Jump to content

WCQ | Window 1 | Match Day 3: Canada vs El Salvador- Wednesday, Sept 8th, 7:30pm Eastern / 4:30pm Pacific - Toronto, BMO Field


Shway
 Share

Recommended Posts

Really curious (and oddly excited??) to see this team without Davies. Though he's a total game-changer, I wonder how the rest of the team will be forced to get up n go (a la Gold Cup) without him in the lineup. Found through the first two games there were a number of occasions that reliance on Davies and Davies' stubbornness to look for a pass/cross instead of driving and shooting himself left something to be desired for a well-balanced and decisive attack.

Hope the boys each take it upon themselves to put their best foot forward and act with courage and decisiveness this game. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, grigorio said:

 Davies' stubbornness to look for a pass/cross instead of driving and shooting himself left something to be desired for a well-balanced and decisive attack.

Fotmob has him at 34 completed passes and 0 shots (off and on target). I agree he's holding the ball too long sometimes to try to make something happen, but I don't think it's cause he's looking for his own shot rather than making the pass. At all.

 

 

Edit: realizing I completely misread your post. The shame felt is real. Apologies, and agreed 

Edited by Mattd97
Link to comment
Share on other sites

40 minutes ago, Shway said:

Forgive me if someone has posted this lineup already.


 image.png.82a6fdbdc8a4377cecb276ee2dfee9a8.png
 

I’d do something like this: 

 

Larin—Cav—Tajon 

Kaye—Osorio—Hutchinson 

Adkugbe—Miller—Vitoria—Johnson

————-Borjan————

 

Feels odd to say it but I don’t see David as a starter at this point.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, ag futbol said:

I’d do something like this: 

 

Larin—Cav—Tajon 

Kaye—Osorio—Hutchinson 

Adkugbe—Miller—Vitoria—Johnson

————-Borjan————

 

Feels odd to say it but I don’t see David as a starter at this point.

I would have David and Larin both start, really brining it to ES. After popping in a few you can bring on Cavs. Really want Canada to go on an all out assault right out of the gate. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Cblake said:

I would have David and Larin both start, really brining it to ES. After popping in a few you can bring on Cavs. Really want Canada to go on an all out assault right out of the gate. 

Did you see our all out attacking lineup and how that played out against Honduras? We need to win the midfield first. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Cblake said:

I would have David and Larin both start, really brining it to ES. After popping in a few you can bring on Cavs. Really want Canada to go on an all out assault right out of the gate. 

I see where you’re coming from but my point would be we’ve tried this a few times before and it doesn’t really come off because the service isn’t there / we have no #10. Jonathan David in particular looks ineffective because nobody wants to play that ball in behind and he’s always dropping back to receive a pass in midfield with his back to goal and getting out muscled by defenders.

A target man is a good stop-gap for us in terms of establishing possession in the attacking third. It sucks in the defenders centrally and leaves more room for guys on the flanks to operate. It also allows basically any of David, Davies, Tajon, or Larin to cut in and combine with someone more readily. 

Our “solution” seems to be to call Larin the target but that’s not his role at club level or where he plays best. He’s really made his name playing as a support striker or FW.
 

Edited by ag futbol
Link to comment
Share on other sites

46 minutes ago, grigorio said:

Really curious (and oddly excited??) to see this team without Davies. Though he's a total game-changer, I wonder how the rest of the team will be forced to get up n go (a la Gold Cup) without him in the lineup. Found through the first two games there were a number of occasions that reliance on Davies and Davies' stubbornness to look for a pass/cross instead of driving and shooting himself left something to be desired for a well-balanced and decisive attack.

Hope the boys each take it upon themselves to put their best foot forward and act with courage and decisiveness this game. 

I get what your trying to say ,but not having Davies is a major loss no matter how we try to see the positives . Davies is a world class player for Canada like we have never had before. This is a well coached and very good El Salvador team and we need all our best players available to play . I’m not saying we can’t get a win without Davies but not having him is a major loss don’t kid yourself, a job of getting a win against this very good El Salvadorian side which was already going to be tough just got harder without Davies .

Edited by SoccMan
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Canuckistan2019 said:

We have to win this game if we going to have any serious push qualifying. It’s time we show we belong with Mexico and usa against El Salvador. I can see us winning this game 2-0. Hopefully we don’t play to the same level as the team we play like how we usually do against lesser sides and treat El Salvador like seriously  dangerous team.

If you think this El Salvador side is a lesser side well then you might be in for a surprise, this is not the old El Salvador side of days gone by , this game will be just as hard as the previous two. Moreover, if you thought there were a lot of Honduras fans at the last BMO Field home game well the El Salvadorian support will make that Honduran support in that last home game look like nothing. Be prepared for it looking and sounding like half the stadium is going for El Salvador tomorrow night, like I mentioned earlier there is a big El Salvadorian community in the Toronto area and add in many coming from the US also. I just find it very suspicious how this game sold out so quickly while the Honduras game still had a few 100 tickets that didn’t sell . I’m hoping it was the fact that Canadian fans woke up and snapped up tickets but another part of me tells me it’s the El Salvador fans snapping a lot of those remaining tickets let’s hope I’m wrong . I was at the Honduras game and even with the relative small amount of Honduran fans at that game they sounded pretty loud can just imagine how loud a much bigger turnout of El Salvador fans will sound like.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, SoccMan said:

If you think this El Salvador side is a lesser side well then you might be in for a surprise, this is not the old El Salvador side of days gone by , this game will be just as hard as the previous two. Moreover, if you thought there were a lot of Honduras fans at the last BMO Field home game well the El Salvadorian support will make that Honduran support in that last home game look like nothing. Be prepared for it looking and sounding like half the stadium is going for El Salvador tomorrow night, like I mentioned earlier there is a big El Salvadorian community in the Toronto area and add in many coming from the US also. I just find it very suspicious how this game sold out so quickly while the Honduras game still had a few 100 tickets that didn’t sell . I’m hoping it was the fact that Canadian fans woke up and snapped up tickets but another part of me tells me it’s the El Salvador fans snapping a lot of those remaining tickets let’s hope I’m wrong . I was at the Honduras game and even with the relative small amount of Honduran fans at that game they sounded pretty loud can just imagine how loud a much bigger turnout of El Salvador fans will sound like.

why bother showing up,it sounds like a loss,if we cant beat these powers at home we dont belong

Link to comment
Share on other sites

https://www.magazinelatino.com/dos-jugadores-de-la-seleccion-salvadorena-dieron-positivo-para-covid-y-solo-14-han-sido-autorizados-para-jugar-ante-canada-este-miercoles/

All sorts of interesting info...

- El Salvador will only have 14 players available tomorrow. 2 tested positive, and others no restricted because of their vaccine.

- Writer explains why they couldn't train at BMO

#vivaCONCACAF

Edited by PastPros
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, PastPros said:

https://www.magazinelatino.com/dos-jugadores-de-la-seleccion-salvadorena-dieron-positivo-para-covid-y-solo-14-han-sido-autorizados-para-jugar-ante-canada-este-miercoles/

All sorts of interesting info...

- El Salvador will only have 14 players available tomorrow. 2 tested positive, and others no restricted because of their vaccine.

- Writer explains why they couldn't train at BMO

#vivaCONCACAF

El Salvador’s federation put out a statement denying these claims so I’m not sure they’re reputable 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

45 minutes ago, king1010 said:

Did you see our all out attacking lineup and how that played out against Honduras? We need to win the midfield first. 

In regards to our first game lineup, one thing that never seemed to come up was the lack of familiarity amongst that power lineup.  Remember when we made a list of all the players who wouldn't be playing against Mexico in the GC, well, most of those guys started our first game.  They hadn't played with each other for months.  There was a part of me that thought maybe ol Johnny would double down and start them again vs the US when they at least had a game under their belts, but as per my previous post I like the idea of bringing in some "shock troops", David and Buchanan fit the bill perfectly.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, reggietfc said:

why bother showing up,it sounds like a loss,if we cant beat these powers at home we dont belong

Did I say we are losing? I’m just saying this will not be an easy game and they will be just as tough as Honduras and the USA and they will also have a pretty sizeable support to back them that’s all.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Herdman said Davies had a cramp, so take this with a grain a salt. I remember before the 1st game, I saw an interview with him, and he said Cavalini could potentially give 15-20 mins at the end of a match. So, I think a lot of people that have him starting are going to be disappointed. 
 

Anyone at practice see if Kennedy is practicing? My guess is no. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, SoccMan said:

Did I say we are losing? I’m just saying this will not be an easy game and they will be just as tough as Honduras and the USA and they will also have a pretty sizeable support to back them that’s all.

Yes, all these guys saying we should win all these games makes me laugh.  You'd think this is the first time they've seen a Concacaf tournament.  This brings me back to a rant I used to do about Ali Gerba and the importance of one goal.  People here used to complain that he was fat and shouldn't play etc but he was about the only guy who could score the important goal.  One goal changes everything and it is difficult to get, it means the other guys have to get two, ratcheting up the difficulty.  We've been lucky? lately able to come back from being one down, but why make things more difficult.

I know this sounds extremely simplistic but like Jordan Peterson says "It's complicated, man"

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share


×
×
  • Create New...