WCQ: USA vs Canada - Sunday, Sept 5th, 8pm Eastern / 5pm Pacific - Nashville

I was on a B.C. Ferry coming back to Victoria from a soccer tournament today in the Lower Mainland. The game was being shown on the TV in the main upper deck lounge. What a site to see a bunch of kids and parents and friends who had been at a tournament able to watch Team Canada play live. All of them into it and talking about the players. I honestly never thought this day would come. Pretty awesome. 

3 hours ago, JohnnyFranchise said:

my 12 cents:

davies. when he uses his speed to run around guys he's successful (the goal), but too often he's trying to dribble through defenders and that's just not his game. he's obviously put a lot of pressure on himself as the highest-profile player on the team, but still needs to play his game. oh, and he's shocking at dead balls, he needs to never hit a dead ball ever again.

Many here are commenting that Davies made a bad throw back to Kennedy. I don't think that is really the reason for the screw up (Laryea was also out of position on the cover). But one thing I've seen: his throw-ins are poor. If you look at the game comments for the Bayern-Borussia Super Cup I mentioned this, his throw ins were very bad, to the wrong place always, and BM loses the ball off his throw ins frequently. 

No one is so good they can't be coached.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

37 minutes ago, JohnnyFranchise said:

first half for sure, but he was rock solid the second half. i made a comment at halftime that he was giving pulisic too much respect, that's what led to those fouls i think. second half he took it to pulisic. almost as if someone in the room gave him a "he's not that f*cking good, f*cking take it to him!".

Hard work but I give him more credit.  Sure, think he got off lucky with one or two there.  Also think he wasn't being clumbsy with one or two of those fouls either (one especially), he was message sending.  Thus, my assessment he got off lucky. 

Luck and malice are attributes I like to see in a defender.  Call me old fashioned.   

14 minutes ago, Boominbooty said:

I was on a B.C. Ferry coming back to Victoria from a soccer tournament today in the Lower Mainland. The game was being shown on the TV in the main upper deck lounge. What a site to see a bunch of kids and parents and friends who had been at a tournament able to watch Team Canada play live. All of them into it and talking about the players. I honestly never thought this day would come. Pretty awesome. 

I'm glad we were able to get to the final round so you could finally pro-create and have some kids. (If I misremember "no sex till the hex", apologies all around).

Just got caught up with the thread after watching the game on PVR.

Awesome result.  Sure we could have won it but we also could have lost it.  Taking a draw out of the US away game is a fantastic result.  And once again, the other results went amazing for us.  They now have to go to Honduras and we play ES at home.  I am in no way underestimating them, but we can get those three points against ES.  And the US could have a hard time leaving Honduras with points. That would put them in a very precarious position - even if they have lots more home games in future windows.  

Overall really happy with the result.  

Happy with the result but wish we could have pulled it out.  I thought Herdman had the tactics right today but I hope we go back to a 3 man midfield vs ES so we can control the game.  The official was good. Johnston somehow no yellow which I am happy about but I feel the ref missed the pk.  A little soft but that's a foul anywhere else on the pitch outside the box.

Borjan - Very good game once again.  Only thing he did wrong was one bad kick that ended up amounting to nothing.

Henry - Beast of a performance by him.

Johnston - Not his best game but still quite good.

Kennedy - Not his best game and also played a big role in USA's goal.  Frustrating that the only goal we gave up was caused by our mistake.

Adekugbe - I thought he was very good today.  As many other stated, particularly the 2nd half.  Great pass to set up Davies before our goal.

Laryea - Hot and cold performance in my opinion.  Too many poor passes and giveaways but still manages to create a lot for us.

Eustaquio - Another great performance.  Quiet but solid.

Kaye - Hot and cold as well for me.  Definitely improved and did better in the 2 man midfield than Atiba last game.

Junior - Overall pretty good game again but nothing special tonight.

Larin - Could and should have had a hat trick but continues to get the job done.

Davies - Very good performance again but definitely looking tired at times.

MIller - looked much better today.  Will be interesting to see who gets the start between him and Kennedy vs ES since I feel both players were weakest players for us in their starts.

Tajon - Looked dangerous.  Love the idea of him coming off the bench to terrorize defenders late in games.  Incredible run but the final pass/shot let him down.

David - Unfortunately quite non existent again today.

Osorio - Not a lot a time to contribute but wasn't great.

Atiba - Again, not a lot of time to contribute but thought he was good for the appearance.

6 minutes ago, JohnnyFranchise said:

so you're cool with him turning the ball over instead of using his pace to create scoring chances? 

Well it's hardly one or the other, if there's space he'll run into it. If the play is static and no one is finding space in the middle, he's entitled to try and FIFA Street his way through

1 minute ago, xcalibre said:

Well it's hardly one or the other, if there's space he'll run into it. If the play is static and no one is finding space in the middle, he's entitled to try and FIFA Street his way through

today it was one or the other. "fifa street" is not his game, if the run down the wing isn't there he needs to hit the reset button and keep possession. if he tried to "fifa street" it a bayern he'd be in bundesliga 3 right now.

Was looking for highlights this morning and all I could find was a 2 min video titled USA 1 - CAN 0. I was pretty bummed but got very excited when Canada did score. The highlights were a bit odd splicing together different commentaries. I think at one point a Spanish speaking commentator referred to Tajon as a tornado. 

16 minutes ago, Greatest Cockney Rip Off said:

Was looking for highlights this morning and all I could find was a 2 min video titled USA 1 - CAN 0. I was pretty bummed but got very excited when Canada did score. The highlights were a bit odd splicing together different commentaries. I think at one point a Spanish speaking commentator referred to Tajon as a tornado. 

Haha, something else was said I think.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kEbubTRlQgY

@ 1 min 52 secs

2 hours ago, JohnnyFranchise said:

during the gold cup someone on here said that laryea is the most concacaf player we've ever had. i can't watch him play without giggling now. 🤣

He's like a Theron Fleury or a Brad Marchand. He probably played hockey as a kid. He's that guy you hate playing against but love when he's punching Pulisic in the kidneys and getting under the opponents' skin.

Mostly a bunch of 20-something-year olds trying to talk trash.  Badly.    No big deal, though in the end, they ended up buying me a beer.

Most folks here were simply fascinated at the idea that someone might travel to support Canadian soccer. 

I was definitely caught off guard by the amount of messages I ended getting on my phone saying they spotted me.   

The heritage moment one made my head explode. 

Love the game ! Getting a point on the road and fighting back from 1-0 boom that was amazing. Herdman did a good job. Yes he did a good job haha. 

Going forward, I still believe we could be doing better. Defensively we are playing top football. Offensively I truly believe we’re struggling. Our midfielders can’t link up or be a threat. Now maybe it’s our tactics, the players out there ? I don’t know. I believe we have another gear we can go. I love Davies ! He’s amazing !!! He’s Canada’s soccer black Jesus ! ( MJ quote to Miller reference) but he needs help. If you watch the Canada game when we beat the US we played through the middle finding Davies with Speed, it was beautiful, same with the other WQC games, our midfield was way more active. I am sure Arfield is coming in Oct after this window so maybe that will fix things. 

After the two the games, It was huge mistake not to bring more players. We need to trust our depth. The thinking should be a brotherhood of 30 not just 23-24