WCQ: Mexico vs Canada - Thursday, Oct 7, 9:40pm Eastern / 6:40pm Pacific - Mexico City

1 minute ago, SpursFlu said:

I think Davies and David are on the bench. They're going to play for a draw and if the result is still up for grabs after 65, Herdman might go for it

The question then becomes are you totally neutering things considering who else is not available up front if you go that route. I totally agree that certain guys going the full 270 may not be the way to go, but a balance has to be found, man Herdman has some decision to make, will be interesting. 

3 minutes ago, theaub said:

Unless Herdman is pulling some quality shithousery I think he's going for it.

Fully agree...and you have to think he's telling the boys that they can win, because he 100% believes it himself. The only way I see him switching off some of the big guns at some point in the match is if they look completely outmatched or if they are underperforming. To start an 11 who are anything but the best would show the guys that he doesn't quite believe what he preaches no? Despite what we believe would be a more prudent lineup, or what result is more attainable, we have to accept that Herdman's message has  consistently been one of unfettered and unwavering belief that they can win every game. 

14 minutes ago, theaub said:

I just do not see how he coaches with a mentality of anything less than that. Heck if were to be Liam and Tajon up front, those kids will want to go all out. He may have to emphasise playing smart at times, but holding them back, can not see that. 

But he could also be preaching that I have 100% confidence in whoever I start.  Recently he created 2 completely separate 11’s in the qualifiers and got the entire squad to buy into it or so it seemed.  Not starting JD or AD would send a bit of a message about the intentions in that game and the window but he would also be telling them look at the Gold Cup - we almost did it then and we have more firepower now.  Honestly it’s extremely interesting and I think we will all be glued to our devices about an hour before kick off to see what he’s thinking.

Just now, Club Linesman said:

But he could also be preaching that I have 100% confidence in whoever I start.  Recently he created 2 completely separate 11’s in the qualifiers and got the entire squad to buy into it or so it seemed.  Not starting JD or AD would send a bit of a message about the intentions in that game and the window but he would also be telling them look at the Gold Cup - we almost did it then and we have more firepower now.  Honestly it’s extremely interesting and I think we will all be glued to our devices about an hour before kick off to see what he’s thinking.

It does  show that Canada does have some good depth past their best 11 as we saw with the Gold Cup. His starting 11 will say a lot though, will add some drama to the proceedings, that is for sure. 

9 hours ago, theaub said:

And you have to be encouraged by the way Mexico has squeeked out results so far, against teams we might think are worse than we are. They've struggled as much as they've coasted. 

If you get a result in Azteca then you've gotten results from arguably the toughest two away matches and everything has to be smoother from then on.

Well, I hope that we're practicing playing ball to feet when we are playing outlet balls, as there aren't too many (any?) forwards who are the type to win balls in the air, hold play up and bring the rest of the team up with them. I would have thought Cavallini would come in handy there but not if he's still playing in Vancouver.  I'm still not sure why Akindele couldn't have been called in as a replacement for this match, he even has one of the shortest flights (given he's coming from Orlando). If we play Brym in that role, hopefully our cup with be filled to the rim with complements of Brym helping us to win, and not causing us to take one on the chin (ok I'll stop now....)

Hopefully the strategy will be to play the ball over the heads of the Mexican defenders and use our speed to run on in get in behind them, which is where I can see a number of our players (Davies, Tajon, Shaffelburg) doing well if the timing of our long diagonal balls is spot on. The Mexican's will be the craftiest team (including defenders) we will be playing against so it it won't be easy to out-guile them. And they unlike us who are going into this window weakened up top, they are able to call back in their top two forwards in Jimenez and Lozano who weren't around in the first window.

Edited by Gian-Luca

I think, for sure, Herdman tells the team that he's got 100% confidence in whomever he puts out there, but I bet he conveys in clear terms the strategy for Mexico, too, which is defend-like-hell, keep your shape, and stay close for as long as possible, and maybe steal a point.  He'll let them know he's putting out a team selected strategically just for this purpose.  This means he need not start Davies and David. (I also like the idea of Tajon and Millar up front, or maybe a block of 5 in the midfield, 4 on the back line.)  Osorio is a baller in central America, as is Laryea. I will presume Eustaquio starts, too. I've no idea what Herdman will do ultimately, but I've reason to believe he might indeed go with the strategic approach in Mexico, leaving guys like Davies and David on the bench.

We'll know in 24 hours. 

3 minutes ago, N1ckbr0wn said:

It gets worse

Why does Cavallini being in Vancouver make him doubtful for Jamaica and Panama? He's only going to be released when he's fit to play (like Larin or Atiba).  He can be deemed fit to play tomorrow and travel to Jamaica on Friday for example (not saying that's going to happen but the logic in the tweet doesnt make sense).