WCQ | Window 1 | Match Day 3: Canada vs El Salvador- Wednesday, Sept 8th, 7:30pm Eastern / 4:30pm Pacific - Toronto, BMO Field

Shway

2 hours ago, RS said:

Apparently El Salvador flew commercial to Toronto today, not charter.

https://www.elgrafico.com/futbol/Hara-cambios-Hugo-Perez-para-el-juego-ante-Canada--20210906-0017.html

1 hour ago, JamboAl said:

The one at the Rogers Centre.  Wonder where our team is at?

Weird that they flew in in two seperate flights. One connecting in the USA and another group flying directly to Toronto.

8 minutes ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

Weird that they flew in in two seperate flights. One connecting in the USA and another group flying directly to Toronto.

I believe that I read somewhere further up the thread that at least one player is barred from entering the US, so couldn't fly with the main group on the flight that went via a US airport. They organised another flight via Panama.

The ref:

https://worldreferee.com/referee/ricardo_montero_araya/

He was our ref for our 2017 Gold Cup match against Jamaica and our 2017 friendly at BMO Field against Jamaica.

---

This match will be tough and a draw is actually fairly likely.

El Salvador has gotten more depth over the past year and we can't expect Johnston &/or Laryea &/or Eustáquio to play 90 minutes.

If Henry is injured we need to bring in Waterman and we need to bring in ZBG as another option too.

---

12 minutes ago, SthMelbRed said:

I believe that I read somewhere further up the thread that at least one player is barred from entering the US, so couldn't fly with the main group on the flight that went via a US airport. They organised another flight via Panama.

Honduran player Bryan Moya entered the US illegally (as a child?) and is barred from entering the USA and had to fly in seperately from the rest of the team to Toronto (via Panama).

https://www.diez.hn/laseleccion/1488901-498/seleccion-nacional-honduras-debut-eliminatoria-canada-octagonal-final-concacaf

I haven't heard of a similar case from the delegation from El Salvador.

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille

14 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

Of all the guys who missed out, ZBG is one that I feel bad for.  He looks really good for Montreal and he has been consistently solid for them since last season.  It know it is just due to the talent we have on the right side with Johnston, Laryea, and Buchanan, but I am still hoping that Brault Guillard gets a chance to strut his stuff during this process.  I definitely think he is at that level.   

I agree.  I liked his game from what I saw last year.  The one thing though, was his play at the Olympic tourney.  He wasn’t poor but he didn’t stand out.  I was actually thinking he would distinguish himself given that going in, he was of similar pedigree to TB.  TB really distinguished himself and earned future call ups to the national team.   ZBG did not and I can’t argue too much that decision .

Edited by Free kick

4 minutes ago, trc2014 said:

Are we sure he hasn’t?

No, but I think it would have been reported somewhere. The German media is reporting he underwent an MRI so I think they would have said he has returned to Germany. 

Canada returned to Toronto at 1pm today so if Davies didn’t join and was instead on a flight to Germany I think that we would have heard by now.

Since it is not a specific diagnosis does that rule out all of the major obvious stuff? He went back on the field for about 5 minutes but that doesn’t really tell us much.

Idk how much to read into him getting a scan because with Bayern they probably don’t leave much choice in the matter. 

Hopefully we see him at practice tomorrow. 

Edited by canuckgbp

1 hour ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

The ref:

https://worldreferee.com/referee/ricardo_montero_araya/

He was our ref for our 2017 Gold Cup match against Jamaica and our 2017 friendly at BMO Field against Jamaica.

---

This match will be tough and a draw is actually fairly likely.

El Salvador has gotten more depth over the past year and we can't expect Johnston &/or Laryea &/or Eustáquio to play 90 minutes.

If Henry is injured we need to bring in Waterman and we need to bring in ZBG as another option too.

---

Honduran player Bryan Moya entered the US illegally (as a child?) and is barred from entering the USA and had to fly in seperately from the rest of the team to Toronto (via Panama).

https://www.diez.hn/laseleccion/1488901-498/seleccion-nacional-honduras-debut-eliminatoria-canada-octagonal-final-concacaf

I haven't heard of a similar case from the delegation from El Salvador.

Ah, yes. Honduras. All Central American teams who play in blue and white are pretty much the same, though, aren't they? 😄 

2 minutes ago, canuckgbp said:

One major plus is Tajon is fresh.

I'm counting in this; he has to start.

Just now, zeelaw said:

Gotta be Tajon and David getting us the three points Wednesday.

Piette also has to start and not be afraid of getting a yellow if need be. Eustáquio can play at least 35 minutes I'd think and could replace him?

8 minutes ago, zeelaw said:

Gotta be Tajon and David getting us the three points Wednesday.  Really interesting to see how Herdman has to manage the squad in a three-game Int'l break these days.

Let's bring it on Wednesday...

I am really looking forward to seeing what Tajon in action out of the gate. He is a really exciting young player. I do hope John has learned from these first few games on how to manage these 3 game windows? They certainly present some challenges that you did not face in previous cycles. 

10 minutes ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

Piette also has to start and not be afraid of getting a yellow if need be. Eustáquio can play at least 35 minutes I'd think and could replace him?

I don’t see Piette starting with the options we have. I can see him coming on to protect a lead but he’s not a player to break down teams. 

Just for a couple updates I received about the El Salvador team.

• ES were to train at a local club in Cambridge tonight and tomorrow.
  • 2 players tested positive for Covid so the team was unable to attend training at the club tonight.  Not sure if that means that they didn't get a session in tonight or not but they are scheduled to train there again tomorrow.
  • Apparently a couple players vaccines weren't recognized by Canada.  Unsure of the players and what that means for their eligibility.
  • Zavaleta is fit to play tomorrow.  Apparently he was removed from the game vs Honduras due to a migraine.

10 minutes ago, Corazon said:

• 2 players tested positive for Covid so the team was unable to attend training at the club tonight.  Not sure if that means that they didn't get a session in tonight or not but they are scheduled to train there again tomorrow.
  • Apparently a couple players vaccines weren't recognized by Canada.  Unsure of the players and what that means for their eligibility.
  • Zavaleta is fit to play tomorrow.  Apparently he was removed from the game vs Honduras due to a migraine.

They only brought 20 players according to their twitter post. Hopefully it hasn't spread further. 

I assume some players got the Russian or Chinese vaccine?

I assume the government of Ontario or the feds won't arrive after kickoff to stop the match Brazilian-style! 🤔 

14 minutes ago, Corazon said:

Theyre staying at the mariott downtown and training in cambridge? 

17 minutes ago, king1010 said:

Theyre staying at the mariott downtown and training in cambridge? 

I can't confirm the hotel they are staying at but I can confirm the training in Cambridge is legit.  Like I said, they were not able to train at the club tonight as planned due to some Covid issues but I was advised a representative from the ES team facetimed the club in Cambridge to confirm cancellation of tonight's training.  And apparently all 100% good to train tomorrow at the club.

5 minutes ago, narduch said:

It doesn't look like it's downtown. Maybe airport area

It's the Skydome Hotel.  I know the condos in the background

That's a hike to train in Cambridge.  I hope Herdman's drone has sufficient range...

Edited by CanadianSoccerFan

8 minutes ago, CanadianSoccerFan said:

It's the Skydome Hotel.  I know the condos in the background

That's a hike to train in Cambridge.  I hope Herdman's drone has sufficient range...

Thanks. They one pic with the overhang seemed too big for downtown.

Seems kinda dumb to train in Cambridge, unless you enjoy sitting in traffic 

23 hours ago, Cheeta said:

I'll be surprised if we don't coast to 3 points Wednesday.

Coast.  

They're going to be on 2 points in the 1st window and maybe not out, but outside struggling to get in.

Or we'll get CONCACRAPed.  Whichever.

I wish I had your confidence. I think this could be a very tough match. El Salvador have drawn Honduras and USA, just like us. I think that means we can't assume we will coast to a win. Sure, maybe we manage to crack them open and get a multi goal win, but a draw or a loss is also pretty possible.