Peterborough Welcomes Electric City Football Club

Cblake

• 1 month later...
4 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:
...but they are still fining Simcoe Rovers for not completing the fixture? Something a little warped going on here, if that implies what it appears to. 

If the officials did not stop the game, and Rovers refused to return to the pitch they have committed an infraction. Given the post-match finding here is how what I suggest the sanctions should have been as it appears IMO that the officials failed in their duty. They would have been made aware of the allegations and are supposed to suspend play and/or call the match off in these situations.

Electric City: fine and point deduction

Rovers: $1 fine as a token for technically breaking the rules

Game Officials: suspension until such time as they have completed a refresher course

On 7/22/2022 at 12:44 PM, ted said:

If the officials did not stop the game, and Rovers refused to return to the pitch they have committed an infraction. Given the post-match finding here is how what I suggest the sanctions should have been as it appears IMO that the officials failed in their duty. They would have been made aware of the allegations and are supposed to suspend play and/or call the match off in these situations.

Electric City: fine and point deduction

Rovers: $1 fine as a token for technically breaking the rules

Game Officials: suspension until such time as they have completed a refresher course

I don't think fans have the right to say whatever they want at games and I try to act like I would if my young kids were with me (even though they have only been to 1 game), but if every game was suspended if/when a fan said something offensive to/about a player (or ref, coach, etc.), we won't get through many games at all. Kick the fan out of the game when you can determine who it is, fine the teams, I am fine with all of that. But I'm not too keen to be watching a game on TV and all of a sudden it stops or is abandoned because some idiot fan said something they shouldn't have.

3 hours ago, Kent said:

...but if every game was suspended if/when a fan said something offensive to/about a player (or ref, coach, etc.), we won't get through many games at all.

Kent, we aren't talking about barracking the ref. We are talking the FIFA has a policy for how to handle racist and homophobic chanting which states, "Referees would first stop the match and request a public announcement to insist that the discriminatory behavior cease. If this has no effect, he or she can then suspend play again and, if the racist, behavior persists, abandon the match."

On 7/27/2022 at 3:27 PM, ted said:

Kent, we aren't talking about barracking the ref. We are talking the FIFA has a policy for how to handle racist and homophobic chanting which states, "Referees would first stop the match and request a public announcement to insist that the discriminatory behavior cease. If this has no effect, he or she can then suspend play again and, if the racist, behavior persists, abandon the match."

True. Exactly this. If they made the announcement and the chants stopped (however that happens, whoever was doing it), it alters the circumstances. 

Sanctioning and fines depends on league rules. If the referee considers the problem has been addressed he's in his right to require the game to continue. 

If Electric has supporter groups who are fine hearing that from amongst their midst, or just fans in the stands, then this dreamboat project has a problem. 

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

• 3 weeks later...
19 hours ago, rydermike said:

A detailed article describing exactly what happened in the match (and other matches).

https://torontosun.com/sports/soccer/torontonian-at-centre-of-racial-incident-in-soccer-speaks-out-i-just-started-throwing-up

Wow, of all places, this article shows up in the Toronto Sun. But the comments section reminded us the Sun readers haven't changed.

Second, at nearly 6000 words, it has to be longest article about soccer I have read in recent times from the Canadian media -again very unusual coming from the Sun tabloid chain.

And it wasn't your usual