WCQ: USA vs Canada - Sunday, Sept 5th, 8pm Eastern / 5pm Pacific - Nashville

3 minutes ago, trc2014 said:

Doubling down on my no Davies on Wednesday (for sure no start).  Is that also a Weston McKennie call out I hear? Haha

Davies is a 20 year old built like a Cyborg.  Get some fluids in him and into an ice bath.  I'd be shocked if he isn't starting against El Salvador.  I'll take that bet.

4 minutes ago, prairiecanuck said:

Davies is a 20 year old built like a Cyborg.  Get some fluids in him and into an ice bath.  I'd be shocked if he isn't starting against El Salvador.  I'll take that bet.

I’m with Platt and KJ - hope I’m wrong and he is a-ok, but also hope we don’t start him if that sours on relationship with BM and impacts them releasing him for future windows (blaming a small injury for example)

5 minutes ago, Scottie said:

It's also nice to have a post game show at all. Thinking back to the infamous 2007 Gold Cup semi where we got like one replay of the blown call on what should have been the tying goal, 30 seconds of Forrest and Dobson in disbelief and then that's it, good night!

Yeah, tip of the hat to One Soccer for caring and putting the effort in. You can tell it's people who actually love and care about the game in this country. Unlike *ahem* some media companies in this country. But to be fair to TSN they did pick up a game and gave it an hour pregame, and they were rewarded with broadcasting a great performance and a good result. I'm sure everybody's happy tonight! Except for greedy Herdman.

14 minutes ago, LeoH037 said:

I hate this, but I'm realllly rooting for the Yanks against Honduras... it would really ruin their opening round of games if they lost all points at home (despite getting 2 away points)

I'm not...if we miss this world cup, I'd want to take them with us 

my 12 cents:

borjan was solid

johnston had a shaky first half but excellent second half

henry was outstanding, amazing how good he can be when he actually stays on his feet and trusts his athleticism

kennedy was not good, but i don't hang their goal on him, davies never should have thrown the ball to him in that position

miller was great in relief of kennedy, which brings up a dilemma as both of them were shaky in their starts but great off the bench

eustaquio solid

kaye very good, much better than i expected from him

laryea was his usual concacaf sh*t-disturber self, love the way he's played these first 2 games

adekugbe very good

hoilette was good, but the timing of the sub to bring in buchanan was perfect and almost created a winner

larin played the way he should play, some good hold up play, and pached the goal

davies. when he uses his speed to run around guys he's successful (the goal), but too often he's trying to dribble through defenders and that's just not his game. he's obviously put a lot of pressure on himself as the highest-profile player on the team, but still needs to play his game. oh, and he's shocking at dead balls, he needs to never hit a dead ball ever again.

all in all, i couldn't be happier with the game, not just the result, but how our guys played and really could have stole a winner towards the end. i said the other day i though our guys were just too jacked up for the honduras game, i expect a much more composed performance on wednesday.

I thought Adekugbe and Steph were sneaky good tonight. Adekugbe sprang Davies up the wing on the goal and made a lot of nice passes. Eustaquio did that thing where he pops up behind every loose ball. 

Edited by PiedPilko

9 minutes ago, trc2014 said:

Doubling down on my no Davies on Wednesday (for sure no start).  Is that also a Weston McKennie call out I hear? Haha

Re: Davies, my first reaction was that his injury was time wasting and that it was probably planned for him to come off around the 75th min. But perhaps that was my wishful thinking. haha. we'lll see, but I wouldn't count him out for Wednesday.

As much as I ripped Herdman for his tactical choices last game, I think he got them right this game. He's definitely a thinking man, and I think he knew exactly what he was doing with his dig on McKennie, sticking the knife into a soar spot trying to give his side a mental edge in the next game. Most times when an opposing coach has a go at a team or it's players it can be turned around as motivation to get even next time, but hard to do that when the comment is about a player's indiscretion against a team rule.

54 minutes ago, BearcatSA said:

For those folks who religiously follow Fotmob, he was rated our weakest player at 6.3

I probably agree with that. I thought he was one of worse players.

I have never really followed fotmob but it definitely seems to be closer to my ratings than a lot the people on here.

24 minutes ago, JohnnyFranchise said:

my 12 cents:

borjan was solid

johnston had a shaky first half but excellent second half

henry was outstanding, amazing how good he can be when he actually stays on his feet and trusts his athleticism

kennedy was not good, but i don't hang their goal on him, davies never should have thrown the ball to him in that position

miller was great in relief of kennedy, which brings up a dilemma as both of them were shaky in their starts but great off the bench

eustaquio solid

kaye very good, much better than i expected from him

laryea was his usual concacaf sh*t-disturber self, love the way he's played these first 2 games

adekugbe very good

hoilette was good, but the timing of the sub to bring in buchanan was perfect and almost created a winner

larin played the way he should play, some good hold up play, and pached the goal

davies. when he uses his speed to run around guys he's successful (the goal), but too often he's trying to dribble through defenders and that's just not his game. he's obviously put a lot of pressure on himself as the highest-profile player on the team, but still needs to play his game. oh, and he's shocking at dead balls, he needs to never hit a dead ball ever again.

all in all, i couldn't be happier with the game, not just the result, but how our guys played and really could have stole a winner towards the end. i said the other day i though our guys were just too jacked up for the honduras game, i expect a much more composed performance on wednesday.

I agree with most of this. I didn’t think Kennedy had as bad a match as most others thought though 

And I definitely agree with the comments on Davies. As much as he is amazing going forward and created our goal, he has made a number of bonehead plays both matches and switches off a lot on defence. I really hope Herdman sits down with him and gets him to play a little more within himself and cuts out the mistakes. They will come back to haunt us at one point. 

Just now, BearcatSA said:

He took a number of fouls which undermines the score, I think.

first half for sure, but he was rock solid the second half. i made a comment at halftime that he was giving pulisic too much respect, that's what led to those fouls i think. second half he took it to pulisic. almost as if someone in the room gave him a "he's not that f*cking good, f*cking take it to him!".

1 minute ago, JohnnyFranchise said:

first half for sure, but he was rock solid the second half. i made a comment at halftime that he was giving pulisic too much respect, that's what led to those fouls i think. second half he took it to pulisic. almost as if someone in the room gave him a "he's not that f*cking good, f*cking take it to him!".

That's a good assessment.  When it's your first time against a guy of attacking quality like Pulisic (I'll give him his due), you need to get your sea legs, hence the fouls sometimes.  But his second half was strong.  

2 hours ago, trc2014 said:

This during a post-game scrimmage for the guys who did not get minutes, and, I think, maybe some with few minutes tonight. Like how we're making sure to not waste a game day, which always kills off training for those who need it. 

See my comment refers to the video clip of him doing this interview, where you can only see CMNT members, maybe 10-12, in a short pitch scrimmage.