WCQ | Window 1 | Match Day 3: Canada vs El Salvador- Wednesday, Sept 8th, 7:30pm Eastern / 4:30pm Pacific - Toronto, BMO Field

Shway

31 minutes ago, Hawkguy said:

A couple times? He goes to ground when someone runs past him and he feels the wind on his back. He's soft and it'll cap his top level ability if he doesn't develop past that. 

And calling any unsportsmanlike play smart is a hard no from me. I wish refs would take more control of the game. The ref last night was much better than the ref from the Honduran game who let both teams get away with time wasting all night long.

Anyway, that's just my beliefs. No one has to agree with them!

How long have you watched us compete in Concacaf? I don't like it either but this is what we have been forced to do, don't blame our players, blame the federation and their biased, incompetent and corrupt referees! I commented at the match last night after Tajon had gone down again and all of the Blue ES fans were whistling, that we have finally gotten it when these supporters are mad at us for Concacafing!

Edited by gator

I’ll compromise and let some starters do 45 minutes in the Mexican altitude! But not more than that.  5 subs is an advantage this round for playing there.  

I also think we need to scout the Jamaica experience in playing Azteca followed by a game at home since we’ll do the same trip.  They came home and lost 3-0 and can’t be none too pleased.  

Just now, Ruud said:

Angles on tv rarely showed any Blue to be fair 

I don't think there was as many as some people thought, the blue shirts stood out because virtually all of their support wore them whereas a lot of casual Canadian fans are not rocking a Canadian jersey, the whole South End was packed with Canadian fans, if it's any indication as the fans funnelled to the train platforms the Red and White greatly outnumbered the Blue!

11 minutes ago, gator said:

How long have you watched us compete in Concacaf? I don't like it either but this is what we have been forced to do, don't blame our players, blame the federation and their biased, incompetent and corrupt referees! I commented at the match last night after Tajon had gone down again and all of the Blue ES fans were whistling, that we have finally gotten it when these supporters are mad at us for Concacafing!

Years and years and even more years. And I'll never support it regardless. No other player goes down that easily. Or if they do, they at least make it look good enough to question.

I disagree about having to do it. So many times Tajon could have just beat his guy but chose the ground instead. I have full faith he'll learn to go around that and make teams pay. I just hope it's sooner than later. Like I said though, if he's going to do it... At least learn how to fall and make it convincing. Because going down to ground because of the cool Toronto breeze with no one touching him is quite embarrassing. 

On the bright side, at least I was at the game so I didn't have to listen to Wheeler screaming how Tajon's dives should be penalties lol

Edited by Hawkguy

17 minutes ago, Ruud said:

I’ll compromise and let some starters do 45 minutes in the Mexican altitude! But not more than that.  5 subs is an advantage this round for playing there.  

I also think we need to scout the Jamaica experience in playing Azteca followed by a game at home since we’ll do the same trip.  They came home and lost 3-0 and can’t be none too pleased.  

The difference is that they used a completely different squad at home. Clearly that "rotation" didn't help them very much. 

1 hour ago, Hawkguy said:

A couple times? He goes to ground when someone runs past him and he feels the wind on his back. He's soft and it'll cap his top level ability if he doesn't develop past that. 

And calling any unsportsmanlike play smart is a hard no from me. I wish refs would take more control of the game. The ref last night was much better than the ref from the Honduran game who let both teams get away with time wasting all night long.

Well I hate to pile on but he definitely took a lot of abuse. At one point when he went up for a header he got karate kicked in the back of the leg taking his feet out from under him and slamming on the ground. I would say that and at least one other of the fouls should have been straight reds for fouls on Tajon. 

i think he did pretty well given the circumstances. And it’s totally fair game to play for a foul if you’re getting slaughtered cause that’s an effective tactic (if the officials actually called the game properly). Unfortunately they didn’t but he got out with a goal and an assist. Highly effective overall.

1 hour ago, RS said:

He also designed the U-Sector logo and several of their scarves, plus the first Red Patch Boys scarf. He was a giant in Canadian soccer fandom.

And he was a great participant on this board, always a pleasure. I never met him but many here did, and frankly, to be honest, if we were ever to do a fan award, an award created by the Voyageurs for fan initiatives--an idea I think could work--I would put his name on it. 

The other person, who I never met but was key for the Vs, was Reza in Edmonton. I just think that to credit and honour these people is well worth it. 

I had no issues with the Salvadoran fans, there was oddly someone with a large Costa Rica flag near us that was waving it often.  On the way out there was an awkward scene where an older Salvadoran man with his family was actually giving the thumbs up to some boisterous kids and told them in Spanish that it was great to see them sing loudly. This is they were chanting 'this is our house" (which I like) with the response "get the fuck out" (not my fave admittedly). Of course this was lost on both parties, I think I only caught it.

In regards to the crowd, almost every single Salvadorian fan wore blue while the casual Canadian fans did not wear red and I think this makes a little bit of a difference.  My parents came to the game and I had requested they wear red but neither have it in their wardrobe.  I was able to give my father a jersey to wear and my mother a white Canada shirt to wear.

I thought the Salvadorian fans were very respectful and I saw many of them wearing their blue jerseys but were also carrying a Canada flag or something red to support both.  Do not see that with too many visiting fans normally.  A very prideful country but based on the many Salvadorian friends I have, they will be supporting Canada every other game not against the ES.

Jesus, all those El Salvador fans have completely wound up the Voyageurs on Twitter.

I have my theories, as well as my own case. Firstly, we must analyze if these Salvadorians were born here, if they just work here, if their parents were born here, etc.

Secondly, keep in mind that El Salvador has always had a bigger footy culture than Canada. Perhaps not a bigger history as they've been average to bad for most of time, but the football culture has always been there. That's always been more appealing. Canada not having a league, not even having a professisonal team til about 2007, has not helped. I honestly cannot blame them and think that these sort of things come with time, with how everything is changing in the footy community here in Canada.

I am not CanMNT at all. I am just a bandwagoner. If they go to the World Cup, or play in the Gold Cup or Octo, I will sympathize. However, I was not born here. My family isn't Canadian. Even if Canada were regular World Cup winners, I wouldn't support them over Peru, even though I love this country and think I am here for life now.

I was born in Peru, my parents and grandparents were born in Peru, and everyone after that was born in the UK. So I have my pick, and also Peru's football history appealed a lot more.

Now, if you were born in Canada, your parents were born in Canada, you don't have an excuse. That's the sort of people that get to me. None of this "my grandfather is Italian" shite. I know USA has had to deal with those sorts of people even when they were in World Cups.

2 hours ago, Hawkguy said:

Theo would never do such things, am I right???

I haven't been through every post in this thread but I just wanted to point out that Laryea, Johnston and Borjan played every single minute of every single match.

We can't count on the same situation with two away games (one at altitude in Mexico and then one in the heat and humidity in Jamaica) and Laryea on a yellow card.

The 23 man squad with only 22 players for this match did work out but we will need more players for the next window.

---

7 minutes ago, Ingham said:

I am not CanMNT at all. I am just a bandwagoner.

To be on the bandwagon is by definition to be a fan (just a latecomer). You're fan hermano and we are happy to have you ;)

7 minutes ago, Ingham said:

Jesus, all those El Salvador fans have completely wound up the Voyageurs on Twitter.

I have my theories, as well as my own case. Firstly, we must analyze if these Salvadorians were born here, if they just work here, if their parents were born here, etc...

Many were born here. I spoke with two guys (early 20s?) That came down from Montreal for the match and were all in blue. Both were born in Canada and had never lived in El Salvador.

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille

1 minute ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

I haven't been through every post in this thread but I just wanted to point out that Laryea, Johnston and Borjan played every single minute of every single match.

We can't count on the same situation with two away games (one at altitude in Mexico and then one in the heat and humidity in Jamaica) and Laryea on a yellow card.

The 23 man squad with only 22 players for this match did work out 

---

To be on the bandwagon is by definition to be a fan (just a latecomer). You're fan hermano and we are happy to have you ;)

Many were born here. I spoke with two guys (early 20s?) That came down from Montreal for the match and were all in blue. Both were born in Canada and had never lived in El Salvador.

I'd be happy to go to games mate, just as long as they don't conflict with Peru matches. I love this country a lot, but I identify more with my Peruvian side since I was born there and lived 7 years of my life in Lima.

32 minutes ago, Ingham said:

I'd be happy to go to games mate, just as long as they don't conflict with Peru matches. I love this country a lot, but I identify more with my Peruvian side since I was born there and lived 7 years of my life in Lima.

It's a Peru matchday and you're talking about Canada soccer. I think you may be in denial about how big of a Canada fan you are ;) 

16 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

It's a Peru matchday and you're talking about Canada soccer. I think you may be in denial about how big of a Canada fan you are ;) 

Haha, don’t get me wrong I’m definitely a sympathizer, but it’s not that shocking to talk about Canada on a Canadian forum 😅