WCQ | Window 1 | Match Day 3: Canada vs El Salvador- Wednesday, Sept 8th, 7:30pm Eastern / 4:30pm Pacific - Toronto, BMO Field

Shway

Canada faces Mexico next on October 7th and honestly playing in Mexico if we do play at the Azteca...it is going to have to take a herculean effort to beat Mexico in Mexico. At best, best we can hope for in that match is to get a point and draw with Mexico.

Then after that, we face the Reggae Boyz of Jamaica on October 10th in Jamaica on the road which will not be an easy game.

And then the final game in October on the 13th we face Panama at home. Now this game is basically going to be the real kicker also.

11 hours ago, OhCanadaOhBaby said:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CTlY6_YlhMn/?utm_medium=copy_link

Eat your heart out… long live the KING!! Hehehe

Honestly, just re watched the game this morning. After having to listen to Caldwell with TSN vs USA much rather have Wheels.  

Maybe he knew he was on Sportsnet but he definitely held back a bit, compared to some of those early qualifiers. I mean still pure homerism but Dunfield kept him in check. 

Wheels over Caldwell for me. :)

54 minutes ago, Approve My Account Pls said:

Just some next morning thoughts. Although having the crowd be 50/50 was tough, I will say in a way I almost preferred having it be 100% engaged fans as opposed to that other 50% being casuals with no passion for the game. That El Salvador anthem was very cool to see and I think made the rest of us sing louder for the Canadian anthem. I do think a lot of these same fans will turn up in red next time because they are football fans first (ie the guy in front of me with the El Salvador jersey and the tattoo sleeve with a giant maple leaf in the middle). 

That being said, I do think there's a role that the V's and other fans need to play to try and be more engaging and less niche to try and attract the average Canadian to the games. I'm not sure what that would look like, but sometimes it feels like people on here can be gatekeepers rather than welcoming to the bandwagoners, which are the people we need to pack our stadiums.

Edit: one additional point I noticed attending both home matches: these boys ride for one another. Any hard foul, not only do the players on the field back their boy, but the bench is immediately on the sideline. May be a small detail, but I absolutely love to see it. Surprisingly, for his minimal contribution, Wotherspoon seems to be one of the first to the sideline every time.

Hopefully more of the general sports fan will get on board . I was at my cottage for the US game this past Sunday. The family next door to us a family big on hockey with one young son who is a very good hockey player and a family that is into sports had no clue that Canada was playing a big World Cup qualifying game against the US, and these are people big into sports . Moreover, the wife once we mentioned that Canada was playing a big game that night told us that she works with the mother of a player that as she put it had just got drafted in Belgium to play professionally soccer there . Of course she was talking about Tajon Buchanan lol, but incredibly knew nothing about the big game that was to take place . Hopefully this team can eventually get people like this engaged to the point where they at least know the team is playing and maybe even watching them play on TV or even live.

4 hours ago, SpecialK said:

You know Arfield was gonna play in the gold cup but got hurt right, Herdman confirmed it? Also he wanted to play in this window but herdman didn’t call him up. Plus we will probably see him in the October window. Before you rip a player who has to played for Canada 19 times ( a bunch of times in key matches) and was basically the man of match vs the USA win who is 32 years older with a very young family and has been getting hurt lately because of the ton of football he has been playing. 
Sometimes I wonder what’s wrong with Canadian fans sometimes. 

The thing that bothers me about Arfield is how some have made him into some sort of prima donna who is a bit of a jerk and not well liked at all.   Sure, I think some players were a bit put out that he chose family and club.  I'm sure that was a tough decision.  Gerrard has been pressuring him a lot.  He's not a young player anymore and his earning years are limited.

When I hear Gerrard talk about Arfield he talks about Arfield being the hardest worker in training and on match day.  Arfield does a lot for charity.  You hear him interviewed and he seems soft spoken and shy.  Some players might have been put out by his decision, but I don't think if he's brought back into the fold he's a guy players can't get along with.  He seems like a very likeable person.

If this window has taught us anything, 3 games is a lot.  We were fortunate with injuries.  What happens if we have a window where 3 or 4 players go down early with injuries.  I hope Arfield is brought into the fold again in future windows.  The more players of quality on the team, the better.

9 hours ago, The Beaver 2.0 said:

We have to start engaging these fans and ask them to come out and cheer with us when we play our mutual enemies. Salvadoran certainly do not need much encouragement to cheer against Mexico, Panama and Honduras, right? And the US.  They don't have to stop cheering for their home countries, but come out and cheer for your adopted country when we are battling the mutual enemy. That should be our tack. Let's start converting the masses.

It's great you say that. My brother made some friendly Canadian chirps... Similar which was mentioned by someone else.

Whenever he heard somewhere wearing blue speaking English, he said "speaking English eh, wrong jersey buddy".... Lots of different replies almost all positive "next time, I know, you guys are so good etc etc."

Really think we will see big chunk of those fans wear red now at home vs Panama. Everyone likes a winner and I think most at last night's game are living in Canada.

Was at the game. Throughly enjoyed myself. The atmosphere was great but I think the early goals deflated the El Salvador fans which made it not quite as fun from at atmosphere perspective. 

Really important 3 points. Sucks that Davies missed out because another few goals for goal differential would be nice. 

Next window could be a lot harder. Not sure if leagues will allow players to go to Mexico next month of COVID cases keep rising. Obviously that hurts both teams but it hurts us more. 

I really hope Arfield is recalled going forward. I know Hoilett was upset - but get over it. He's an important piece to the puzzle. He makes us that much better. 

Alistair Johnston became my favourite player over these three games. He's an absolute destroyer who never gives up. I absolutely love that in a defender. He's so good. He's my second name on any teamsheet after Davies. We have nothing that comes close to replacing him. 

David was fantastic. Nothing more needs to be said there. Also thought Vitoria played very well. 

Now onto Tajon. He had a very good game. But my god man stay on your feet. It's embarrassing. He looked like the Honduran team last night. A piece of grass could touch him and he'd go to ground. When he learns to stay on his feet and use that space they're giving him by playing him so close - he's going to be absolutely deadly. I don't know if he needs more strength or if it's a mentality thing. I believe it's the latter. He's going to be fantastic player instead of a very good one if he can develop that. 

Very happy with the performance overall. Was nice to see Cavallini get some time after having some injury trouble. 

Onto the next set!

First off, long time Canada supporter (I was at Varsity Stadium in the ‘93 final qualifier vs Mexico when there were 3,000 Canadians and 20,000 Mexicans. I stood on my seat and cheered proudly). No problem with the 40% wearing blue last night - they never booed Canada and simply came together because they respectfully love their roots - it just made us cheer that much louder and further soak up a magical climate! ...  I just joined the V’s 2 months ago to get a little more hyped and informed about the going-ons and also to increase my odds of attending the home qualifiers. Anyway I drove in from three hours away for last night’s game (as well as the Honduras match). I had soooooooo much fun, from the moment of arrival 3 1/2 hours before kick-off in the Liberty Village bars, to meeting fellow Canadian fans and travellers, to bellowing out our support at the top of our lungs, and of course being treated to a long sought after spectacle of football dominance by the boys in Red! Sooooooo pumped for the remaining 11 games, so much so that I’ll eagerly be at my monitor when the Panama tickets are released and  am seriously considering a jaunt out to Edmonton and/or Vancouver to cheer on Canada in future matches. Magical!

I was so impressed by how the team has handled departures and injuries (Davies, Larin, Arfield) last night, but also how they established a precedence for this during the Gold Cup. Another key area of impressiveness for me has been the mature play of the team defensively. What a rapid rise Johnston has displayed; so cool under pressure and never rattled. Borjan’s leadership, Atiba’s timely return, Tajon’s raw yet refined athletic tenacity, Herdman’s injection of positivity and belief .... I could go on and on and on but I think we all feel our time has come and the opportunity to strike is now... the next few years will be the most exciting Canadians fans have ever seen. ‘Bout f*&#ing time; where have you been all these years? 

Ha! Time to finally hit the Aztec-o as hungry red predators! 

I think people like a winner. I was out with a group of "latinos" stupid term but whatever. Of course I forced the topic to cmnt team. Most them watched the US game but didnt realize Canada had just played. They were pumped for Canada and as I showed them the standings and everything they were fully invested. 100% were in to go to whatever game eventually comes to Vancouver. I think people are proud to be Canadian why wouldn't they be but like every sort of person people like winners and truthfully we've sucked in the past. Thats just the truth

I dont think it takes much selling to get people behind this team

Edited by SpursFlu

The topic of excessive numbers of foreign support at canada games has always been a touchy subject.  Mostly because of that inclination to point fingers at one locale versus another.  In the past (prior to last night) some singled out Toronto for this and used it as argument not to play there.  From what i had observed and argued, most of cliams were either false, vastly exagerated or no worst (in some cases better) than elsewhere in Canada.  This was from my personal experience. 

But last night.  Yes.  The visitor support looked to make up at least 50%.   I dont know about two thirds but i wont argue it.  

12 minutes ago, Hawkguy said:

Was at the game. Throughly enjoyed myself. The atmosphere was great but I think the early goals deflated the El Salvador fans which made it not quite as fun from at atmosphere perspective. 

Really important 3 points. Sucks that Davies missed out because another few goals for goal differential would be nice. 

Next window could be a lot harder. Not sure if leagues will allow players to go to Mexico next month of COVID cases keep rising. Obviously that hurts both teams but it hurts us more. 

I really hope Arfield is recalled going forward. I know Hoilett was upset - but get over it. He's an important piece to the puzzle. He makes us that much better. 

Alistair Johnston became my favourite player over these three games. He's an absolute destroyer who never gives up. I absolutely love that in a defender. He's so good. He's my second name on any teamsheet after Davies. We have nothing that comes close to replacing him. 

David was fantastic. Nothing more needs to be said there. Also thought Vitoria played very well. 

Now onto Tajon. He had a very good game. But my god man stay on your feet. It's embarrassing. He looked like the Honduran team last night. A piece of grass could touch him and he'd go to ground. When he learns to stay on his feet and use that space they're giving him by playing him so close - he's going to be absolutely deadly. I don't know if he needs more strength or if it's a mentality thing. I believe it's the latter. He's going to be fantastic player instead of a very good one if he can develop that. 

Very happy with the performance overall. Was nice to see Cavallini get some time after having some injury trouble. 

Onto the next set!

Tajon may have gone down easy a couple of times but he was literally getting kicked around the park.  He received at least 3 fouls that should have been yellows and one could easily have been a red (the stomp).  Giving the ref an opportunity to give you a friendly call or two after that is smart, not soft IMO.  Now, I think there are times when he could have passed the ball a bit earlier,  it that is a separate issue.  

I had an amazing time in 113 last night, the match couldn't have played out any better with those early goals breaking the ES team and their fans spirit! Our midfield was dominant last night, that formation worked great for us, we really were only under pressure briefly near the end of the first half, they were getting 1 on 1 matchups on the wings but we held up nicely! That was some of the loudest support I have heard in the South Stands, whenever ES fans tried to get any chants or cheers going we drowned them out with boos and serenading them out of the stadium with Nah, na nah nah and This is Our House was great! I think the only solution to controlling the away crowds is just this, keep winning to get more Canadian support and drown them out with spirited fanatical support!

12 minutes ago, Wayverider said:

First off, long time Canada supporter (I was at Varsity Stadium in the ‘93 final qualifier vs Mexico when there were 3,000 Canadians and 20,000 Mexicans. I stood on my seat and cheered proudly). No problem with the 40% wearing blue last night - they never booed Canada and simply came together because they respectfully love their roots - it just made us cheer that much louder and further soak up a magical climate! ...  I just joined the V’s 2 months ago to get a little more hyped and informed about the going-ons and also to increase my odds of attending the home qualifiers. Anyway I drove in from three hours away for last night’s game (as well as the Honduras match). I had soooooooo much fun, from the moment of arrival 3 1/2 hours before kick-off in the Liberty Village bars, to meeting fellow Canadian fans and travellers, to bellowing out our support at the top of our lungs, and of course being treated to a long sought after spectacle of football dominance by the boys in Red! Sooooooo pumped for the remaining 11 games, so much so that I’ll eagerly be at my monitor when the Panama tickets are released and  am seriously considering a jaunt out to Edmonton and/or Vancouver to cheer on Canada in future matches. Magical!

I was so impressed by how the team has handled departures and injuries (Davies, Larin, Arfield) last night, but also how they established a precedence for this during the Gold Cup. Another key area of impressiveness for me has been the mature play of the team defensively. What a rapid rise Johnston has displayed; so cool under pressure and never rattled. Borjan’s leadership, Atiba’s timely return, Tajon’s raw yet refined athletic tenacity, Herdman’s injection of positivity and belief .... I could go on and on and on but I think we all feel our time has come and the opportunity to strike is now... the next few years will be the most exciting Canadians fans have ever seen. ‘Bout f*&#ing time; where have you been all these years? 

Ha! Time to finally hit the Aztec-o as hungry red predators! 

Just want to say welcome aboard.  It is great to have people either coming into the fold, or choosing to engage in new ways (like participation here).   

It seems like there have been a number of “hey I’m new here” posts lately so hopefully it is a sign of things to come.  

10 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

Tajon may have gone down easy a couple of times but he was literally getting kicked around the park.  He received at least 3 fouls that should have been yellows and one could easily have been a red (the stomp).  Giving the ref an opportunity to give you a friendly call or two after that is smart, not soft IMO.  Now, I think there are times when he could have passed the ball a bit earlier,  it that is a separate issue.  

A couple times? He goes to ground when someone runs past him and he feels the wind on his back. He's soft and it'll cap his top level ability if he doesn't develop past that. 

And calling any unsportsmanlike play smart is a hard no from me. I wish refs would take more control of the game. The ref last night was much better than the ref from the Honduran game who let both teams get away with time wasting all night long.

Anyway, that's just my beliefs. No one has to agree with them!

Edited by Hawkguy

Maybe we should stop calling for matches in New Brunswick and the Yukon... I support having Nov in Edmonton and Jan in Van, but hopefully this enough proof for the "BMO = Bad" community 

To quote the GOAT Masai, "Believe in this city. Believe in yourself." F*** whoever wants to come cheer against us at BMO, we're not a B level team in this confederation anymore.

Edited by Approve My Account Pls

9 minutes ago, Hawkguy said:

And calling any unsportsmanlike play smart is a hard no from me. I wish refs would take more control of the game. The ref last night was much better than the ref from the Honduran game who let both teams get away with time wasting all night long.

Anyway, that's just my beliefs. No one has to agree with them!

I think many on here have argued that same thing at one point or another but the reality is that our regional opponents tend to play a certain way to gain an unfair advantage over opponents who try to play “the right way”.    It is no coincidence that we call it CONCACAFing.  And for years (like decades) we refused to stoop to their level and were strong in the feeing that we had done the right thing - as we watched Honduras, Panama, and Costa Rica play in the World Cup.  Now, most of us  are just a bit more pragmatic.  If everyone of our opponents play a certain way, and the refs buy into it and reward them for it, we would be smart to play the game the way it is played on the region.  That doesn’t mean the full blown douchebaggery of a Honduras or El Salvador, but if it means not fighting like hell to stay on your feet when going down can earn your team a dangerous free kick (or staying on the ground a bit longer to make sure he knows that piece of shot kicked you hard) then so be it.  

Just now, dyslexic nam said:

I think many on here have argued that same thing at one point or another but the reality is that our regional opponents tend to play a certain way to gain an unfair advantage over opponents who try to play “the right way”.    It is no coincidence that we call it CONCACAFing.  And for years (like decades) we refused to stoop to their level and were strong in the feeing that we had done the right thing - as we watched Honduras, Panama, and Costa Rica play in the World Cup.  Now, most of us  are just a bit more pragmatic.  If everyone of our opponents play a certain way, and the refs buy into it and reward them for it, we would be smart to play the game the way it is played on the region.  That doesn’t mean the full blown douchebaggery of a Honduras or El Salvador, but if it means not fighting like hell to stay on your feet when going down can earn your team a dangerous free kick (or staying on the ground a bit longer to make sure he knows that piece of shot kicked you hard) then so be it.  

The problem is most of the spots he tried to get them aren't dangerous. Whereas him learning to beat that man who is playing him too tightly opens up way more dangerous attacking opportunities.

It also leaves us one man short going back. 

Regardless, if you're going to be unsportsmanlike and dive... at least make it look good and like you were actually murdered on the field. 

8 minutes ago, Approve My Account Pls said:

Maybe we should stop calling for matches in New Brunswick and the Yukon... I support having Nov in Edmonton and Jan in Van, but hopefully this enough proof for the "BMO = Bad" community 

To quote the GOAT Masai, "Believe in this city. Believe in yourself." F*** whoever wants to come cheer against us at BMO, we're not a B level team in this confederation anymore.

Alberta may lose out on hosting because of COVID alone.