WCQ: Third Round - Window 2 (October 7-13, 2021)

Yoginess

39 minutes ago, Yoginess said:

The games are getting close and the lack of news is driving me crazy. We need some rosters or something to discuss 😅

Imagine if we didn’t make it to the Octo?  Instead the Mexico game is a little over 2 weeks away and we will have something to discuss soon.

45 minutes ago, trc2014 said:

It’s funny, I can’t remember being less excited for a squad release haha.  Copy and paste September plus possibly Arfield.

Yeah seriously. So ho hum now. Just a really quality squad for really important matches where none of us are even thinking about dual nationals. 

52 minutes ago, trc2014 said:

It’s funny, I can’t remember being less excited for a squad release haha.  Copy and paste September plus possibly Arfield.

Honestly, I will be extremely happy if we get everyone coming into the next round of games healthy.  Prior to this qualification stage we all felt that it would be impossible to have all our main guys healthy for every window.  Getting into (and through) the second one with a full squad of first teamers would be a great way to start.   

Please let’s not jinx anything!!!  I remember a long time ago waiting for a roster and, days before it was released, following a Josh Simpson match, and noticing that he was subbed out early. Next thing I know, I’m on the Vs site reading that the injury is a career threatening one… that was a horrible day.  Let’s hope for ho hum, and no injuries in the next 2 weeks!

11 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

It's on the slow-moving navigable Rhine, it's lowlands. I just went through once on the way to Weil am Rhein, just over the border. 

I have been there quite a few times for work.  It’s definitely in the hills (so not lowlands per se or at least not flat).  Walking around in the city is quite hilly. I remember some of my colleagues complaining about it.  That being said, its definitely not in the mountains.  Plus the Alps are not that high above sea level in general.  Even the highest ski resort which is Val Thorens in the trois valleys and it is only 2300m above sea level which is essentially Mexico City (and that place is pretty desolate as i have been a few times….you really only go for the guaranteed snow during the day or stay to join the crazy Skandi parties at night as its a big hit with them).

Basel by the way is a pretty town if a bit boring.  Great places to run in and around the city including along the river.  I suspect is a good place to play football as not a lot of distractions.

Was watching Getafe-Madrid the other day, and Getafe has Mexican Macias. Young striker. Constantly trying to provoke fouls, but intense, but pretty typical ineffective playing style the middle-range Latin-American attackers resort to, I don't think he was that dangerous.

Also seen Guardado play lately, also has slipped down a notch. 

I am not saying Canada matches Mexico man for man, but we are not that far off and the only thing to fear is their overall passing and tactical play, plus home motivation, not individual talent.

Looking at all these league matches where lesser clubs are getting results vs. stronger ones, it is the only way to take on Mexico IMO. We can't roll over as that would put us on our back foot, and embolden our rivals. If we can nab a point in DF that would be a major accomplishment and give us confidence going forward. Apart from allowing us to not be so pressured going into Jamaica, or coming back home. You have to be able to take something out of it, as I see it, so even if you don't get points you have gained other things.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

If there's no injuries I imagine roster turnover will be minimal....SI did a pretty good piece on the challenges the US squad faces with some injuries and a road game in Panama which is still a red country...I imagine as the window gets closer we'll see more articles like this from the Octo nations

https://www.si.com/soccer/2021/09/21/usmnt-october-world-cup-qualifying-squad-hoppe-weah-musah

Edited by mrstepp817