Match Thread: August 4, 2021 - Forge v York United

Giving that penalty to Borges was like Sinclair handing the ball to Beckie. I get the thinking in a potential confidence boost but if York scap a winning goal somehow or even scrape the draw, it's important points lost. 

Pull these shenanigans when you are already ahead. IMO.

Fun half. York clearly the worse team but still in the game and they are having a bit of success at times coming forward. The Forge defence is certainly not infallible.

Could be a season turning performance for York.. 

..Probably not but a hell of a second half performance and an incredible show from Zator, whom Forge will be wishing didn't have his red card rescinded. In the end York were a side possessed who simply wanted it more. They were fortuitous on several occasions but fortune favours the brave and they battle like bezerkers after the harsh second yellow.

Have to feel sorry for the disheveled looking figure that was Tristan Borges. There was little else he couldn't do in that first half and start of the second except put the ball into the back of the net. It's been a long road home since the disaster of a move to Belgium and he isn't there yet. I think the league mighy be on notice though on today's evidence, if one or two start going in that swagger will return. He was little boy lost by the finish though. 😢

Arrrrhhhhh!!!! If you can't score you can't win! Not what I wanted but a really fun night. Got to sit by York's Isaiah Johnson's (#44) family which was cool. Wanted to constantly ask them the dirt on the past year and a half but I behaved. All I got was Johnson was disappointed that Telfer left. Deserved win for York. Attendance wasn't  announced but it seemed decent. Probably looked empty on the TV as usual though. I'm very appreciative that I have a team to support but man, they were not considering footy when they designed that stadium. As for the game... couldn't buy a goal tonight. Great defense by York. Bit of bad luck hitting the woodwork and now I've seen Borges get blanked on the spot twice at home! Anyway... I'm gonna stop now and enjoy my buzz. CPL FOREVER!!!!

Johnston

It was so great to be back at the stadium watching Forge live, we caught up with lots of old friends and had a fun time despite the result! Forge could/should have been up 3 nil at one point and York would have very little to complain about, more disappointment from Borge on the PK, I certainly wouldn't have had him take it! Forge have got major injury concerns and they became worse tonight with Johonsen limping off with what may be a serious injury, there aren't many pure finishers in this squad and as the match went on Forge were clearly out of ideas even against 10 men!

8 hours ago, gator said:

It was so great to be back at the stadium watching Forge live, we caught up with lots of old friends and had a fun time despite the result! Forge could/should have been up 3 nil at one point and York would have very little to complain about, more disappointment from Borge on the PK, I certainly wouldn't have had him take it! Forge have got major injury concerns and they became worse tonight with Johonsen limping off with what may be a serious injury, there aren't many pure finishers in this squad and as the match went on Forge were clearly out of ideas even against 10 men!

I echo that first part, so great to be back in the stadium after so long.

Feels like Tristan Borges is still trying to gain his confidence back a bit. Hesitant on a few attacks and lost the ball a couple of times. Having not seen Mo Babouli live in about 5 years, I forgot how fun he is to watch. His arena soccer background seemed to come into play a few times, broke Halley's ankles near the end of the match. Triston Henry's distribution scared me a few times. Dom Samuel is still a big boy, but he's like a bull chasing red the way he tracks back.

1 hour ago, Pottsy3 said:

I echo that first part, so great to be back in the stadium after so long.

Feels like Tristan Borges is still trying to gain his confidence back a bit. Hesitant on a few attacks and lost the ball a couple of times. Having not seen Mo Babouli live in about 5 years, I forgot how fun he is to watch. His arena soccer background seemed to come into play a few times, broke Halley's ankles near the end of the match. Triston Henry's distribution scared me a few times. Dom Samuel is still a big boy, but he's like a bull chasing red the way he tracks back.

I think Borges is still struggling to come back from the knee injury as well as finding some confidence, that's probably why he took the pk but that didn't work out so well, it should have been Babouli's after how he buried his last one! Samuel is such a solid versatile player, an important guy to have on this team given the defensive injuries, I look forward to returning on Sunday!

10 hours ago, cronaldo7 said:

Attended my first CPL match tonight (was out of country in the inaugural season). 

Was pleasantly surprised with the atmosphere, decent turnout for the match. Reminded me a little of the early TFC days.

Many of my TFC friends say the same thing when they attend their first Forge match, it has that early organic feel of the supporting TFC at the start. I don't think the caliber of play is too far off MLS 07!

Definitely good to be out there again!  I was in the same section as Johnston and Halley families as well so must have been pretty close to @Ftduck.  Babouli was very impressive, fun to watch.  Also thought Johnny Grant had a strong game.  Johnston from York I thought looked pretty good, although he had a couple bad giveaways.  Crowd was much larger than I thought it would be.