WCQ | Window 1 | Match Day 3: Canada vs El Salvador- Wednesday, Sept 8th, 7:30pm Eastern / 4:30pm Pacific - Toronto, BMO Field

Shway

Certainly can't blame immigrants from any developing/smaller country of any generation for supporting their homeland, especially since this is likely one of the only times they can gather together and celebrate their heritage. Now as others have mentioned hopefully we can now have them come out to support Canada as well, especially after that performance. 

12 hours ago, vancanman said:

While watching this, I noticed that I wouldn't recognise Atiba's voice.  Have I never seen him interviewed before?

Funny you mention that, because the first time I heard this I thought for some reason his voice here sounded different (foreign) than other interviews I've seen with him.

Edited by Joe MacCarthy

So as another immigrant to the country when I was a child (moved to Toronto right before turning 10), I had a very different experience in terms of my MNT loyalties. I loved soccer before moving to Canada, but I immediately latched on CanNT as my team, even begging my dad to take me to watch Canada play Iran in a friendly at the old Varsity Stadium in Toronto back in 1997 (I found out later that was Jason de Vos's first international appearance) as my birthday AND Christmas present for that year (it was also when I realized Canada didn't get the home support that I imagined). I think it probably helped that the country of my birth didn't have a super long history of soccer culture (though they did make it to a world cup more recently than Canada did).

On the other hand, I think the beauty of Canada has been that you are never forced to pick and choose your cultural heritage, you can be Canadian and Jamaican, or Canadian and Salvadoran at the same time. I didn't realize how important that was to me until I traveled and lived in other countries in my 20s when people wouldn't believe that I'm Canadian because I didn't look like their pre-conceived notion of what a Canadian could look like (AKA white). 

I would like to think that acceptance has also made it easier for some players like Laryea or Osorio or even David to rep Canada when they have other heritage. Because Canada never forced them to choose, they are more likely to choose Canada. 

1 hour ago, sebdeserio said:

Certainly can't blame immigrants from any developing/smaller country of any generation for supporting their homeland, especially since this is likely one of the only times they can gather together and celebrate their heritage. Now as others have mentioned hopefully we can now have them come out to support Canada as well, especially after that performance. 

I guess we'll see if they are soccer fans or just supporting their country/homeland eh?  If they are soccer fans then how can they not cheer Canada on the rest of the way against the other CONCACAF nations??  They still get a pass against their home country, HAHA.  And its all good anyways...they paid their money, put something into CSA coffers, and maybe spurred the rest of us to support a little harder.  

5 hours ago, ag futbol said:

Well I hate to pile on but he definitely took a lot of abuse. At one point when he went up for a header he got karate kicked in the back of the leg taking his feet out from under him and slamming on the ground. I would say that and at least one other of the fouls should have been straight reds for fouls on Tajon. 

i think he did pretty well given the circumstances. And it’s totally fair game to play for a foul if you’re getting slaughtered cause that’s an effective tactic (if the officials actually called the game properly). Unfortunately they didn’t but he got out with a goal and an assist. Highly effective overall.

It's alright. Once he develops into a player who doesn't go to ground so easily, you're going to see something special. Right now we're just seeing very effective at times. 

And just because I called him out for diving doesn't mean he's never been legitimately fouled. 

5 hours ago, El Hombre said:

Watch David closely.  I have the same complaint as you do about him.  I think he's a much worse offender.

I definitely think David does it too, although not as much as Tajon. My friend who I was with said the same thing - that David is bad for it too. But at least he falls in a way that usually looks believable. I haven't watched a replay of David going down in the box, but live I was like.... Hmmm, was that a penalty? Whereas with Tajon I think the theatrics are too much. 

Really good player. But he's got a chance to be great. A young Ronaldo used to dive all over the place too. When he learned how to stay on his feet he became arguably the best player in the world. 

4 hours ago, Mattd97 said:

Theo would never do such things, am I right???

To the extent Tajon does? Nope. And if he does, he makes it look more believable because I've never seen an issue with him diving. 

Tajon has more speed than Theo, so using it should be his tactic. Theo is quick, but not a world beater so he has to go into contact to beat players. 

Quick summary: We scored in each of our three matches, four goals from open play, one from the spot.  We allowed only two goals, and only a smattering of solid chances.  Of the two goals allowed, both were caused by mistakes we can easily clean up. While there were moments here and there where we could have been sharper, save for the terrible spell against Honduras in the first half, we played very solid football over the three matches. We were tactically aware, always hardworking, and sufficiently creative.  

Can we build on this?  I think so. I really do. Next window looks to be tougher, if only because of the travel--I wish we played Jamaica first, not Mexico--but we will learn a lot about this group, and they'll learn a lot about themselves.

I'm just watching the replay of the match now, I was at the far end from where some of these events happened but I have seen him kicked and head betted in about 18 minutes, either or both could be considered Red Card offences and he has the only card, I must say deservedly for his reaction to being again cut down from behind and head butted while down! I think he played about as well as he possibly could have providing a great assist and numerous other chances as well as being a constant threat on the wing and burrying a goal of his own, if he has to Concacaf a bit, so be it long may it continue!

1 hour ago, Hawkguy said:

I definitely think David does it too, although not as much as Tajon. My friend who I was with said the same thing - that David is bad for it too. But at least he falls in a way that usually looks believable. I haven't watched a replay of David going down in the box, but live I was like.... Hmmm, was that a penalty? Whereas with Tajon I think the theatrics are too much. 

Really good player. But he's got a chance to be great. A young Ronaldo used to dive all over the place too. When he learned how to stay on his feet he became arguably the best player in the world. 

Not sure there's a direct correlation there.

1 hour ago, Hawkguy said:

It's alright. Once he develops into a player who doesn't go to ground so easily, you're going to see something special. Right now we're just seeing very effective at times. 

And just because I called him out for diving doesn't mean he's never been legitimately fouled. 

lol...what are you the dive police,its part of the game.lets be polite and try not to win we need some dark arts,its easy for us in the stands to say he goes down easy,tajon got butchered last night,

I haven't seen much mention of it, I think the pitch wasn't in great shape obviously due to argo game(s) played on it, they may have even had one postponed that was in this window? The pitch in our end looked ok but you could see there were patches up the field between the hash marks and where the team sidelines were, it looked worse on tv! I'm not sure how much this affected the play, if at all by the looks of it, this field has all the best features in the world with the surface, draining and heating, I expect better in these important matches in summer!

1 hour ago, Mattd97 said:

Ryan Reynolds owns a soccer team and one of the best marketing companies in the world, and reps canada hard.  Would be a dream match-up if the CSA could send out some feelers

This is actually a great idea, I bet if the voyageurs account got some kind of clever tweet out and encouraged us all to RT it that might be enough to gain his attention. would just have to figure out what our goal would be once we got his attention

10 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

Tajon may have gone down easy a couple of times but he was literally getting kicked around the park.  He received at least 3 fouls that should have been yellows and one could easily have been a red (the stomp).  Giving the ref an opportunity to give you a friendly call or two after that is smart, not soft IMO.  Now, I think there are times when he could have passed the ball a bit earlier,  it that is a separate issue.  

All of them were red card offences.  They were all intentions to injure (stomp, knee to head, and kick to the legs).

41 minutes ago, Approve My Account Pls said:

This is actually a great idea, I bet if the voyageurs account got some kind of clever tweet out and encouraged us all to RT it that might be enough to gain his attention. would just have to figure out what our goal would be once we got his attention

All I ask for is a video of Deadpool training with the team.

Then again we already see Alistair Johnson play with them, so we kind of see it all the time

I said to my brother we gotta score early or else this crowd atmosphere could shift against us. 

Luckily we did just that, and the El Salvador fans were switching sides by half time joining in/starting chants.

But this sheit has to stop. CSA has to be a little more strategic in the way tickets are administered. I also found it weird how the CPL had a game on the same day as well - absolutely amateur.

19 hours ago, kacbru said:

Well, I live in NZ and there is no doubt I would be supporting Canada in a play-off against the All Whites for the intercontinental play-off.  So I can understand it.

Maybe you misunderstood, or I didn't make myself clear.  As I said, that guy came and supported anyone we were playing, meaning he was supporting El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, etc.  I never saw him supporting Canada at all.  (He stood out, because he was very obnoxious, standing up and taunting us at odd points in matches, and he had gold teeth.)  

I live in Japan, and I will always support Canada, but I also support Japan, as long as they're not playing Canada.

17 hours ago, Buchta said:

I can give an example of Canadians who live abroad and hockey.  If Canada is playing in the Czech Republic (for example) they will almost always cheer for Canada, and not the country where they live, have a job etc.  

↑ As I said above, I live abroad, and I will always support Canada first, but I will also support Japan.  The person that I mentioned at Swangard, and many others, supported everyone we played, but would never support Canada.  I don't know of any Canadians who would live abroad and support every team that comes along, except for the country where he/she lives.

17 hours ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

You probably would need to shield your eyes/ears if you were in  my house when the Canada/GB women's game was on this summer. To cite the most recent example.

Once again (sorry, I've responded to two other people already about this, because I guess my point wasn't clear the first time) I understand supporting the country of ones birth or citizenship.  I do the same thing.  What I am talking about is people who don't give a toss at all about Canada, even if they live there.  There are, as I'm sure you're aware, people who were born in Canada, but still support other countries and wouldn't go to support Canada if they were given a free ticket.

3 hours ago, Mattd97 said:

Ryan Reynolds owns a soccer team and one of the best marketing companies in the world, and reps canada hard.  Would be a dream match-up if the CSA could send out some feelers

Was anyone else bummed about Reynolds buying a team overseas???   Couldnt he have bankrolled a CPL team??  DIdnt he make hundreds of millions on that gin company??