WCQ: Third Round - Window 2 (October 7-13, 2021)

Yoginess

This window really seems like we should be taking 26 players. Fraser is starting to play well with Columbus, ZBG and Millar(24th and 25th players assuming no injuries to window 1 squad) could bring something in a 3 game window with lots of travel. Heck the 26th spot could go to Enin to see what hes all about. 

EDIT: Kennedy injury could see Cornelius get the call. 

Assuming CSA is on the same timeline as last window, we should see a roster by Friday. 

Edited by king1010

Looks like Panama could be missing one of their big guns this window - CB Fidel Escobar of Alcorón (Spanish 2nd Division). Fotmob has him listed as sustaining a muscle injury 2 days ago, and expect return listed as “a few weeks”.

I haven’t watched Panama all that closely, but he seems to be a big piece for them to be missing. Played all 270 mins in September and got good ratings in all three games.

Edited by footballfreak

On 9/20/2021 at 5:12 PM, youllneverwalkalone said:

Hard to know who to leave out but it would be nice to have young Liam Millar pressing the Mexicans. I won't bother trying to explain the rabbit hole I went down on elevation to justify this, but fun fact that Denver is more than double the elevation of Mexico City. Get ready MAK.

https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2020/11/50-highest-cities-world-sea-level/

According to published sources i found,  its states 

Mexico city as the 7th highest in the world at 2316 metres above sea level.

Denver as the 16th highest in the  world at 1673 metres above sea level

There is quite a difference between the two

Edited by Free kick

1 hour ago, jtpc said:

If these referee assignments on Wikipedia are correct, guess who we get at Azteca? Our friend, Ivan "6 Yellow Cards At The Gold Cup" Barton.

screenshot_20210926_184332.jpg

That likely comes from the twitter account ( that @narduch & I follow) that posted the info 4 days ago:

They have been a reliable source.

59 minutes ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

5 players

Vitória, Laryea, Kaye, Buchanan, Adekugbe 

In my mind, you think about starting a good chunk of these guys against Mexico, with the thinking that this is a low percentage game, and anyone playing significant minutes in that game is going to be gassed for game 2 anyways. The real killer would be a player on this list going unused in match 1, and then getting a yellow in match 2. This kills the squad rotation in game 3, particularly if it’s in a position where we’re thin cough CB cough cough.

Laryea you 100% need against Jamaica, so imo you keep him out. You risk losing him against Panama, but their attacking on the wing isn’t anywhere near as fast as Jamaica. 

Vitória seems super likely to start @MEX and vsPanama with a rest in between or spot duty against Jamaica. His game works better against Panama than Jamaica anyways. 

Kaye may need need to start 2 games if Hutch is out, so I would say he’s likely a MEX/PAN starter as well. 

Buchanan and Adekugbe I’m on the fence about. Both would be nice to have available against Jamaica, but neither are absolutely essential, so I wouldn’t be surprised to see one or both play significant minutes in Mexico. Depends how much pressure Herdman feels not to simply concede that game outright. Davies would not want to sit game 1 in favour of Adekugbe, but I honestly think Adekugbe could start with Davies subbing in at half if we’re still tied/leading. We need Phonzy at his best in games 2/3, and he certainly isn’t getting any rest at Bayern.

Buchanan is shouldn’t be a huge risk for yellow card accumulation compared to the others based on position alone, but the El Salvador game showed he can lose his cool. Not sure how you manage that.

2 hours ago, trc2014 said:

So right now there is a chance we are possibly looking at a line-up sans Larin, Hutch and Kennedy.  Tag-in Millar, Arfield and Cornelius?  

Any other thoughts (assuming line-up size stays the same)?

Your 3 tag-ins seem more than reasonable to me.  Maybe Ennin, Paton and James, but I would prefer your 3 should the others need replacing.

2 hours ago, trc2014 said:

So right now there is a chance we are possibly looking at a line-up sans Larin, Hutch and Kennedy.  Tag-in Millar, Arfield and Cornelius?  

Any other thoughts (assuming line-up size stays the same)?

Is there any confirmation Atiba is carrying a knock? Could just be squad rotation, though I must admit it is kind of odd for him to not even be in the squad. The match is away though, so perhaps no point flying him to Amsterdam if Besiktas want/need to rest him?

If he can't go then I agree that Arfield makes sense, same with Cornelius for Kennedy and Millar for Larin. You could argue however that Arfield and Millar should be there regardless. We seemed to carry the smallest squad last window and that's not something I want to see this time around. 

Edited by Obinna

17 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Is there any confirmation Atiba is carrying a knock? Could just be squad rotation, though I must admit it is kind of odd for him to not even be in the squad. The match is away though, so perhaps no point flying him to Amsterdam if Besiktas want/need to rest him?

If he can't go then I agree that Arfield makes sense, same with Cornelius for Kennedy and Millar for Larin. You could argue however that Arfield and Millar should be there regardless. We seemed to carry the smallest squad last window and that's not something I want to see this time around. 

Someone posted on the forum that hutch had thigh pain and has had an MRI. 

This is also a reason to carry a slightly bigger squad. Players won't always be available for selection and having players with the team, in practice and getting to know the team is important. Think it can work if the messaging is upfront that they probably won't see the field. 

23 player team chemistry is important, however we will probably need closer to 30 throughout this entire WCQ campaign. Doesn't mean they will all see the field but expect the unexpected. Weird things happen and things can change quickly window to window. 

Hopefully it isn't about money. I get CSA aren't in a great position but the only thing that matters right now is qualifying for Qatar. 

Think ZBG, Millar, Arfield and one of Cornelius/Waterman (or both) should probably be brought along and integrated into the squad.  If Hutch is out maybe someone like Harry Paton could be included for depth as well. He was with the team on the tail end of the Gold Cup (covid protocols delayed him I believe)

If someone like Johnston can't play for whatever reason we are extremely thin at RCB. Based on the last roster its Henry that can slot in, maybe Laryea in a pinch. Rather have someone like Waterman available who plays their for his club then potentially throwing a FB into the role. 

It is a fluid system so that RCB can make sense with a FB. But someone like Waterman who is good on the ball can slot in I think. Only issue with someone like ZBG in that position is the height he gives up. 

Edited by canuckgbp

6 minutes ago, Shway said:

Arfield has barely played FYI.

Millar is not a like for like replacement for Larin.

With Arfield think it is more about his experience. We could go younger and someone who is playing more but that lacks the experience. 

We don't have many options for a Larin replacement at the moment. Millar is probably the best option looking through the potentially players. This is where someone like Jebbison would make sense to have available but don't really see that happening at this point. 

Think we are really missing Ayo at the moment with Cav having been hurt and not in form.