WCQ: USA vs Canada - Sunday, Sept 5th, 8pm Eastern / 5pm Pacific - Nashville

8 minutes ago, lenny said:

Is Cavalini ready to go?  Sounds like he was on the bench for Honduras, but he doesn't show up on the sheet?

Rotate heavily, use all our subs to bring on fresh Davies, David, Larin, Eustaquio, and maybe give Johnston a short shift.

831780262_Screenshot-2021-09-04T094931_911.png.082b9f0a4594a4befc6063cc88020c08.png

generally agree but Adekugbe can’t play that high enough on the pitch IMO - would have to be Oso there. 

I could be wrong but I just can’t see Cav starting any match in this window 

1 minute ago, Floortom said:

generally agree but Adekugbe can’t play that high enough on the pitch IMO - would have to be Oso there. 

I could be wrong but I just can’t see Cav starting any match in this window 

I see him only as a sub in the final 20 mins or so.

If I throw out 4 as the number of starter changes for this one, how many of you would go over, under, or exact on that?

I think we need to start an 11 of the most F- you mentality players we can. I think that's our best bet to score early and then play smart. IMO that means more or less running out the starting XI from the GC Semi Finals. I think the most essential pieces to this are starting Laryea again, running a mid 3 of Eustaquio, Oso, Kaye, and then put literally anyone else in the other positions. Health permitting you either run Cav or Larin with Hoilett, then evaluate the match at 60 mins and bring Davies, David to wreak havoc on a tired defence

On a side note, I feel bad for Adekugbe. I think he's looked really good when he has played, but it's hard to take Davies, Laryea, Buchanan out of that left side. If only he could play LCB...

I just don't think a back 3 works against good teams. We're very predictable in that format and good teams will counter it.

This works against teams against whom we're flat out stronger.

It was obvious when we switched to 4-4-2 against both US and Mexico after the 1st half. We looked way more comfortable in that formation and we could rival strong teams.

Ideas for 4-4-2?

Are we bridging back the 4-2-2-2?

Edited by Ansem

I think we need to set up to stifle them defensively. Load up the midfield and set up our forwards to attack on the break. US did not look like a coherent unit against ES and while they have good players, they aren't looking like a great team. If we can shut them down defensively, which is doable, I think we can sneak out a result. David has to start this game because he is our most ruthless attacker on the break. Eustaquio has to start again, I think so does Davies. Bring in a couple of MLS midfielders to replace Buchanan and Atiba. If we stay compact and organized I think we can hopefully hurt them.

It is a must win game for them. We need to be smart and defensive and look to take our chances as they come. Doesn't mean just sit back but we can't bomb players forward because we will get caught out. 

Can't allow an early goal. The longer it stays 0-0 they more they will open up. If we are too aggressive and get scored on early then forget about it. 

Edited by canuckgbp

Armchair managering... cause that's what we do around here right...

Squad selection: It's a tough balance. ES is under-rated, can steel points from us at home; that truly is the must win game, which favours resting key players and taking what we can get in Nashville. At the same time, despite the displays of calm/positivity by both managers USA and Canada both under preformed in their openners. The Yanks will field their strongest 11 and come out at home with something to prove. But if you're Canada because of the subpar start in game 1, if you get rolled over by a fired up USMNT, it'll greatly affect moral and self-belief going into the ES game, and this favours playing some of our best players.

All-in-all I think we'll mostly see a rotated squad with a few exceptions, mostly on defence, but Herdman will go to his bench early.

Tactics: we got too cute last game (hope lessons have been learned there) and between that and the road game vs higher rated opponent factor I think we KISS this game. We'll probably start with our preferred 3 CB + wing backs formation, and try to clog the midfield and force them to play down the flanks. For all the hype around this team they still lack a decent 9 and seem to suffer from the traditional US deficiencies WRT breaking down organized defences.

To sum up, we rope-a-dope.

Injury and yellow card considerations: I'm going to assume Cavallini is likely not 100% match fit, so either he starts, with a plan to sub at 45 or I'd look to get him in around the 60-70th min to get him some game time. Vitoria is probably more needed against Jamaica then he is against ES, so I would start him and look for a tactical yellow late in the game. Unless someone's heard otherwise I'm guessing the Tajon ankle icebag siting isn't much.

Starting 11:

--------------------Hoilett---------------

---------------Osorio--------------------

------------------Spoony----------------

----------Kaye-------------Piette--------

--Adekugbe--------------------Laryea--

-------Kennedy--Vitoria--Johnston-----

------------------Borjan----------------

Substitutions: The above group's job is to weather the first half storm, with heavy rotation early in the second half. Specifically I would look to get Davies, Cavallini, and Eustaquio all on by the 60th minute, Henry on for Johnston (as for me he also starts against ES) by the 70th minute, and if we're down a goal Buchanan at around the 80th min. If we're level or up a goal I'd bring Hutch or Fraser on to shore up the midfield.

Edited by A_Gagne

First question from a guy who works for Fox (but is Canadian based in Montreal I believe) incorrectly said Canada's play won't be disjointed like the Americans because the team is same as the Gold Cup minus a couple of players.

Second to last question from a CBS's Andres Cantor called Canada's soccer complex, unpredictable & shifty. Laryea's role was something new he hadn't seen before.

I agree with playing a B+ side to start and saving some legs for El Salvador. I would start with this side

David - Hoilett

Osorio

Adekugbe - Kaye - Eustaquio - Laryea

Kennedy - Henry - Johnstone

Boran

That gives Davies (who ran a lot last match), Larin, Hutch and Buchanan a rest but they can be brought on in the last 20 to 30 minutes if it’s close.  As for Cav, again could come on late but my recollection is El Salvador is small and his physicality maybe better saved for them if needed.  I agree that we should have pencilled in 0 points from this match at the beginning and the more important one is to make sure we get the 3 at home against El Salvador.

I also think the US is very inexperienced together as a team and at World Cup qualifying. This is their first match at home and on the back of not a great performance.  The above line up can frustrate them for 45 to 60 minutes and has enough weapons to hurt them on the break.  And then you have Davies and Buchanan to come on run against tired legs with Hutch possibly on for Osorio late so higher up the pitch than against Honduras.  If we steal a point or god willing, 3, that is just a bonus.

1 hour ago, scullion44 said:

If I see another projected lineup without Alphonso Davies in it I might lose it. Surely there's no way he doesn't start? He can easily start these three games.

20 years old and one of the fittest soccer players on the planet.  If anyone can play all three it has to be him.

1 hour ago, scullion44 said:

If I see another projected lineup without Alphonso Davies in it I might lose it. Surely there's no way he doesn't start? He can easily start these three games.

Only worry is he needs to start and play most of the El Salvador game. That is must win. He just came back from an injury remember. Looks fully healed but that is another thing to think about. 

I think Eustaquio and Johnston have to start again. We need their quality against the USA. 

9 minutes ago, canuckgbp said:

Only worry is he needs to start and play most of the El Salvador game. That is must win. He just came back from an injury remember. Looks fully healed but that is another thing to think about. 

I think Eustaquio and Johnston have to start again. We need their quality against the USA. 

Good point about the injury but I think limiting him to 60 minutes is better than bringing him off the bench