Jump to content

WCQ: USA vs Canada - Sunday, Sept 5th, 8pm Eastern / 5pm Pacific - Nashville


Recommended Posts

13 minutes ago, AvroArrow said:

Let's not make McKennie some kind of warrior against oppression.  He was asked to play for the national team for around a week, and as part of that he was asked to stay in some kind of COVID bubble for 7ish days.  Yes, the bubble may be overly cautious but its a risk/reward scenario.  The risk here is that a good chunk of your roster gets infected and you can't field a team.  And then you look like a bunch of dopes because all you had to do was avoid crowds for 7 days and wear some masks.  How would we react if 6 of our guys couldn't play vs. El Salvador because they went out for dinner downtown and caught COVID from their waiter?

This is all voluntary.  You can't follow these rules, then don't come.  It's that simple.

**edit** I can't type.

Nobody is making Weston out to be a warrior against oppression. If he didn't like the rules GB has for the team he should have left camp or not accepted a call in the first place. That is what makes him selfish as it put his team in a bad spot (to our delight).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

From the clip of every other guy getting of the bus with a mask (prob 30 people), and he is the only one not following the rules tells you all you need to know.  Its funny how the world has gotten so F#CKED the last few years.  I see a guy breaking the rules and I think asshole, selfish.  I dont care if its be on time to meetings, do the space visualization room with herdman, wear a suit and tie on the team bus, be in your hotel room at 11 (not with a lady friend) and if you dissappear for the night dont bother coming back.   

More importantly this says everything you need to know about their weak culture and lack of leadership. This is precisely why I doubted those who proclaimed the Americans were the team to beat.

This isn't a FIFA video game.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

But some people see it as fighting against oppression, or some bullshit about "rights".  

Okay, I see the confusion here. I was not saying McKennie is in the right, I was not even saying he's fighting the system. How the hell do I know if he has any motivations beyond "I am a selfish prick who the rules don't apply to"?

My aside about generally having respect for those who don't follow stupid rules is being taken out of context. That is why I specifically said "wider context".

I have zero respect for McKennie in this particular instance, to be absolutely clear. 

I am happy he threw his team into turmoil. It's to our advantage for them to fail. Plus I dislike so much about their team, from the smug attitude from guys like Aaronson to the the toxicity of their fanbase.

McKennie is very much on brand for this group of losers.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On one hand I can sympathize with McKennie, I also break rules that I think are stupid, including some federal laws, because I am able to make good decisions for myself and I know how to govern my own life. This also makes me virtually unemployable and I do not work well under so-called superiors. I also think that someone who blindly follows what authorities tell them to do are just as bad as someone who refuses to do something that is clearly the best course of action just because they're being told to do so. We have plenty of both ends of the spectrum in the current covid situation. The bottom line though is that actions have consequences, and if I was on the USMNT and was asked to follow rules that I disagreed with for the duration of one week in order to be in an extremely privileged situation, I would 100% bite the bullet and do as I was told. McKennie didn't, and he's facing the consequences. Looking back, I'm sure he regrets that decision, but that's life. The cost of education is not cheap sometimes.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, frmr said:

On one hand I can sympathize with McKennie, I also break rules that I think are stupid, including some federal laws, because I am able to make good decisions for myself and I know how to govern my own life. This also makes me virtually unemployable and I do not work well under so-called superiors. I also think that someone who blindly follows what authorities tell them to do are just as bad as someone who refuses to do something that is clearly the best course of action just because they're being told to do so. We have plenty of both ends of the spectrum in the current covid situation. The bottom line though is that actions have consequences, and if I was on the USMNT and was asked to follow rules that I disagreed with for the duration of one week in order to be in an extremely privileged situation, I would 100% bite the bullet and do as I was told. McKennie didn't, and he's facing the consequences. Looking back, I'm sure he regrets that decision, but that's life. The cost of education is not cheap sometimes.

Perfectly put. Sums up my thoughts on it nicely.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, red card said:

Besides the quietish crowd at Nashville, US tv ratings for the match also disappointed. 

Spanish language ratings not available yet but match overlapped a bit with Mexico. NWSL match earlier in the day on CBS got 442k.

 

wow thats abysmal...only double the viewers that TSN4 got

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, 99bottlesofkvass said:

So if Canada doesn't beat the US at home should Herdman be fired or be on the hot seat? The US and Jamaica could be the weakest opponents and not winning against them should be a disappointment.

Bro you're going to be banned again. You're polluting the forum with this repeatitive crap

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, 99bottlesofkvass said:

So if Canada doesn't beat the US at home should Herdman be fired or be on the hot seat? The US and Jamaica could be the weakest opponents and not winning against them should be a disappointment.

This is the last post I will see of yours.  I tried explaining why people ignore you.  Turns out your really are just a dick.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Dr.Dre said:

Really nice testimony from Charlie Davies on team protocole and Weston McKennie. Won’t lie, I had a tear or two. 

Yea I liked Charlie Davies, back when he was having fun scoring and doing stanky leg celebrations. His story is exactly the story guys should hear about making decisions that could affect their careers. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/8/2021 at 1:47 PM, Obinna said:

Nobody is making Weston out to be a warrior against oppression. If he didn't like the rules GB has for the team he should have left camp or not accepted a call in the first place. That is what makes him selfish as it put his team in a bad spot (to our delight).

Yeah, he could have done a graceful pass on the invite, endless number of off-the-shelf polite excuses available for that but he didn't.  He came to camp.  

Honestly don't know if he cares one way or the other if he plays for the USMNT.  At this point things may have gone on to grow into a life of their own, gotten away on both parties and we're into what is effectively a pissing match, but it is what it is.  He won't be the 1st player to take a holiday from international duty because he thought the boss was a prick who wasn't going anywhere and would just wait out that tenure.  And he won't be the last.

Speaking academically, and this particular instance may be a bad example but sometimes those "bad apples" are not bad apples at all.  They're the "canary in the coal mine" you'd be wise to pay attention to. 

Spare me the pillary! I wrote this particular case may be bad example of that.   

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share


×
×
  • Create New...