Canada Soccer says there will be a celebration tour for #canWNT. Dates and games to be announced at a later date.

Cblake

This is amazing, exactly what the women deserve, giving the country coast to coast the chance to celebrate their Gold Medal triumph !! This afternoon at BMO Field, Canada Soccer president Nick Bontis at a press conference with Adrian Leon, Ashley Lawrence and Kadeisha Buchanan it was also mentioned that the gold medal will help Canada get a pro women's league of its own, and he's committed to the cause. The growth of the game in this country can only go up. 

Edited by Cblake

40 minutes ago, JohnnyFranchise said:

i wonder what this consists of.

i was thinking get the players to appear at the mls/cpl matches, get a huge cheer and standing ovation, and start focusing on australia - new zealand.

It will consistent of a yet to be determined amount of games being played across the country. The USSF has does this in the past after Gold Medal and World Cup victories. If it were not for the pandemic a parade would have been great too. 

9 minutes ago, Cblake said:

It will consistent of a yet to be determined amount of games being played across the country. The USSF has does this in the past after Gold Medal and World Cup victories. If it were not for the pandemic a parade would have been great too. 

the americans do a post-tournament tour regardless of the result as a way to generate more revenue for player compensation (they're doing a 4 game tour for this olympics). a parade would be overkill, for a world cup win for sure. i just want this celebration tour to get done quickly, i just feel like we need to be turning our focus to the world cup as soon as possible. 

32 minutes ago, JohnnyFranchise said:

the americans do a post-tournament tour regardless of the result as a way to generate more revenue for player compensation (they're doing a 4 game tour for this olympics). a parade would be overkill, for a world cup win for sure. i just want this celebration tour to get done quickly, i just feel like we need to be turning our focus to the world cup as soon as possible. 

I would be surprised if it happened quickly. Do we want it to?  I mean with covid restrictions in place it might not be a great time to do it.

Wait a bit and see what the restrictions are like early fall.

4 minutes ago, admin said:

I would be surprised if it happened quickly. Do we want it to?  I mean with covid restrictions in place it might not be a great time to do it.

Wait a bit and see what the restrictions are like early fall.

fair enough. but like i said earlier, do some appearances at the mls/cpl games, get a cheer and ovation, and then maybe host a tournament next summer that can act as a world cup prep tourney.

Just now, JohnnyFranchise said:

fair enough. but like i said earlier, do some appearances at the mls/cpl games, get a cheer and ovation, and then maybe host a tournament next summer that can act as a world cup prep tourney.

Creating our own tournament would be fantastic.  We need something for home games that is other than a simple friendly. 

Official games for the women at home are rare because of how qualification is structured. 

1 minute ago, admin said:

Creating our own tournament would be fantastic.  We need something for home games that is other than a simple friendly. 

Official games for the women at home are rare because of how qualification is structured. 

absolutely.

in my mind we'd have maybe a 6-team tournament, all round robin, playing games across the country. works as a "tour" of sorts, but gives it some competitive spirit and 5 more good competitive games for our girls to prep for WC.

44 minutes ago, admin said:

It would be great to see the CSA make a play for the 2022 CONCACAF Women's Championship, which acts as the qualifier for the 2023 World Cup. I can't think of a better showcase for this team on home soil. 

2 hours ago, Cblake said:

It would be great to see the CSA make a play for the 2022 CONCACAF Women's Championship, which acts as the qualifier for the 2023 World Cup. I can't think of a better showcase for this team on home soil. 

i was thinking more of creating our own tournament and inviting top teams. Germany, France, Spain, Brazil, etc.. Even Australia and New Zealand would be looking for competition leading up to hosting the WC.

i mean, 4 concacaf teams qualify for the WC, FOUR. I just looked that up and was floored. so really we could field our u-20 team and still qualify. i'd rather host a tourney with some real competition to it.

16 hours ago, Cblake said:

This is amazing, exactly what the women deserve, giving the country coast to coast the chance to celebrate their Gold Medal triumph !! This afternoon at BMO Field, Canada Soccer president Nick Bontis at a press conference with Adrian Leon, Ashley Lawrence and Kadeisha Buchanan it was also mentioned that the gold medal will help Canada get a pro women's league of its own, and he's committed to the cause. The growth of the game in this country can only go up. 

Where did you see this news about a tour?

1 hour ago, Bison44 said:

What the heck is wrong with Canada???  Tim Hortons, A+W or Canadian Tire couldnt have put their name on a tour like this and made a nice little marketing campaign??  

It has only been less than a week since they won Gold. I am sure their will be corporate interest in such a tour of matches across the country. There would be great opportunity for engagement with such a platform. Gives this some time, it is the dog days of summer. 

On 8/10/2021 at 11:50 PM, admin said:

They should do some sort of creative solution, like playing an all-star match, east-west, I don't know. 

But I imagine they'll do an invitational with a solid international rival or two, and respect FIFA dates.

I dislike the idea of the women being a little appendix at the start or halftime of a CPL or MLS match. 

22 hours ago, red card said:

Telling that the only sponsor on the sponsor board at the media presser is the government of Canada. 

It isn't the only sponsor, the Olympic sponsor of Team Canada, Hudson Bay is being worn there. Their contract almost certainly extends to things like this.

Same goes for "why haven't we done XYZ yet... .CSA is so stupid..... "  It's not CSA, is it the Olympic Team or the National Team?  When you organize that tour... what are you selling?  It matters, and it isn't simple.

49 minutes ago, admin said:

It isn't the only sponsor, the Olympic sponsor of Team Canada, Hudson Bay is being worn there. Their contract almost certainly extends to things like this.

Same goes for "why haven't we done XYZ yet... .CSA is so stupid..... "  It's not CSA, is it the Olympic Team or the National Team?  When you organize that tour... what are you selling?  It matters, and it isn't simple.

Right. They're not wearing CSA merch in that clip. As much as Nike would have loved to have them decked out in Canada Soccer gear, all three women are wearing HBC stuff for a reason.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
5 hours ago, Cblake said:

When will the CSA finally announce something and make the most of this golden opportunity?

I swear at the TFC vs York United game last night they mentioned on the PA something about a celebration tour. Time is running out for games this year though.

2 minutes ago, Kent said:

I swear at the TFC vs York United game last night they mentioned on the PA something about a celebration tour. Time is running out for games this year though.

I saw something along the lines of the same thing last night at the game, not exactly sure what was said or announced. Hopefully something is revealed soon.