to get a room like the Igloo room or the Jackie Parker room both hold 400 standing.  Being indoors and warm an hour before kick off drinking a beer and having a place to warm up at half time might be nice.

I have zero clue if any of these would be options or what they would cost, but someone who's important might want to look into it.

https://www.edmonton.ca/sites/default/files/public-files/assets/PDF/Commonwealth_Promo_Package_web.pdf

https://www.gotyoulooking.com/1edmontoncommonwealthcentre/mht.html

I'm still in negotiation with my wife.  I'm hoping I can make it out from Saskatoon.  I have one friend who's on board already if I decide to go.  Hope I can join the fun.

On 10/16/2021 at 10:45 AM, prairiecanuck said:

Commonwealth is a massive stadium.  It does have a rather large heated area that can fit a few thousand people on the concourse level.  I know when I was at the grey cup I huddled in this area at half time.  I remember there was a boston pizza in this area.  There are quite a few different food options.  Make sure you get your tickets on the right side of the stadium!

Commonwealth has quite a few enclosed indoor areas.  I have no idea how many of these would be snapped up for media and the 2 national teams already, but if the Voyageurs have the pull to get a room like the Igloo room or the Jackie Parker room both hold 400 standing.  Being indoors and warm an hour before kick off drinking a beer and having a place to warm up at half time might be nice.

I have zero clue if any of these would be options or what they would cost, but someone who's important might want to look into it.

https://www.edmonton.ca/sites/default/files/public-files/assets/PDF/Commonwealth_Promo_Package_web.pdf

https://www.gotyoulooking.com/1edmontoncommonwealthcentre/mht.html

I'm still in negotiation with my wife.  I'm hoping I can make it out from Saskatoon.  I have one friend who's on board already if I decide to go.  Hope I can join the fun.

This is one massive stadium with a lot of space between the field and stands. Will the section be in a corner, the one end is quite far from the touchline? 

Aerial Photo | Commonwealth Stadium, Edmonton AB

11 minutes ago, Razcal said:

It's too bad the stadium has a track, feels like you are so far from the action.

When they built Tim Hortons Field for the Pan Am Games the track events were to be held here in Hamilton, this is one time when our bickering city council inadvertently did something good! They whined and bitched about the added cost of the track so it got moved to York hence a track wasn't built which is fine with me as fans are closer to the pitch than they would have been!

6 minutes ago, gator said:

When they built Tim Hortons Field for the Pan Am Games the track events were to be held here in Hamilton, this is one time when our bickering city council inadvertently did something good! They whined and bitched about the added cost of the track so it got moved to York hence a track wasn't built which is fine with me as fans are closer to the pitch than they would have been!

It makes a huge difference in atmosphere. Even if they could set up termporary seating on the track closer to the field, that would be great.

21 minutes ago, gator said:

An an example the track and slope of the stands at the Olympic Stadium in London makes it the worst place to watch a premier league match. Went to a West Ham game there, will never go back. 

West Ham's first season at London Stadium: a 'terrible' experience or a  step forward? | West Ham United | The Guardian

21 minutes ago, Cblake said:

An an example the track and slope of the stands at the Olympic Stadium in London makes it the worst place to watch a premier league match. Went to a West Ham game there, will never go back. 

West Ham's first season at London Stadium: a 'terrible' experience or a  step forward? | West Ham United | The Guardian

Wow. That puts everyone so far from the pitch. Soccer specific stadia really make a huge difference to atmosphere.

I realize I'm getting a little off topic but check out Dortmund's stadium as a comparison. 

4D24F8EB00000578-0-image-a-10_1528756353556.jpg

22 minutes ago, Razcal said:

Will they lay grass down?

I can't imagine they want to play on that shitty turf.

Commonwealth always used to have grass.  They only went to turf in 2010.  They will have to turn to grass for the world cup.  We're stuck with turf for the qualifier.  

The track does suck in Edmonton, but it is what it is.  The stadium was built for the games.  The potential of 50K fans is pretty special.  

The best stadium would be New Mosaic in Regina.  The field is sunk down sheltered from the elements. You're right on top of the action.  Great sight lines, a massive jumbotron.  The facilities are also the best for the players.  It only holds 34k though.  I can only dream of a game being so close to where I live.  Maybe one day they will host a friendly there!

On 10/16/2021 at 12:03 AM, Cblake said:

Im sure theyn will be at either 7 pm or 7 30 pm Edmonton Time 

29 minutes ago, Razcal said:

Will they lay grass down?

I can't imagine they want to play on that shitty turf.

Can’t be any worse than the tarp I’m watching at BC place for VWC game right now. Hopefully they do a better job of removing the CFL football lines