WCQ: Mexico vs Canada - Thursday, Oct 7, 9:40pm Eastern / 6:40pm Pacific - Mexico City

29 minutes ago, narduch said:

Part of the issue is that there is no news to discuss. 

The teams try to guard information and the sports media has been decimated 

So have all the players available/no available for Thursday been determined ? Really interested to see how this all shakes out. 

2 minutes ago, Cblake said:

So have all the players available/no available for Thursday been determined ? Really interested to see how this all shakes out. 

Based on the CSA Twitter clips I haven't noticed any surprises. 

Have we brought in a 3rd keeper just in case. We know Borjan isn't in Mexico 

Edited by narduch

2 minutes ago, narduch said:

Based on the CSA Twitter clips I haven't noticed any surprises. 

Have we brought in a 3rd keeper just in case. We know Borjan isn't in Mexico 

Have not seen anything to suggest a 3rd has been brought in, but then again I do not thinking anyone is down there covering this game from a Canadian perspective other than the PR the CSA puts out. 

13 minutes ago, Cblake said:

Have not seen anything to suggest a 3rd has been brought in, but then again I do not thinking anyone is down there covering this game from a Canadian perspective other than the PR the CSA puts out. 

If Borjan isnt in Mexico it'd be absolutely ludicrous to not have a backup keeper in Mexico

1 minute ago, mrstepp817 said:

If Borjan isnt in Mexico it'd be absolutely ludicrous to not have a backup keeper in Mexico

I would think it would be Dane St. Clair or someone along those lines if there is a 3rd down there. I did run into him in Nashville after the game vs. the US and he was in full Canada gear. You are right, it would be completely stupid if they did not. 

4 minutes ago, mrstepp817 said:

Did I miss something with Pantemis? Or are you guys talking about having a 3rd keeper available along with Crepeau and Pantemis?

9 minutes ago, frattinator said:

Pretty sure people are talking about a third keeper in addition to Pantemis. We've seen Pantemis in some of the training videos CSA posted on twitter. 

Yes it has been on bringing in another GK with Borjan not available. 

Do we know if Cavallini is available for selection? I know his form has been poor and he has been struggling with injury but he is our only true striker apart from David that is potentially available for this match. Brym can play the role though I think he currently is being used out wide at his club. Same with Millar. 

Just now, canuckgbp said:

Do we know if Cavallini is available for selection? I know his form has been poor and he has been struggling with injury but he is our only true striker apart from David that is potentially available for this match. Brym can play the role though I think he currently is being used out wide at his club. Same with Millar. 

I don't think Cavallini is even in mexico

6 minutes ago, Floortom said:

I don't think Cavallini is even in mexico

Are we sure about that, that would really thin things out up front if Herdman was looking to keep things fresh for the next two games with some squad rotation, would present some challenges to say the least. 

1 minute ago, Cblake said:

Are we sure about that, that would really thin things out up front if Herdman was looking to keep things fresh for the next two games with some squad rotation, would present some challenges to say the least. 

Havent seen him in any pics or vids. 

I know Herdman likes the 4-4-2/3-5-2 but up-top we are thin. Similar at the back where the only replacement for Johnston is Henry or take a chance with ZBG or Layrea. 

I'll take a punt though. What I think Herdman will do-

------------Millar---------David---------------

Davies---Kaye---Eustaquio----Osorio----Layrea

-------Miller------Vitoria*-----Johnston----------

----------------Crepeau--------------------------

*Not sure how Vitoria will hold up in the elevation but use Henry against Jamaica where I think he matches up well with their more direct style. Vitoria should be good for Panama. 

Sub out David and Davies soon as possible. If the game is lost also get Eustaquio and Johnston on ice. 

Bring on Tajon for Davies and ZBG for Layrea if needed. 

Edited by canuckgbp

7 minutes ago, narduch said:

That is a going for it line up.

Not a fan of that approach (especially with Jamaica on the ropes and there for the taking) but I suspect this is closer to how Herdman approaches this game.  

God I hope we don’t go all out and still come away with nothing.  Depending on how the rest of the window goes, that could be a huge misstep 

2 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

Not a fan of that approach (especially with Jamaica on the ropes and there for the taking) but I suspect this is closer to how Herdman approaches this game.  

God I hope we don’t go all out and still come away with nothing.  Depending on how the rest of the window goes, that could be a huge misstep 

I honestly am concerned that there is some delusion going on within the team and fan base as a result of the game at the GC and that we come away with nothing after this game with 1A available 11.  This is literally the hardest game in CONCACAF and the confidence has grown out of control IMO.  3 months ago we were very worried about a game against Suriname in neutral territory.

Canada for sure hung with Mexico at the GC and deserved extra time, but we could have easily lost that game 3-1, 4-1.  

Edited by trc2014