Peterborough Welcomes Electric City Football Club

Cblake

This is great to see as my families place in the country is about half an hour from Peterborough. Will definitely check out some games. Electric City Football Club is now officially part of the soccer scene in Peterborough and will be a part of League1 Ontario, the provinces Pro-Am, standards-based, senior soccer league. 

https://www.ptbocanada.com/journal/Peterborough Welcomes Electric City Football Club

https://kawarthanow.com/2021/08/09/professional-soccer-to-make-its-debut-in-peterborough-in-may-2022/

image.png.aea0075793edfbe613bc804879604490.png

Edited by Cblake

• 5 months later...

I am very impressed with Electric City FC in Peterborough. They have a team store selling all sorts of gear that is also available online, something I have never seen before in L10. Have had pubs night, they really putting an effort in to promote this team. I have also noticed banners hanging from the light standards around town. This new team seems to have some real ambition behind it. They also have recently announced partnerships with five local area youth soccer clubs.  Now the only question left to answer is where they are playing?

https://www.thepeterboroughexaminer.com/sports/soccer/2022/02/03/electric-city-football-club-partnering-with-five-peterborough-area-youth-soccer-clubs.html

10 hours ago, shayanbenjuman said:

I fell laughing when I heard the name first time 'Electric City'. Though they are good to go and they will be kicking off women’s & men’s League1 Ontario, spring 2022.

This is interesting, they have formed a partnership with two other L1O teams to oversea the ECFC reserve teams. Looks like ECFC will also have U19 and U21 teams.

(Peterborough, ON) - After forming a groundbreaking local partnership with five local youth soccer clubs earlier last week, Electric City Football Club (ECFC) has announced it has signed two affiliation agreements with well-established and successful League1 Ontario clubs FC Durham and Toronto Skillz FC.

These affiliation agreements give the club three well-established ‘farm teams’ that will allow players in the ECFC system that are not ready for the first team yet a place to play, develop and work towards that final goal of wearing the 1st team Electric City FC jersey in Peterborough. 

Toronto Skillz FC, located in Scarborough, will field ECFC’s League1 Ontario U21 Men’s Reserve side.  

“We are excited to partner with Electric City FC and to be part of this ambitious project. We believe that Rob and his team are setting the standards and creating a template on how to build a club and a team.”  Jake Doodnath, President and Technical Director of Toronto Skillz FC said. “We see our relationship with ECFC providing a direct pathway for talented players to showcase themselves.” 

FC Durham, located in Oshawa, will field ECFC’s only Women’s League1 Ontario Reserve side and the ECFC League1 Ontario U19 Men’s Reserve team.  

“FC Durham programs have a long-standing history of providing scholarship opportunities to players making the transition to post-secondary play,” Ron Clarke, Technical Director at FC Durham, said, “This affiliation ensures a deep, talented, homegrown player pool providing female and male players the ability to stay local and provide a pathway to a professional soccer career.” 

These relationships complete a clear pathway for local players who are currently playing for their local youth club but have ambitions to one day play professionally for the Electric City FC first team.

“We are very excited to have been able to partner with two great organizations to run our reserve teams this season.” ECFC President Rob Jenkins explained. “It was important to us to ensure that we have a complete, clear and realistic reserve team setup to develop potential first team players from the region.  FC Durham and Toronto Skillz have both demonstrated their ability to develop and prepare players for the next level having both regularly sent women and men to the collegiate and pro levels.” 

The reserve teams will compete in the League1 Ontario Reserve Leagues kicking off in spring of 2022 and running until the fall. All three teams will wear their own club’s jerseys for competitions but will also wear the Electric City FC Patch on their shoulder to acknowledge the partnership. 

19 minutes ago, MM3/MM2/MM said:

https://northerntribune.ca/electric-city-fc-lands-zachary-ellis-hayden/

What a signing for L1O, would have fit in nicely with any CPL team, Electric City even paid a transfer fee, some money being pumped into L1O.

canadian-premier-league-zachary-ellis-hayden.jpg

Man, am I really impressed with Electric City. This club has real aspirations. It really does show you the difference what a team wants to be from one L1O club to another. CPL is in the cards here for sure, could see a Halifax type stadium down the road. This has to be the first transfer fee paid by a L10 team?

4 hours ago, Pottsy3 said:

Holy crap, that surely announces your presence. We may have our Canadian version of FC Cinncinati in the making (ignoring the shitty results theyve had since moving up)

FC Cincinnati continued acting like a USL team when they moved to MLS.  Electric City looks more like an L10 team acting like a CPL side right now. It will be pretty interesting to see how it goes.

The new L1O structure is positive in some ways as it is always difficult to get clubs to agree to potentially being relegated. When viewed more cynically though, the two season moratorium on new entries and the single promotion places thereafter looks like it could be a way to protect existing suburban youth club members from an influx of new entries that want to adopt the same approach as Electric City and create something closer to what the NSL used to provide in southern Ontario.

6 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

The new L1O structure is positive in some ways as it is always difficult to get clubs to agree to potentially being relegated. When viewed more cynically though, the two season moratorium on new entries and the single promotion places thereafter looks like it could be a way to protect existing suburban youth club members from an influx of new entries that want to adopt the same approach as Electric City and create something closer to what the NSL used to provide in southern Ontario.

I get what you are saying, but I don't see it that way. Relegation within L1O shouldn't be a huge deal to these teams. It's not the same as dropping down from the EPL to the Championship. There isn't TV money for the top tier of L1O, and I don't think the friends and family crowds will stop going to games because their team is in the 2nd tier instead of the 1st tier, or missing an influx of fans/eyeballs for high profile games against Sigma or Vaughan Azzuri like teams get when playing Chelsea or Manchester City.

I think this pro/rel announcement is only good... except for the stupid naming that I already complained about, but that's just my opinion.

Great to see , the media coverage Electric City is getting for their first player signings including a write up in the Peterborough Examiner. I really have to say I have never seen a L10 with the profile like ECFC is trying to achieve. Even in the markets farther from the GTA , has a team ever for this much attention, what is is like in Windsor and London for example? I seems like Simcoe County is trying to do something similar. 

Electric City Football Club signs first players | ThePeterboroughExaminer.com

Impressive signing for a L1O team, 25 years-old, played in Norway Tier 2 last season formerly with Cavalry FC.   I will have to make it to Peterborough (3 hour drive) for a game this season.

Posted by Mango in Former CPL Players:

From @WestHam, @Hannover96, @CPLCavalryFC to the Electric City.

ECFC has signed Jordan Brown from @FylkirFC. #WeAreECFC @L1OMens pic.twitter.com/sMo8CmQC1v

— Electric City Football Club (@ElectricCityFC) February 18, 2022

9 hours ago, MM3/MM2/MM said:

Impressive signing for a L1O team, 25 years-old, played in Norway Tier 2 last season formerly with Cavalry FC.   I will have to make it to Peterborough (3 hour drive) for a game this season.

ECFC has signed Jordan Brown from @FylkirFC. #WeAreECFC @L1OMens pic.twitter.com/sMo8CmQC1v

My family has a farm about half an hour from Peterborough and honestly I am looking forward to checking out some games this season, have never really seen a L10 team built this away with exposure off the field and player signings to back it up. They have been getting regular coverage in the Peterborough Examiner. 

https://www.thepeterboroughexaminer.com/sports/soccer/2022/02/18/electric-city-football-club-signs-jordan-brown-in-landmark-signing-for-league1-ontario.html

On 2/18/2022 at 11:48 AM, MM3/MM2/MM said:

Duplicate post. 

Edited by Cblake

13 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I'd also appreciate it if anyone could give a stadium lowdown--and let us know where they are playing in the meantime.

I have heard they will play at either Trent or Fleming this year.

For 2023 they will have a natural grass stadium behind a sports complex on chemong rd. They will be laying down the sod this year. In 2023 the stadium will have 2000 seats and for 2024 if they reach the CPL it will be expanded to 5000 with enclosed seating. 

1 hour ago, Mikmacdo said:

I have heard they will play at either Trent or Fleming this year.

For 2023 they will have a natural grass stadium behind a sports complex on chemong rd. They will be laying down the sod this year. In 2023 the stadium will have 2000 seats and for 2024 if they reach the CPL it will be expanded to 5000 with enclosed seating. 

Does Trent have any type of stands or would likely have to bring in something of a temporary measure? At least with no gridirion team at Trent those lines are not on the field there. 

• 2 weeks later...