WCQ: Mexico vs Canada - Thursday, Oct 7, 9:40pm Eastern / 6:40pm Pacific - Mexico City

28 minutes ago, trc2014 said:

I honestly am concerned that there is some dilution going on within the team and fan base as a result of the game at the GC and that we come away with nothing after this game with 1A available 11.  This is literally the hardest game in CONCACAF and the confidence has grown out of control IMO.  3 months ago we were very worried about a game against Suriname in neutral territory.

Canada for sure hung with Mexico at the GC and deserved extra time, but we could have easily lost that game 3-1, 4-1.  

And normally I would rely on the manager to have the cool head about how to approach these upcoming games, but Herdman (and I say this as someone who has really grown to appreciate what he brings to our team/setup) seems like the kind of guy who may get swept up in the self belief.  Unfortunately if we go all out against Mexico and things don’t go well, it is an approach that could have very serious repercussions for our overall campaign.  

I know there are a multitude of options but I am boiling it down to two:  we could exit this window with 6 points and be in a really strong position to Qatar, or we could throw everything we have at a Mexican result and jeopardize the whole thing.  I am really fearful of the latter scenario   

The approach we take against Mexico  can only be vindicated by the results.  If we exit the window with 5 or 6 (or more) points, it will be a long time before I question Herdman again. But if we come out with less this will have been a missed opportunity.   

5 minutes ago, johnyb said:

We know for sure we will have a couple of fresh players without altitude adjustment for game 2 in Hoilett and Wotherspoon. Add to that a suspension or 2 due to yellow card accumulation and 1 or 2 returning injured players and the rotation may just work itself out.

Exactly this. 

We already know that Hoilett is fresh for game 2 and chances are good that Cavallini/Larin will be available for game 3. So David starts in Mexico - if the game is out of reach we can sub him out.

17 minutes ago, JuicyHam said:

So does Brym start against Mexico? Hope he can put in some good hard runs for 60+ minutes and hope we aren't losing to bring on some big guns for a strong finish maybe? 

Brym starting against Mexico would be a joke. Theres no chance that happens.

I think David starts with the idea that he will get a rest in game 2 or 3 when Hoilett and maybe Larin/ Cav are available

12 hours ago, Ngravs said:

I should also note that it doesn't appear that "almost" sold out section appear in baby blue like in some other stadiums. That said there are more tickets bought than it appears on the previous imagine I posted. For example, this picture is sections 535-539 of the Canada game that are dark blue.  CANADA.jpg.d2414fb9b6d5b06c6956a080d5d36b0f.jpg

It also shows how they sell to the popular and working classes first and foremost. 

But it does make one wonder about pricing when the cheaper seats go so much quicker.

My view on who should start: yes, the best players, definitely.

It is much easier to catch an early goal and hang on, than try to come back late and have players forcing it. First, because that is how it works: score early, hang on for dear life. Make the 2nd half changes a bit earlier than normal, don't burn anyone out.

Then, the risk of trying to push for 30 against the best team in the region, is higher than sitting tight and countering for 60.

So I'd rather have the top squad on first half. If we can make it into the 2nd half with a draw or even ahead, then you can sub some attackers off to rest for Jamaica, and slot in some more defensive profiles. 

But if they are two goals ahead, then you can also, basically do the same. Rest those you need for Jamaica or on cards, and turn the page.

41 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

And normally I would rely on the manager to have the cool head about how to approach these upcoming games, but Herdman (and I say this as someone who has really grown to appreciate what he brings to our team/setup) seems like the kind of guy who may get swept up in the self belief.  Unfortunately if we go all out against Mexico and things don’t go well, it is an approach that could have very serious repercussions for our overall campaign.  

I know there are a multitude of options but I am boiling it down to two:  we could exit this window with 6 points and be in a really strong position to Qatar, or we could throw everything we have at a Mexican result and jeopardize the whole thing.  I am really fearful of the latter scenario   

The approach we take against Mexico  can only be vindicated by the results.  If we exit the window with 5 or 6 (or more) points, it will be a long time before I question Herdman again. But if we come out with less this will have been a missed opportunity.   

If Canada gets a point tomorrow this will be completely forgotten if Canada doesn’t make the WC.

Edited by trc2014

So this is who we have available for Mex?

F: Brym David

W: Buchanan Davies Millar Shaff

M: Eustaquio Fraser Kaye Oso Piette

FB: Adekugbe, ZBG Laryea

CB: Cornelius Henry Johnston Miller Vitoria

K: Crepeau Pantemis

21 Guys.

Out: Cav, Larin, Hoilett, Spoony, Hutch, Borjan

We can still send a very strong 11 out there.  I expect Herdman to start our best, and the team will want to test themselves.  So be it.    

Edited by BrennanFan

57 minutes ago, Floortom said:

That is great to see, having him ready for tomorrow night is huge if he is ready to go, he will be an important part of this. Guess we will have to wait and see.

Edited by Cblake

1 hour ago, trc2014 said:

I honestly am concerned that there is some dilution going on within the team and fan base as a result of the game at the GC and that we come away with nothing after this game with 1A available 11.  This is literally the hardest game in CONCACAF and the confidence has grown out of control IMO.  3 months ago we were very worried about a game against Suriname in neutral territory.

Canada for sure hung with Mexico at the GC and deserved extra time, but we could have easily lost that game 3-1, 4-1.  

I’m not trying to be an ass, but did you mean delusion?  I disagree with the “going for it” mentality.  Going for it to me represents all our best players, going the distance, throwing everything at the kitchen sink hoping for a dramatic upset. I don’t think that applies here going into this game.  Would winning here be an upset and are we underdogs?  Of course.  Is it unrealistic we get something here?  I don’t believe so.  Play our best team.  Reassess as the game progresses to what the needs are pertaining to our 5 subs.  I appreciate having a strategy in this window and obviously Herdman has one.  
The way you are suggesting was that 2-1 loss at the GC was more lightning in a bottle in terms of how we played against them.  We’re just a good team with good players now.  That’s not delusional.  It’s time we start acting like a real soccer nation and not expect the sky to fall every time we face some uncertainty 

2 minutes ago, EJsens1 said:

I’m not trying to be an ass, but did you mean delusion?  I disagree with the “going for it” mentality.  Going for it to me represents all our best players, going the distance, throwing everything at the kitchen sink hoping for a dramatic upset. I don’t think that applies here going into this game.  Would winning here be an upset and are we underdogs?  Of course.  Is it unrealistic we get something here?  I don’t believe so.  Play our best team.  Reassess as the game progresses to what the needs are pertaining to our 5 subs.  I appreciate having a strategy in this window and obviously Herdman has one.  
The way you are suggesting was that 2-1 loss at the GC was more lightning in a bottle in terms of how we played against them.  We’re just a good team with good players now.  That’s not delusional.  It’s time we start acting like a real soccer nation and not expect the sky to fall every time we face some uncertainty 

Haha I did!  Thanks for the catch.  Will update the post

2 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

He might have to

Absolutely he may have too depending on the lineup Herdman can put out there. The first 45 will say a lot about where this game is going and what to do for the 2nd half based on what is in the best interested of the team with some consideration given to the next two games. 

My guess is that Herdman is not going to play Davies for 270+ minutes over three games. Maybe Davies sees more than 180 minutes, but even if he does, he's likely going to be on the sidelines for a decent chunk of time.  The question: how best to manage his minutes in this window?  For my money, I want him for 180 minutes in Jamaica and Toronto.

My concern with the idea of playing our best 11 and then reassessing at half time is what would the score line have to look like to basically toss in the towel?  If we are 1 or 2 down and we have had a couple of good chances (which I am sure we will) are we still going to rest Davies, David etc?   Or are we going to keep them on thinking that if we can just get one, we have a chance.   The end result is that barring some unlikely 3-0 (or worse) scoreline at the half, I can see our guys pushing themselves to the limit.   

That is one of the main reasons I would prefer to start defensive and conservative, and then go for it later in the game if we are within touching distance.   

Edited by dyslexic nam

1 hour ago, dyslexic nam said:

I am nervous that Davies tries to do too much and win this game by himself. 

Judging by my posts, I think I am just pretty damn nervous about this window.  

That's interesting. I am worried he tries to do too much at home in Edmonton, where there's real pressure on him to show out. 

Against Mexico I think we're going to get a very mature, responsible performance out of him. Similar to the USA game.