Canada's New Ranking After the Olympics

Just saw this today.  Canada jumped 2 spots after our Olympic gold, so we are ranked #6 in the world. 

I honestly don't know how the point system works but I am seeing mixed comments, anywhere from "it's a fair system" to "it's not fair and we should be higher".  Again, I don't know enough to really add my own comments.  I just know that I'm sure it would help if we could score more goals. ;)

Then of course, there are people saying that USA shouldn't be the top team anymore.

Happy for Sweden that they are #2 in the rankings.  I hope the people in Sweden will be proud of this despite losing gold at the Olympics.  I personally am looking forward to seeing more of Sweden in the future.

https://www.fifa.com/fifa-world-ranking/women?dateId=ranking_20210820

Edited by Sinc_Tanc_Olympic_Action

• 2 weeks later...

FIFA is using ELO rating system using the results from the beginning of first Women's game...it's gets average out thru out the time.  As for Canada jumping to 2 spots is a fair reflection as they only won 2 games and drawn 4 times so getting "only" 59 points...winning PK has NO factor in additional ranking points.  Whereas Sweden won 5 games and drawn 1 hence a huge jump to 2nd with 78 points.  Had it been the same ranking system as Men's uses, then Canada would have jumped higher as they reward for winning in PK and lose no points from Quarter-Finals onwards.

On 8/31/2021 at 9:26 AM, Jedi Ram said:

FIFA is using ELO rating system using the results from the beginning of first Women's game...it's gets average out thru out the time.  As for Canada jumping to 2 spots is a fair reflection as they only won 2 games and drawn 4 times so getting "only" 59 points...winning PK has NO factor in additional ranking points.  Whereas Sweden won 5 games and drawn 1 hence a huge jump to 2nd with 78 points.  Had it been the same ranking system as Men's uses, then Canada would have jumped higher as they reward for winning in PK and lose no points from Quarter-Finals onwards.

Thank you for the explanation, Jedi Ram.  Interesting, so the men has a different ranking system.  I didn't really know how it worked, but I kind of figured that winning on PK's don't count considering that they are recorded as ties.  In other words, we need to score more and win more!

27 minutes ago, Sinc_Tanc_Olympic_Action said:

In other words, we need to score more and win more!

The women showed that you can win without scoring much, and it is winning that gets you the gold/championship.  Rankings are nice for bragging about, but they don't get you any hardware.

It would be good if the team started scoring more, but it doesn't seem to be a disaster if it isn't happening.

Rankings are essential for the seeding purposes for regional Confederation, Olympics and of course World Cup.  And yes to less extend - bragging rights.

Here is another interesting fact just for CONCACAF - Our Confederation has 41 members but only 35 of them are FIFA members and also only 31 members are IOC (Olympics) members.  Thus CONCACAF had to use their own ranking system to include all 41 members for Gold Cup but uses FIFA ranking for 31 members for Olympics and 41 members for World Cup.

https://www.concacaf.com/rankings/men-s-national-team/

There is a pull-down menu for other rankings as well.

22 hours ago, rkomar said:

The women showed that you can win without scoring much, and it is winning that gets you the gold/championship.  Rankings are nice for bragging about, but they don't get you any hardware.

It would be good if the team started scoring more, but it doesn't seem to be a disaster if it isn't happening.

For sure.  It doesn't matter how you win a tournament, as long as you win.  Not taking away their gold medal win in any way.

However, obviously scoring more goals would be more practical.  The example I have on top of my head is the 2015 World Cup quarterfinal against England.  We were down two goals and I remember some broadcaster commenting on how Canada must find a way because Canada had not scored more than one goal a game in that particular tournament.  We knew the ending.  We ended up only score one goal against England and that wasn't enough to beat them.  I was there, sitting at BC Place.  It was heartbreaking.

That was back in 2015 and I'm sure we've had better games than that, but just saying that we can't always win games by relying on PK's.  Glad we won gold in Tokyo.  To keep developing, let's work on scoring goals!

On 9/2/2021 at 2:12 PM, Sinc_Tanc_Olympic_Action said:

For sure.  It doesn't matter how you win a tournament, as long as you win.  Not taking away their gold medal win in any way.

However, obviously scoring more goals would be more practical.  The example I have on top of my head is the 2015 World Cup quarterfinal against England.  We were down two goals and I remember some broadcaster commenting on how Canada must find a way because Canada had not scored more than one goal a game in that particular tournament.  We knew the ending.  We ended up only score one goal against England and that wasn't enough to beat them.  I was there, sitting at BC Place.  It was heartbreaking.

That was back in 2015 and I'm sure we've had better games than that, but just saying that we can't always win games by relying on PK's.  Glad we won gold in Tokyo.  To keep developing, let's work on scoring goals!

Ahhhh, that sunny afternoon, I felt soooo cold sitting in sunshine at first row of upperbowl.   

Goodbuy Sesellmen...