New Competitions : CONCACAF W Qualifiers & CONCACAF Gold Cup

Ansem

Interesting.  The women's Gold Cup is new, and there's a mini Nations League format for qualifying.  The Gold Cup tournament itself will have 8 CONCACAF nations and 4 invited guests, which seems high on first glance but is probably a good idea considering the drop-off in quality after the top CONCACAF nations. 

9 minutes ago, Kent said:

Great news, but also I feel like I need to watch that video 6 or 7 more times before I feel like I know what is going on. Usually they are explaining one competition and it's not so bad, but this was tough.

https://dknation.draftkings.com/2021/8/19/22632881/world-cup-qualifying-concacaf-format-rules-paris-2024-olympics-womens-soccer

• The Concacaf W Championship will have eight teams (including Canada and US, who do not have to qualify), and will be held in June/July of 2022 at a location to be determined. The format is two groups of four, then semifinals and final.
  • All four teams that make the semifinals will qualify for the 2023 World Cup.
  • The two third-place teams in each group can also qualify via a home-and-away ties with teams from other confederations to be determined later.
  • The winner of the Concacaf W Championship, as well as the winner of a playoff between the team that loses the Championship Final and the team that wins the third place match, will both qualify for the 2024 Olympics and the 2024 W Gold Cup.
Edited by sstackho

3 hours ago, sstackho said:

https://dknation.draftkings.com/2021/8/19/22632881/world-cup-qualifying-concacaf-format-rules-paris-2024-olympics-womens-soccer

• The Concacaf W Championship will have eight teams (including Canada and US, who do not have to qualify), and will be held in June/July of 2022 at a location to be determined. The format is two groups of four, then semifinals and final.
  • All four teams that make the semifinals will qualify for the 2023 World Cup.
  • The two third-place teams in each group can also qualify via a home-and-away ties with teams from other confederations to be determined later.
  • The winner of the Concacaf W Championship, as well as the winner of a playoff between the team that loses the Championship Final and the team that wins the third place match, will both qualify for the 2024 Olympics and the 2024 W Gold Cup.

I just watched One Soccer Today, they had Victor Montagliani on talking about these new competitions. He sold the Olympic qualifying format well. In the past there has been a tournament and the two finalists make it to the Olympics. With this format the third place match and the final both still matter a lot.

• 2 weeks later...

It is a huge step forward for CONCACAF region as a whole and raise our standards to the levels seen in other regional Confederations.  It's long overdue as other Confederations already got Cup, Olympics Qualifying, and other regional competitions.

The only CON I see for Women's is the automatic BYE to the finals of the tournament is actually detrimental in terms of FIFA rankings as we often have trouble getting quality opponents for the friendlies and usually have lower points valuation compared to qualifying rounds.  Why is it important ?  It's important in terms of seeding for World Cup and to lesser extend the Olympics.  As long as we are in top 8, we will be seeded #1 for the group.  With so many Europe, Asia and South American teams playing in the qualifiers, it looks like Canada will slid out of top 8.   USA has already got 4 friendlies lined up in Sep and Oct.  Still waiting for Canada to announce, but looks increasingly unlikely.  Only way to stay in top 8 is for Canada to win W Championship, but even that may not be enough with just 5 games.

The USA? You mean the country that only beat one team in run of play in Tokyo, the Kiwis?

Those four US matches they are hosting are pairs against #18 South Korea and #50 Paraguay. I don't think that does much for your #1 ranking. I think that's called a "geez-I-pray-we-don't-get-embarrassed-again" tour.

Trying to hold our ranking is a lost cause. It's not like women's hockey where few other countries take it seriously. It's exactly the opposite. What some countries are doing in terms of providing opportunities for their women is just mindblowing.

Why fight the inevitable? Why not just be like everyone else and get your house healthy and in order on the women's side (and something to be as proud of as our national team), and then just let the chips fall where they may.